The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

fly tying kits

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leathertom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: fly tying kits Reply with quote

can I get some names of some good fly kits on the market these days.I looked at 1 type that was very similar to one when I got it back in n65 but it was only to tye 3-6 flys and they wanted 45.00 for that kind of money I should be able to tye at least 20 or more.at least one that would let me tye aleast ten of the most commonly used for trout,
in other words the best bang for the buck and I could order it online I live here in calif near the beach south of lax where the girls wear band aids most of the time ,and so im bored ha ha going to ireland for 3 weeks and would like to have a few flys ready as they are WAYY TOOO MUCCH EXPENSIVE AS THE DOLLAR IS o0h well Id rather be fishin anyway
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than getting a fly tying kit which often contains materials you will never use, it might be more cost effective to plan which flies you want to tie and then work out what materials you need to tie these flies. Then you won't be paying for materials you won't be using.

Don't plan on buying any fishing equipment over here in the UK. With the dollar so week against the £ (and even Euro?) you won't have any favours with the exchange rate. A lot cheaper to buy in the US or Canada.

Basics such as hooks, threads, tinsels, pheasant tail feathers, marabou, chenille and dubbing will tie you a decent selection of flies. Others can perhaps make more suggestions too

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! how come i didn't see chris reply to leathertom until i came to reply myself? if it wasn't tuesday i'd be embarrassed for wearing this cabbage on my head.
Leathertom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok yes I have to agree with you chris most kits dont really have what you need but thought Id see if you guys who are in this for a while may have a few choices as such someone might have gotten off his duff and put a realistic together.Oh byeah I know the money thing thats why I have been trying to get you guys to give me a current list of flys that are working in the irish rivers and lakes then I could tye some up here.the most flys that can be bought go for .50 to 2; 00 apiece and ya still dont know for sure.if you could give me a list of all around generally agreed on then that would be a good start.AND TO THE GUY WITH CABBAGE BEFORE WE GOT SOBER 23 yrs ago we would have some corned beef to go with it ,why not make a meal of it ha ha
Flyrod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leathertom,

Don't buy kits. I bought my first tying kit 5 years ago on Bass Pro Shops and yeah, it was cheap, but mostly crap. I don't know if there are good fly shops in LA, at least not for trout fishermen, so your best bet will be the web. If you hang out with trout guys, more experienced than you, I'm sure they'll gladly give away some materials and advice. That's just how generous we are. Very Happy

For trout fishing, my 5 tops are: Hare's Ear, Red Fox squirrel, Water Boatman, Wooly Buggers, Elk Hair Caddis. If you have those five in your fly box, you'll catch trout most of the time. And yes, they are all very easy to tie and inexpensive.
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT, been window shopping.

http://www.tightlines.co.uk/Index_TLD.cfm?CFID=8681957&CFTOKEN=48a8d29f688058f2-4C6F151D-65BF-7492-BA46F996A762898D

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/

maybe our more experienced flyer's can help Wink
Steeldrifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tying for about 16 years or more now and run a fly tying website as well, and this question is probably the most common one we get on that site. My anwser is exactly what chris said. Stay away from "kits". The problem with kits are you will get a number of materials..half of which are materials you will never even use, and the quality of the materials will be very very poor. And tying with poor quality material when your just starting tying will make it seem alot harder than it needs to be.

Do just as was suggested...decied what fly you want to tie and get just the materials to tie that fly (to start out with).

So if you wanted to tie a bunch of wooly buggers then you'd get -

pack of hooks
Card of chinelle
Marabou
Hackle neck (strung)

Thats only about $10 worth of materials right there to tie that fly and you could easily tie about 20-25 buggers with all that.

Then move on to the next pattern you want to tie and get just what you need for that one.

you'll save yourself alot of money and be alot better off.

Also if your just getting into tying think about getting a copy of "fly tyers benchside Reference". That is THE best tying book ever made IMO and will be the only instructional book you will ever need. You can find it online for about $50. It's not cheap but it is very well worth it!

Steve
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not being sarcastic guys, come on sell us some of that gear lost behind you tying benches.
Leathertom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks yeah the flys you mentioned are coming up a lot so this is what I was lookin for a few of you guys telling me your 5 or 10 best flys then I can go get the material and tye em.I have some mini vises ,from my elec tech work Iam a ham radio guy and I like to build my own stuff,I was just thinkin maybe Id take a pole and see .Thanks chobson but the shops I would buy from would be in the states but are a very good source to use and learn from.
Leathertom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey steeldrifter thanks I ve got your drift.By the way Im a ham radio tech and bI also reload my own ammo,as you can see I really like to get involved in my hobbies.Your rite I have small vises and can buy the materials I did this for a while when I was 13 and got a kit for my birthday then a coupla years later it my rod and reel got stolen so I am just now decided to try it again since Iam going to ireland for a few weeks in sept.My dad was an engineer and when something broke IT was (get the book figure itout whats the cost then do it your self) he rubbed off alittle on me ha ha.
chobson
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT,

http://www.fly-dressing.co.uk/
Leathertom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot to say why my name is leathertom.
I got into making stuff from leather abt 23 yrs ago any thing from book covers ,bible covers gun cases and anything you can think of made from leather Ive probly come close.I lived on an indian res for a few yrs and my friends would give me their hides and Id tann em a nd make stuff,I was a caretaker on 20 acres no elec no phone.I met this indian lady at a sober meeting and she was lookin for a caretaker to protect her land and keep poachers out,it worked out for 17 yrs then I moved back to the city after I got cancer of the throat and moved in with a friend to recuperate that was a coupla yrs ago .
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Check out the fly tying section on this board and you'll see what people have suggested in the past.

There are often some great deals to be had on Ebay on fly tying kits as people give up and sell all their stuff in one go just to get rid of it. I've seen some very good kits with good materials go fairly cheap

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Ian_D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that kits aren't the way to go, but if you think that tying your own is a way to save money you're in for a big shock unless you possess reserves of willpower way beyond that of most tyers. Laughing Laughing
For less money than I've spent on tools and materials I could have bought enough flies to be able to chuck them away after a couple of casts. (On thinking about it my casting is such that that's damn near what I do anyway).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: