The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

New to the forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecuadorrebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Hello from the Andes Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Steve and I live in Quito, Ecuador. I have been fishing for most of my life but my passion has been fly fishing ever since I was introduced to it about 30 years ago. I lived in various parts of the U. S. until about 7 years ago when I moved to the Andes. Most of my fishing is done above 12,000 feet where the air is crisp and clean and the trout are wild and healthy. You can fish an entire week here without seeing another fisherman. Most trout are in the 6 to 9 inch range as the river are small and swift, but the lakes hold "bows" over 26 inches. I make my own flies as well as my own fly rods. I generally fish with a 4 wt. but recently built a 2 wt. which has proven to be a lot of fun. I am going to be building a 00 wt. sometime soon. I am planning a trip to Montana the first week of August and will be fishing the Madison and the Yellowstone. This will be my first time there and can use some pointers if you have any experience in this area of the country. Looking forward to being part of the forum.
Bazza
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the Andes Reply with quote

ecuadorrebel wrote:
Hi, my name is Steve and I live in Quito, Ecuador. I have been fishing for most of my life but my passion has been fly fishing ever since I was introduced to it about 30 years ago. I lived in various parts of the U. S. until about 7 years ago when I moved to the Andes. Most of my fishing is done above 12,000 feet where the air is crisp and clean and the trout are wild and healthy. You can fish an entire week here without seeing another fisherman. Most trout are in the 6 to 9 inch range as the river are small and swift, but the lakes hold "bows" over 26 inches. I make my own flies as well as my own fly rods. I generally fish with a 4 wt. but recently built a 2 wt. which has proven to be a lot of fun. I am going to be building a 00 wt. sometime soon. I am planning a trip to Montana the first week of August and will be fishing the Madison and the Yellowstone. This will be my first time there and can use some pointers if you have any experience in this area of the country. Looking forward to being part of the forum.

Wecome Equadorrean or Steve, to the forum.

Would also like you to know, that you have the distinction of being the first fly fisher
from Equador I have ever "met" & no doubt that is so for many here.

Cheers Barry
ecuadorrebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Barry,

Appreciate the welcome. There aren't many people here that fish on the fly. I have some friends that do some spin casting, but I haven't run into any other fly fisherman. The biggest problem here is getting to the streams and lakes. There are no roads that parallel the streams like they have in the States. I can get about a half a mile from one of my favorite spots, but then I have to climb about another 1000 feet to get there. It wears you down but it is worth it when you get there. The trout are real skittish because the water is crystal clear and about 2 feet deep. The fish worry about birds of prey more than fisherman. Any ripple in the water can send them swimming. I will try to send some photos of my next outing down here.

Steve
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have added to this thread, it's nice to see more and more countries being represented on the forum!

Chris

Fish SKB - The Very Best Fly Fishing Tackle and Fishing Flies
Casting At Shadows - New Zealand and Christmas Island DVDs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Wink

Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - any new members want to introduce themselves to the other nutters? Laughing

Officer Clipboard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a fairly recent addition to the Forum. I registered a while ago but have just stated posting.
I live in Staines and have recently been re-introduced to the pleasures of fly fishing through friends. I started fly fishing while I was wee lad and was addicted to all types of fishing throughout my teens. I then discovered girls, beer and clubbing and the fishing took a back seat! Laughing Since then, I guess I've only had a few outings but recently, I introduced 3 friends to fly fishing and not only have they caught the bug, its got me too! Very Happy
I used to class Syon as my local fishery but now I think it will be Haliford as it's only a few miles from Staines. However, I like to venture further afield and try different waters. Recently, I have fished Albury, Dever Springs, Woodington, Meon Springs and hopefully this Sunday, Haliford Mere.
I also like photography and whenever I try somewhere new, I try to take photos and make notes as I like to write reviews. My first attempt was the review I wrote for Meon Springs which is posted in this forum.
My name 'FlybySage' is because I have a Sage 690RPL rod which is my fav rod and that I obviously like fly fishing, so, whilst I was trying to think of a forum name, I came up with FlybySage.
Looking forward to any social events that might come up soon!
Regards
FbS.
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the introduction FbS, nice to have you on board. Keep your eyes peeled for the 3 day Spring Social at Elinor Wink

yella dug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i joined forum in dec 2008
fished of attempted to do so from the age of 10....dad was forced to take me
have fished all over Scotland from the seventies onwards plus a few wee trips to
Canada,Norway and Rutland.Love the wild brownies in the north particulary Sutherland
and Watten is not a bad second.Used to fish Leven before the algae and Menteith when it
had browns (as opposed to silver snakes)
try my hand on the rivers for wee brownies and sea trout, river on back door so lots of
opps to pick the best times and right tides (for the salmon )
enjoy this forum esp. the fly tying section as i am always looking for "this seasons must have "
or a vairiant that might work or is an improvement on my version
Now do most of my "loch" fishing at Glencouse during the season interspersed with wee trips up
north with an yearly trip to Englandshire for Rutland (just to see if the Jocks can still crack it)
p.s just recently started fishing Lomond in the winter for pike ....better than frozen over ponds
using poppers on a fast pull ............its a giggle
tight lines for 2009 ...........and put back as many wild browns as you can,we all know what a
dead one looks like

regards
yella dug
Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated welcome to the forum Yella dug.
Are u sure its no a broon dug Very Happy
JeffR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I signed up a while back but had forgotten all about it Embarassed, having been a bit distracted by a "certain other forum", several names from which I recognise on here. Then I got a happy new year e-mail from Chris and remembered! ...so very, VERY belated "hello". Hopefully I'll remember to post a bit more often on here, especially as there's a bit more coarse fishing banter and I'm doing about 50/50 fly and coarse at the moment - well more coarse come to think of it over the winter (rivers). Just joined a local club with some of the lower Dove, so hoping to renew my aquaintance with a barbel or two (not done any barbel fishing for about 12 years), plus some grayling and trout on the fly when conditions/seasons suit Smile Fly fishing wise I've lost a bit of interest in small stockie waters, which is what there's most of near me, but when I can I enjoy fishing Carsington and Draycote. Also rivers up in Cumbria and a few Lakes, since I've been going up there regularly for around 12 years and have a few pals up that way now Very Happy
Chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you on here Jeff Smile

Invicta
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Jeff Very Happy
Amadan Eile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been a lurker on here for over a year now but I guess should come out of hiding at some point.

I've met some of you at the last two winter grayling socials (lots of fun and made to feel really welcome.... Bill amazing at sorting it all out, will endeavour to catch something next year).

I've been fishing since the season before last- managed a trip a year in addition to the Grayling mainly because past caring dragged me out.

Determined this year to fish more- I'm definitely a newbie and have figured out that this lark mostly involves practicing. So I'm booking a casting lesson or two before March rolls around.

Living in London and lacking a license (for driving...) means Walthamstow is where I can get to at the moment- I might manage to catch one of the tower blocks round about with my back cast the way things are going. If anyone is going to be at Walthamstow then possibly worth pming me if you want company (and to be asked lots of beginners questions).

Anyway, hope to post more often and lurk less from now on.

Martin/Amadan Eile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: