The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that surprised to hear of fish farm casualties given the exceptionally hot weather. However I am surprised to hear that it has caused a fish kill on the lakes as well, given that they both have aerators and a 23C water temperature shouldn't be life threatening ... unless people have been practicing C&R? . Confused

I am hoping to get out before the weekend as I want a couple of fish for the table (absolutely no C&R in this weather) so if I do I will report back in due course Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lifted from BW facebook page:

The following dates will have 1 lake open only for boat fishing. Bank fishing still available on all our watersas normal. We have tried to share the boat activity out between both Chew and Blagdon. These days will be vital for our team to carry out other essential works around our fisheries and fish farms. Any date not mentioned, both waters will be available for boat fishing.
Monday 1st August Blagdon Only
Tuesday 2nd August Chew Only
Wednesday 3rd August Blagdon Only
Thursday 4th August Chew Only
Friday 5th August Chew Only
Monday 8th August Blagdon Only
Wedneaday 17th August Chew Only
Thursday 18th August Chew Only
Friday 19th August Blagdon Only
Please also be aware that the 1st - 4th September all boats are fully booked for The Cortland Team Championships
BW Lakeside Team
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently enquired to BWW's at Chew, about booking their Wheelyboat.& John Harris, said that apart from needing some work done to it, new seals etc, it's use had been "temporarily suspended", pending safety reports. This was in light of the recent situation at another S.W.W. venue, that had an identical model. Which, imho had been overloaded, with six people & TWO wheelchairs.

This boat sank, when the boat became unbalanced, with the standing passengers all went to one side & only four people survived, as both wheelchairs & their passengers, were strapped in. I don't know the purpose of this "jolly" but assume it was pretty unlikely, to be fishing, as many venues use them as multipurpose boats, that provide disabled facilities.

Surely there ought to be far better training in the use of these boats, especially as that model has been superseded several times, with limits on the number of people/wheelchairs & methods used to retain them.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Wheely Boats Reply with quote

That is a poor show Arkle.Trust they may get it sorted sooner rather than later.Does same apply to Blagdon ?.

Best. JP
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That incident was at Roadford Devon. Apparently the wheel chair users were strapped into the wheel chairs so not a surprising outcome if the boat tips over.
A very sad incident but more the fault of the wardens for letting the boat out than a fault of the boat.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie
Bongoch
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been out recently? Haven't been out since the end of June due to a combination of a fishing trip to Iceland and then recovering from a bout of COVID which I caught whilst away. The latest BW fishing report reads quite well but mostly talks about boat fishing so was hoping someone might be able to give an update on the bank fishing front.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongoch wrote:
Has anyone been out recently?

Funny you should ask, Bongoch! I had a half day boat this morning on Chew as I wanted a few fish for the table. I was the only one in the car park at 8am with the lake to myself , although I was told in the Lodge that a few more boats were booked in. The weather was dry and overcast with little wind leaving large areas of the lake flat calm. There was some surface algae in places, but underneath the clarity was pretty good for the time of year at around 3 or 4 feet.

As I was fishing for the pot I felt no shame in heading straight for the first aerator and I soon had the boat in position for the first drift. One or two fish could be seen occasionally moving in the bubbles so I set up my #6 rod with a floating line and two BDs (red and green) held up by a Booby Damsel. The boat behaved itself remarkably well by drifting very slowly towards the maelstrom each time but my first half a dozen casts came to nothing so I changed the point fly to a chain bead Damsel. That appeared to do the trick when I got a pull which didn't lock up, but was instantly followed by another that did. It quickly became clear that it was a good fish but it fought like a summer fish and came to the net without too much difficulty given that it weighed 3 -12 on my scales. However when I went to remove the fly l found it had taken the DB on the bottom dropper and the point fly was missing ! I can only assume that the first pull was part of a double hookup that made off with my fly. Rolling Eyes

I repeated the drift a couple of times without any further interest until I changed my point fly to a black Beadhead Tadpole and stepped up the retrieve. That resulted in a solid pull and after a lethargic fight punctuated by deep dives a 3-14 Rainbow joined my first fish in my bass bag. I had one other pull after that which didn't lock up, but I never got the feeling that there were lots of fish around that particular aerator and as later boats had taken up position around the other aerators , I decided it was time to checkout the bank fishing areas for future reference. Wink

When I first arrived I saw two people fishing Walley bank who had fish in their bags when they packed up so it was obviously OK. A quick inspection suggested that although 'the pipe' might not be easily accessible yet, it will be soon which is good news for August. The picnic area opposite was also well populated with 3 or 4 anglers who stayed until quite late so obviously that area is accessible and I assume is doing well.

I also had a look up into Herons down as far as the Oak Tree. That had a line of weed running parallel to the bank although it was reasonably clear further out. The bottom under the weed seemed quite soft when I poked it with my landing net handle so I'm not sure if it is possible to wade past it or not. The Beach also seemed quite weedy although it might be possible to find a clear spot and the Stones seemed fine. It was good to note that the weed down the edge of Herons from the Beach to the Oak Tree also harboured lots of small fry. However I forgot to check out Woodford.

In the calm areas on the lake the occasional trout could be seen sipping flies trapped in the surface but my plan to fish dries was scuppered when I realised my tube of sinking compound was missing. So instead I decided to spend that last hour or two on the aerators again pulling lures on a D3 as it was getting a little brighter. However I received no interest at all from the fish so as the sun was attempting to break through the clouds and I didn't want my fish to spoil, I decided to give them best and came off early at 1pm.

arkle wrote:
I recently enquired to BWW's at Chew, about booking their Wheelyboat.& John Harris, said that apart from needing some work done to it, new seals etc, it's use had been "temporarily suspended", pending safety reports .

I saw the Wheelyboat parked out by one of the cages which I thought was a little odd. That sounds like a terrible tragedy at Roadford and I have to say I wasn't that impressed by the Ranger I dealt with when I fished there a couple of years ago. He was obviously more interested in the other watersports they offered and his response to my questions about flies and the best areas to fish were 'I dunno'. It hardly filled me full of confidence in their set up. Sad

Anyway, until next time! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, arkle, blondie, Fryfishing, Bongoch, mc07fly
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCP, There is only 1 wheelyboat between the 2 lakes, BWW's do not have a suitable trailer to transfer between themn & possibly Blagdon may prove difficult for launching/mooring with that type of boat, at least with the current jetty arrangement there.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: JCP, blondie
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Walley Bank Reply with quote

Had a morning session at Walley bank on Saturday by the reeds. The water has gone down since last week. You can easily wade up to the wall.
I started on the Washing line with Diawl Bachs with very little wind and caught one of 3-12. Only a few risers so I went on to straight Nymphs
with a Cruncher on the point and caught one of 4lb. The Guy next to Me had 2, one of which was over 5lb. I thought a good day was on the cards,
and then the wind picked up making the fishing hard. That was it for Me, but I enjoyed the morning and was happy with My 2 fish.
Liked by: tenet, mc07fly, Allrounder, Doombar, arkle, JCP, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of Facebook reports pasted below dated 3rd August by BWF for those who don't do Facebook. You can find the original posts here

If, like me, you have been wondering if it is worth trout fishing in the current temperatures, the reports below may help to convince you. Very Happy

???? ???? Yesterday's Evening League ???? ????
16 Anglers fished Chew between 17:00 - 21:00. Only 4 hours fishing and landed 50 fish in total! A fantastic result for such a short period of time on the water! Some real quality fish amongst them including this 9lb 4oz clonker caught by Tony Coxhead! Washing line tactics with a red size 14 Diawl Bach dropper taming this beast!

???????????? Chew On Top Form! ????????????
Over the past 5 days boats on Chew have yielded some impressive stats!
???? 324 Fish Caught!
???? 50 Anglers!
???? 6.5 Rod Average! ????
???? 3.5lb Average Size! ????
Fish seem to be fairly well spread with Herons Green Bay, Villice, Woodford, Walley and the Dam Basin all providing fantastic sport. The average sizes at the moment are simply incredible. A variety of tactics have been working with perhaps the washing line method with a team of buzzers and/or Diawl bachs the most prolific. Late in the evening Dry fly fishing is the way forward!!!!

Top Flies:

??Claret Hopper
??Bobs Bits
??Olive Cruncher
??Red Holo Diawl Bach
??UV Buzzer
??Brown Muskins

Plenty of space this month!
At present we would recommend fishing Chew rather than Blagdon as Blagdon hasn't seen the same increase in catches as Chew since the heatwave. We are hopeful this will change in due course. Give us a call for up to date information on the fishing at the lakes and to book in! Booking also available online via the link below.

Woodford Lodge: 01275 332339
https://bristolwater.clubmate.co.uk/home
BW Lakeside Team

Alan
B.A.S.S.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to get out there but factor 40 might be on the cards next week according to the forecast. The following week, unless things change, looks mire promising.

https://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/United-Kingdom/Bath-and-North-East-Somerset/Chew-Valley-Lake/14-Day-Forecast.aspx
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting the positive reports from BWF yesterday I decided to check for myself, arriving at Walley bank on Chew shortly after 6pm. It had been a warm afternoon but partial cloud cover and a friendly wind made things look promising for the evening ahead.

The water clarity was a couple of feet and I was delighted to find that it is now possible to access the 'pipe' from the Yacht Club end giving access to clear water. As it was bright I decided to fish a chain bead Damsel on the point to get down a little deeper with two DBs on the dropper as little was showing on top.

My first few casts came to nothing before a slow deep retrieve was intercepted close in and after a sluggish fight a cracking 4lb+ Rainbow was in my net. It took the point fly. Shortly after I had another pull close in on the hang that snapped my leader at a knot (BAD ANGLING! Embarassed ) so I thought I was in for a good evening but it was not to be. Despite alternating between straight lined nymphs and a washing line I never had another pull so gave them best at dusk.

It was strange that I had more action and saw more fish move before 7pm than I did for rest of the evening despite the favourable conditions but it was great to be able to 'walk the pipe' again. Very Happy

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, Fryfishing, codfather, Doombar, JCP, blondie, arkle, tenet, Bongoch
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A less optimistic but fair assessment for the week ahead from BWF, copied from their Facebook page this morning ...

??????Fishing Update??????
This week another heatwave is set to return. We have noticed the fishing starting to become challenging once again. We expect this to continue through this week.

Bank fishing
best results are being found at Walley and Woodford Bank on Chew. When fishing these areas we highly recommend using waders to overcome the challenges of the increasing amount of weed.
We have also noticed a blue/green algae bloom appearing at Chew but are hopeful this will break up with some heavier winds towards the back end of this week. We have put up additional signage to keep members of the public informed as to the risks of this algae. Please make sure you wash hands regularly whilst fishing with us during this time.

Boat fishing at present is still best on Chew with areas such as Herons, Villice and the Dam Basin yielding the highest returns. Fishing effectively around weed beds and finding the correct thermocline that the fish are sat in is key at this time of year and is just as important as fly choice. Like the bank fishing we are expecting the boat fishing to become tricky but hopefully this spell won't last long and the promise of rain into next week comes to fruition.

We strive to keep everyone as informed as possible.

BW Lakeside

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, mc07fly, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP PRESS!!!

C&R suspended on the lakes from tomorrow (Wednesday) due to hot weather. Full announcement here

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan and I had an interesting day out on Chew yesterday in the Mediterranean conditions.
I was well prepared with factor 50 and plenty of water, the breeze helped to keep us cool and as we loaded the boat and motored out we could see the odd fish rising between the cages.
Despite Alans best efforts, local knowledge and changes of tactics we remained fishless Sad But with water temps above 23 it was not surprising.
I called it a day at five as the sun was starting to get to me but Alan carried on till last knockings.
A good chance for Alan and I to catch up, we even rescued a gull and had to be towed in due to engine failure.
We had also booked a boat for today but canceled that and I then cancelled the days fishing and boat booked at Sutton Bingham on Friday.
Thanks again to Alan for his hard work and determination Very Happy
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Liked by: mc07fly, blondie, arkle
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: