The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Back to float fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Back to float fishing Reply with quote

During the current hot spell and the now annual closure of Farmoor and many other trout fisheries due to water temperature i have dusted off the coarse fishing gear.
My local club has a small lake that has a good mix of fish stocked so I decided to spend an afternoon/ evening on there with the float and freelining method (obviously fishing just one rod at a time)

I have not lost my touch, fishing a mix of corn, paste, worms and bread flake I managed to catch Tench, bream, roach, rudd and carp. The real rod bending started when I discovered the carp were suckers for floating bread crust. It was simple chuck out a few bits of flake wait for mr carp to start sucking them down then drop in bit of flake with the hook in. It was a few hours of fun.

What did surprise me, I was the only person float fishing the others around the lake all had two rods, buzzers and ledgering. Most of the carp in the lake are between 5 and 10 pounds so the float rod is good sport, carp gear did seem a tad over kill.

The experience has re kindled an interest in coarse fishing which can't be bad.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw

Last edited by Fryfishing on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brought back some memories Peter. Back in the 70's I lived near St Albans and joined the Barnet and District Angling club. They had a number of waters one of which was a smallish carp pond. Fished it many times with floating crust with the associated edge of the seat anticipation as Carpy nosed the bait. Where has the time gone Sad
Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnet A.C is still going although several of their waters have been taken over by Verulam A C which you will also no doubt remember.

The floating bread crust is a great method which seems to be overlooked by the carp boys who concentrate on dog biscuits etc, only down side are hungry ducks Very Happy

Fryfishing
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few more sessions with the carp and bread flake, so a chance to hone the technique. In the end I was degreasing the leader up to the hook and adding floatant behind the sinking section, it made it easy to spot after the flake disappeared under the water the line moving and then set the hook.
I stuck with the center pin six pound line and a size 8 barbless hook and a one and quarter test curve rod, which was more than up to the job. All good fun but a tad predictable.
My biggest carp so far is about 8lb, I try to unhook them in the net in the water as they thrash around so much on an unhooking matt Confused

I will not be buying a Bivie and alarms any time soon.
Very Happy

[img][/img]

Last edited by Fryfishing on Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Liked by: tenet
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

I stuck with the center pin six pound line and a size 8 barbless hook and a one and quarter test curve rod, which was more than up to the job. All good fun but a tad predictable.

That sounds good to me, Peter! I also need to get out on my club stillwater again soon. Very Happy

The only problem I have is with the multitude of Ducks Coots, and Moorhens that also share the lake. They are a complete menace and can spot a lone piece of flake or a dog biscuit from a 100 yards. Even fishing sinking baits like corn can be difficult at times as they often chase the bait down and I have sometimes counted up to a dozen birds waiting patiently for me to cast out. Rolling Eyes

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: Fryfishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Coarse Fishing Discussion -> General Coarse All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: