The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Allrounders Almanac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That complex would be Hunstrete lakes which offers superb coarse fishing but unfortunately Bathampton AA do not allow fly fishing for Carp on any of their lake venues. You need to buy a season membership then a day ticket on top to fish there.

As my Forum name suggests I enjoy all forms of fishing which comes in useful when warm water makes fly fishing for trout difficult and for pike inadvisable, although fly fishing is my first preference. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: Fryfishing
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I fished Rode Hill Fishery with my Brother In law Steve who has just retired . This is a commercial fishery mainly stocked with Carp and Tench with Roach also in attendance and the usual rules applied, no keepnets, no boilies etc with a day ticket cost of £10 with an £8 concession.

We arrived shortly after 8pm to find Steve's favourite peg taken so we decided to fish on the other side of the lake. Steve's favourite plan of attack on carp fisheries is the method feeder fishing pellet on the hook and although the island was a fair chuck, he soon started to pick up fish close to it and he carried on catching steadily throughout the day. I decided to go down a different route and fished a shallow waggler with pellets feeding 4mm and fishing 6mm on the hook. Being a complete novice at fishing pellets shallow under a waggler I quickly learned that Roach like pellets too and that I should have gone for 8mm to avoid their attention but they didn't stop the carp and I was soon catching fish in the 2 - 3lb range with the odd 4 -5lb fish for good measure.

After an hour or two the waggler bites started to dry up so I decided to follow Steve by casting a feeder to the island. That got me a couple of 'wrap arounds' but Steve seemed to have them all in his swim and then out of the corner of my eye I noticed the odd Carp mooching about close in under the bush to my right. I fed a few grains of corn and kept an eye on things and soon it became clear there was more than one Carp and they were taking the corn so I quickly abandoned the feeder for a single grain of corn free-lined under the bush while watching the line floating on the surface as the corn sunk to indicate bites. I continued to feed a few grains of corn and it wasn't long before the line tightened up and from then on it was great fun seeing the water under the bush explode when a fish took the 'wrong' piece! Very Happy

The first couple of fish were in the 4lb to 6lb class but there was a better fish among them that ignored my best efforts until I saw it slowly making its way towards me close to the bank with its dorsal fin just breaking water. I waited my time then simply dangled the corn a few inches in front of its nose ... and it simply inhaled it! However that was the easy bit as it then led me a merry dance for a good 15 minutes before coming to the net. The scales said 9lb 1oz and I was happy with that but even more happy with how I caught it. Very Happy

I had a few more after that on the same tactic to around 4 or 5lb until we decided to call it a day at 5.30pm. So a real change from my usual fishing and great fun while the water is warm, although I wouldn't want to do it all the time. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, Fryfishing, blondie
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Allrounder indeed Very Happy
Take some prawns next time.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawns would certainly deter the Roach. Perhaps a trip to Asda will be in order next time. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have missed my annual trip to Cornwall so it was good to get back to my spiritual home last week with my family. To be honest the weather forecast up to a few days before we left was not looking too good but in the event the Weather Gods smiled on us and we had a reasonable week, particularly from Sunday to Wednesday. Cool

I was only planning to take the bare minimum of kit but then my wife announced that she wasn't looking forward to driving my Astra Estate around the narrow lanes while I was fishing so we took her Nissan Micra as well as the farm we were staying at had plenty of parking space. This of course freed up luggage space so I took my saltwater fly, lure and float fishing gear plus my waders! We were staying in the far West of Cornwall not far from Lands End where the coastline is pretty rugged but fortunately Warren (Cornish Stalker) had sent me details of perhaps half a dozen spots offering fairly safe access down to the sea as well as a beach worth fishing for Golden Grey Mullet. Very Happy

My first trip on Sunday was to a rock mark which offered good access to the sea where I could fish lures and flies from 2 hours up to high tide. I tried soft plastics on the lure rod and baitfish and sandeel patterns on a D7 on my #8/9 fly rod but although it looked very promising I never had a touch. Sad

My next session was to a different mark which was slightly more difficult to access but I had deep water under my feet. I was confident of picking up a Pollack or two although a Bass wouldn't have surprised me looking at the state of the sea as high tide approached.

I didn't bother with my lure or fly gear due to the journey and just fished float gear with frozen sandeel as bait. It didn't take long to get a response with the Pollack pulling the large float almost out of sight despite their small size but once high tide was reached, all activity stopped so I decided to give it best.

Perhaps the session I was looking forward to most was on Tuesday on the beach renowned for Golden Grey Mullet which are reputed to be the most obliging among the Mullet family but by no means easy. My chosen approach was my #5 rod with a floating line with a selection of Colin Mcleod Mullet flies which have a proven track record of taking these notoriously hard to catch fish. The weather was perfect, being very warm and sunny with a light offshore wind which could have been bad news due to hundreds of holiday makers filling the beach, but local knowledge is everything and Warren had put me on a secluded area populated mainly by local dog walkers. The first challenge in this game is to find the fish so I couldn't believe my luck when I found a pod of fish moving through a gulley in the sand as soon as I met the water with a few more further out swimming along the waves. This gully was empty but gives you the idea ...

For the next 30 minutes or so I tried various casts in front of, and through the patrolling fish with various retrieves until a slightly faster retrieve than usual resulted in a pull. Success .... well, sort of. I was convinced I had hooked my first 'GG' but soon a very small and very belligerent Bass was posing for a quick pic in my stripping tray before rejoining his mates. Never have I been so disappointed to catch a Bass on my fly gear. Laughing

I pulled out of another small fish before landing another similar sized schoolie on a dead drifted fly before the pool emptied as the tide receded and the fish disappeared into the wider the ocean. Sad

After than I had a break and waited for the tide to turn which I was sure would bring me success, but it wasn't to be. Although the day remained hot and sunny the offshore wind picked up which ruffled the surface of the water making it very difficult to spot fish even with Polaroids. I saw a few fish moving through the gulleys from time to time but the only success I had was this, which was definitely not a Bass or a GG ...

Fortunately I had my suspicions and flicked it off with my forceps without touching it which might have been just as well...Google later identified it as a Lesser Spotter Weaver, which can give an extremely nasty sting! Shock

My final session was on Friday on another rock mark which was probably the safest and easiest of them all to access so it was perhaps ironic that I took a tumble on the coastal path on the way and ended up falling on my left wrist. I carried on and fished the tide up (as you do) but the best part of the trip involved a small flock of noisy Choughs (the Cornish Crow) riding the air currents above me which helped make up for the blank and my painful wrist.

Fortunately that was the last trip I had planned for the week and luckily some ibuprofen gel sorted out my painful wrist so I was OK to drive home. Although the fishing wasn't great, it was good fun and a Cornish sunset after a hot day can be worth the journey down on its own ....

It was also nice to taste some Cornish draft beer again in a Cornish pub with my lad, although I think I'll have to review this rock hopping malarkey. I might be getting a bit old for that now. Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, blondie, Fryfishing, tenet, BristolFlyer
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know I was also in cornwall, my two trips to Drift proved to be another blank.
It is a very odd place, fish rising but I did not get close to a take Sad
P

cornish stalker
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Alan, and great photos, glad you caught a few fish, seafishing isn't easy any more even harder on fly so well done on few fish on fly, Shame the gg's didn't want to feed.

Fish are a bonus when you have the amazing choughs and sunsets like that

Glad you had a great trip shame I just couldn't get down there.
Hopefully next year.
cornish stalker
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
As you know I was also in cornwall, my two trips to Drift proved to be another blank.
It is a very odd place, fish rising but I did not get close to a take Sad
P

Hi fryfishing
Sorry to hear you struggled on drift, I'm hearing it is fishing slow, they had a good start to the season but switched of quickly this year.

None of the reserviors are fishing well here at the moment.

Did you try any swff or fish anywhere else
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I just stuck to Drift as I had limited time and gear with me, It did seem that being afloat would have made life easier there.
P

cornish stalker
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
No I just stuck to Drift as I had limited time and gear with me, It did seem that being afloat would have made life easier there.
P

Yes being on there boat might of been better heasing to aerators.
They have put some good fish in there this year
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: