The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had about 20 emails from BWF, all the same, advising works at Walley. Do you think it's a server problem 🤔
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 20, Doug? I deleted 22 and had another 22 when I checked later! Laughing
It's a problem with the Clubmate software they use apparently. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel cheated Al.☹️🤗🤩
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Shipwreck Reply with quote

Chroist Mr Limpet did they salvage that boat from Denny's Island Laughing
Limpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipwreck Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Chroist Mr Limpet did they salvage that boat from Denny's Island Laughing

It floated which was the main thing! The gunnels were rubber but just about managed to hold my drogue g-clamps on. Annoyingly one of the oars was split so it kept catching my line in it, but I was too lazy to move it. Apparently they had to retrieve boats from the shed down at Blagdon that were waiting for refurbishment, though they had put that programme on hold - I suspect as its a cost they don't need to have. With 60 boats out on both waters over the weekend they probably re-floated everything they had.
Liked by: JCP
Limpet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Allrounder"]Only 20, Doug? I deleted 22 and had another 22 when I checked later! Laughing
It's a problem with the Clubmate software they use apparently. Smile

I didn't get any extra, so sounds like it was not a problem everyone had, unless my ISP filtered them out as spam. Not sorry to have missed out on that though!
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Email Excesses Reply with quote

Pleased to report that I received no less than 26 repeat emails and am basking in that special feeling of belonging to such a prestigious group.

I have also been awarded THAT vintage boat on at least one occasion.

It's humbling to know one is held in such regard.

Best,
McFly
arkle
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like McFly, I also had 26...
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkle,

We might not trouble the scorers so often with our returns numbers...but we are a powerhouse with emails. Very Happy

McFly
Liked by: arkle
Bongoch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get afloat on Blagdon on Friday. Very Happy

Was pleasantly surprised to hear from the ranger whilst signing in that Monday apart, the fishing had been good with the Butcombe Shore and the entrance to the bay itself fishing well. With that info in hand we headed over to the spillway and took advantage of the SW breeze to drift along the Butcombe Shore. As we pulled up I spotted a Daddy on the surface which I took as a sign the flat daddy was going to do the business. Razz Within a few casts my line went tight as a Rainbow took a liking to my newly tied wine Cruncher on the top dropper (one of Rob Denson's patterns which I liked the look of: Wine Cruncher). The rest of the drift yielded nothing but we decided to go back and have another drift, this time a bit more out. At the end of the second drift just out from the weed banks at the entrance to Butcombe my boat partner hooked and landed a nice Rainbow around the 4lb mark. We then anchored up out from the lifebuoy but got nothing and saw very few fish on the surface. We then upped sticks and headed to Wood Bay initially anchoring but when that yielded nothing we did a few drifts. Between Rainbow Point and a bank of weed beds which are out in the middle of Wood bay (about half way between Rainbow Point and Rugmoor) we found a few fish. I had a couple come up and take my foam daddy off the top whilst my partner managed 3 on a various Crunchers and Diawl bachs. After a few drifts we anchored up and both had another couple on various nymphs before things went quiet. We pottered about various places (Top end, Holt bay, North shore) but things were pretty quiet so we headed back and anchored along the Butcombe Shore. I landed a couple more here to finish on 8 while my partner got 1 more to finish on 6.

All in all not a bad day though the rain at times was terrible! On the bank fishing front there were quite a few anglers on the North Shore all day. I saw one carrying a fish but that apart I couldn't tell you how they were getting on. Must've done ok as they didn't give up when the rain started!
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, Doombar, JCP, tenet, codfather, blondie, mc07fly
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the Lodge yesterday afternoon to pick up a few fly tying items and decided to take the rods as well as it seemed rude not to! Afterwards I had a look at the Stones on Nunnery to see if the Perch had arrived but I didn't stay long due to the amount of algae in the water which had a distinctive green/blue hue around the edges. Sad

I then had a look further down into Herons where I realised how much the water level had fallen since my last bank visit, leaving lots of weed and part of the old road exposed.

Due to the low water level I found I could wade out a fair way (although I didn't go too far as the mud was rather soft and sticky) where I found clear water but unfortunately no trout. However I noted something making a small disturbance in the flat calm further down and after moving and quietly wading out 20 yards and casting to them I was rewarded with a full string ... but not of stockies! Laughing

I was standing almost up to my thighs in dense weed with just 6" to a foot of water on top and I am sure the fish were in a similar depth, but they readily took my nymphs including the #10 Booby on a washing line which can be seen in the fishes mouth. No big ones unfortunately with the best perhaps 10 to 12oz. Smile

I managed to catch 8 before the shoal moved away so after that I decided to fish either Woodford or Walley next which had anglers on them when I drove past earlier but for reasons best known to myself I carried on around the lake to the North Shore which was empty. I must say the conditions looked perfect with a light offshore wind and an overcast sky and things looked promising when an angler in the only boat hooked and landed a fish as I arrived. However I soon realised they were successfully targeting fish on dries that were swimming along the edge of the ripple about 50 yards offshore. Unfortunately I saw very little action in the flat calm closer in, apart from an obligatory Jack that quickly relieved me of a Cruncher. Rolling Eyes

So my first blank this season on Chew as far as trout are concerned, although catching Rudd as pretty as those certainly helped to ease the pain. Very Happy

Until next time.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Bongoch, arkle, lakefisher, blondie, mc07fly
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#lumphunter #ruddhunter

Laughing
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

🤣🤣🤣
B.A.S.S.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon boat on Chew today. Lots of suspended algae but beyond the cages a little clearer. Gentle westerly took us toward east shore but notwithstanding ringing the changes not a pull. Moved down toward the basin drifting in to north shore with Pino getting firstly a 6lb jack then a smash take. Yours truly didn't get a pull but we persevered for too long. Moved nearer the dam and by now things were looking desperate but all if a sudden the fish started obliging. We spent the last 2 hours or so drifting with straight line nymphs and crunchers picking up fish on each drift across the basin and what fish they were. All fully tailed and all 3-4lb plus with full tails. Certainly gave my 5# Scott Flex a good work out.
We ended up with 4 apiece losing a few and getting smashed a couple of times.
Had we had more cloud and less suspended algae then it could have been more consistent but not complaining.
Cheers.

Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, Bongoch, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly ready for the smoker. Mmmm
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: