The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned Farmoor yesterday, as predicted No1 is closed and No2 is producing the odd fish but hard going.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter - probably early mid September before things improve.
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Thanks Peter - probably early mid September before things improve.

Not if the promised week-long heatwave hits later this month. Then It's going to be October or even November before Farmoor will be fishable again. Save it up for back drifting in December and January.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, at least we have not got the fires that other countries are suffering from.
My plan is to do some over nights and stay at a (warm) B&B during Nov/Dec.
P

Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon boat on F2 today on the back of a couple of reports on FB together with the promise of cloud and light winds. We'll they got that wrong - we had a stiff westerly and bright sunshine with summer cloud. Nightmare.
Started a drift from the east shore but the wind was fluting around so we tied up to a bouy with floaters and a team of nymphs. Spent about an hour or so without a touch but finally had fish boiling to the bob fly. Swift change to a team of hoppers and notwithstanding the stiff breeze went back on the drift. We hardly saw a fish and the water was devoid of fly life but we were getting boils and rises on each drift into the causeway. We ended up boating 12 good fish with the best circa 4lb. Water quality quite good at about 6 ft or so with a little staining. Most of the fish came after mid afternoon when we had cloud cover. Although hardly a fin was seen they must have been holding a foot or so below the surface. We were the only boat out but quite a few banksmen so if you have the time get out there.
Liked by: Fryfishing, lakefisher, JCP, Allrounder, blondie
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the trip too Farmoor today, my first for a couple of months. I was not expecting too much but was surprised and pleased to discover that No1 is open, and that fish are/were being caught.
Due to the wind direction, I fished the east bank of No1 and had the whole place to myself which always worries me but I should not have been as my walk to a suitable spot meant I could see the odd fish moving. Water temp on my thermometer read 21, but Mark later told me it was 18 further out.

I started with fluorocarbon and nymphs, but it did not take long to realise that I was fishing under moving fish. A quick swap to nylon and a red shipman on the point, which got me my first fish. That did not crack it, I kept changing point flies to try and find what they wanted but could not find the right combination.
I landed three fish, which all took different flies but they were all in the top layers despite the bright condition.
Mark (the Warden) said both lakes were fishing well with some larger fish being caught. It was good to get back there and things should be more predictable as the water temps reduce.

Liked by: JCP
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report - As per my report above the fish on 2 were high in the water and wanted anything fished in the surface pulled back and making a wake. In two minds about tomorrow, Chew, Farmoor or cut the grass. Weather forecasts are so hit and miss at the moment.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish were mostly in the ripple today and I could not get their attention pulling the fly back and creating a wake. One fish grab my dropper and headed for the horizon while I was not concentrating let alone retrieving. Slightly embarrassing.

The only issue you may have at Farmoor tomorrow is the amount of activity from the sailing club and school holiday water activity.
P

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Walthamstow today for a few hours, fishing it on my Farmoor Thames Water ticket.
There have been some changes their since my last visit which was quite a few years back. The wetlands seems take priority now and fishers can no longer drive to the trout waters, so a good chance to improve your step count for the day.
I had some very friendly advice from a local.. But it seems the fishing was rock hard on this day as no one landed a fish despite fish showing in the surface. I had two good solid pulls but they did not contect.

Fishing Walthamstow requires a combination of having the car and fishing gear with me, I rarely bring the car over to Finsbury Park due to parking restrictions so it will not be a regular fishing destination for me.

Off to Cornwall tomorrow.
P

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was sunny with a mix of some cloud cover, I arrived at around 10.30 and decided to fish No1. The water had some colour to it with suspended material.
Fish were moving in the surface and the only angler on No1 caught a fish as I arrived on a dry daddy. I started on nymphs and after a while contacted fish, the first two I hooked straighten the hook (B170) so I swapped to a heavier wire hook and this landed my first fish of the day a brown.
The brown trout that were stocked earlier in the year have grown on into full finned hard fights. They also have a lot of sharp teeth so do not put your thumb in their mouth, a mistake I have made.

The fishing switched off at around 12.30 so I had a break for something to eat and drink and swapped to the Thames with the lure rod. This was unproductive but it was interesting watching the coarse fish make the most of the Daddies landing on the water.

Around 3.30 I went back to No1 and tried a dry daddy on the point, but this proved fishless. So the nymphs went back on. The fish seemed to be taking my flies just sub surface and it was always the point fly (redhead D.B) and not touching whatever went on the dropper.
I packed up at around seven after catching six fish mostly browns with a big rainbow in the mix. Despite taking care unhooking and NOT handling fish I still had one that swam away but later came to the top obviously dying.

It was a good decision to fish No1 in the afternoon on No2 the Fire Service had four boats and were tearing around the water. At around four, two parachutists came down and landed in the water which were then collected in the boats. This was followed by two more.
They apparently were going to be doing the same thing in the dark.

Last edited by Fryfishing on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: tenet
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Peter - those Brownies must be of a stonking size as the one I caught in May went well over 3lb.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video of some of the action.
The last fish was the one that did not make it, it came up out of range so I cound not get it back. It would have been a good eater.

A quick after thought, I noticed that after catching a few browns my nylon leader near the point fly was showing signs of fraying from the teeth of the fish. So worth checking if you land a few.

Link

Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, JCP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at 2020 reports, the browns were stocked on October 2020.

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I caught in May this year. Shortly after catching there was a heavy shower and I slipped on the wet concrete necessitating a trip to A&E the following day.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first letter in this months FFFT refers to Farmoor and the catchng of numbers rather than methods.
I can not help but agree with the writer, a Mr Ian Mc Kenzie.
P

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: