The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bongoch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afloat on Blagdon yesterday (Thursday) and found similar results to McFly.

Started off at Cheddar down toward the corner of the dam and bank. With my boat partner starting off with a washing line on a floater I decided to try the same setup on a midge tip with DBs on the droppers and a flat daddy on the point. After 30 mins without so much as a touch between us, I decided to switch over to my floater rod but as there were a few fish rising I decided to try some dries so dispensed with my washing line flies and put on 3 foam Shipman's (fiery brown on the point and claret and black on the droppers). This worked a charm and brought 3 to the net and another which came off. Very Happy My boat partner tried dries as well though he couldn't make any of the rises he got stick sadly. After things went quiet we went over toward the spillway but nothing was forthcoming so headed up to Wood bay which also proved a bust. We then went to the top end anchoring just out from the weed and casting toward it. My boat partner very quickly picked up a couple of fish on red ribbed DBs so I followed suit and changed over from dries to a washing line with DBs on the droppers and a flat daddy on the point. This yielded another 3 with a few more dropping off. At around 3 we decided to head over to Peg's though this yielded nothing so opted to head back to Cheddar. Despite a few fish rising here I opted for a washing line on my midge tip with DBs on the droppers and a flat daddy on the point. Between 4 and 5.30 I netted another 6 with all but one falling to the flat daddy whilst my partner had another 2 and lost several more (not his day sadly). All in all a productive and enjoyable day! Very Happy
Liked by: tenet, codfather, mc07fly, Allrounder, blondie
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all Your replies. I am looking forward to My day out and will let You know how I got on.
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Blagdon at 8am and thought I would try off the Lawn first. Nothing on the WL so I put on a Candy Blob on the point to control the depth
better and had one on, which got off a few seconds later. There wasn't much rising so I tried a Damsel on a di3 out in the middle more. The odd
fish was swimming against the wind very high in the water, tail and back out of the water and staying there. I cast out My Damsel and hooked him
on the second pull. After a hard fight, boring very deep I landed him. A good conditioned fish well over the 4lb mark. I tried for another hour but no
more takes so I drifted from the Lodge area up to the Dam. I uses the WL with Crunchers. I was catching steady with the fish mainly taking the Booby.
I had them casting tight to the weeds, tight to the Dam and in open water. I called it a day at 8pm with a dozen fish, mostly stockie size with a 3 and a
4 pounder. A very enjoyable day and I didn't need the Drogue or Anchor.
Liked by: tenet, arkle, mc07fly, Bongoch, Allrounder, blondie
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Blagdon week 12th July Reply with quote

A couple of morning boat sessions this week.
Tuesday was humid with heavy cloud and a light N breeze. Water now almost 20C.
I turned left from Home Bay and searched for fish off Pipe Bay. Success came when I was well out over about 14ft.
Fish were still high in the water and taking small flashback PTNs off a floater with slow inty tip.
A respectable full day limit plus returned by noon and several were just over three pounds.
So back on Thursday to repeat the trick...not. Now already a much warmer and brighter morning.
Both sides of the dam wall were popular again so explored at Pipe Bay. Now the fish were lying further out over deeper water at 16ft.
Water temp now 20C and bright sun plus some white clouds to break things up a bit. Lighter breeze mainly NW.
Same floater rig but fish not in the mood for small nymphs and not surprising as there were waves of damsel flies hatching at intervals
but no surface activity from the fish in the bright conditions.
So after some messing about I found a twinkly (Ice Yarn) damsel that they liked at about a foot down under cloud
to perhaps 4-6ft down when the sun was brightest. Again super quality fish with three returned about 3 lbs. But now a regular half day limit
and I had fished through to almost 2pm.
Only half the boats out which was disappointing as the fish were still playing their part.
Some seriously hot weather forecast but I shall get out there again...but might need a parasol this time.
Best,
McFly

Last edited by mc07fly on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie, JCP, codfather
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report mc07fly! Cool

This time last year I was fishing early morning sessions on Chew but the prolific weedgrowth has ruled out most of my favourite bank spots this time. I think the weedcutting boat has been busy on Blagdon so may have a look there next week, weather permitting. Wink

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: JCP
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Blagdon bank prospects Reply with quote

Hi Allrounder,

I couldn't see any bank anglers on Tuesday morning and only one bank angler early Thurs at Green Lawn.

However as I left on both days there were cars parking up early afternoon and no doubt pitches being staked out!
It seems to be an evening game from the banks. Perhaps no need for that 3am alarm! But then my records show that I rarely
failed if I made that early start.

Barney really worked hard cutting some serious weed at both Green Lawn and Rainbow Point last Friday week
Not sure if he had time for Cheddar but that has got to be a prime pitch next to the dam in the current conditions.

Home Bay has also held some very good fish this year and has produced from the boats in the last few weeks as well.

Tight Lines!
McFly
Liked by: arkle, blondie, codfather
Bongoch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been out recently? Due to the extreme heat and being away for the other halves birthday I haven't been out myself.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the hot spell and since I have been coarse fishing but hope to get back on the trout once the water temperatures improve. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few fly tying sessions for me, Bongoch, interspersed with a bit of decorating!
I expect there are a few fish prepared to chase a corixa or inhale a daphnia emerger on a slow sinker anchored off the dam wall
but I reckon they deserve a few weeks holiday as well so I have not been out since my last reports.
If the temps fall and this gusty wind settles then I might have a sniff around next week just to scratch the itch.
Good luck.
McFly
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take a chance with a boat on Chew today, mainly because I wanted some trout for my freezer. I set off across the lake shortly after 8.45 with some nice cloud cover and little or no wind with very good water clarity so I was fairly confident I would catch a few fish. Very Happy

I had a #5 weight rod set up on dries and started by the aerators hoping for a quick win but I never saw a fish. I then made my way across the lake where I found the odd fish rising in the middle but they were all 'oncers' that managed to keep a safe distance between themselves and the boat, no matter how quietly I crept up on them. I then spent some time searching the weed beds at the top of the lake before doing the same off Moreton Point but I never had even one realistic shot at a rising fish and nothing came blind to my dries. Crying or Very sad

As noon approached the cloud cover burned off and the early afternoon got very sunny and warm so I swapped my #5 weigh for my #6 weight armed with an intermediate and a Damsel Booby on the point, a Cruncher on the middle and a Red ribbed DB on the top dropper. That made no difference until more cloud cover arrived later in the afternoon and I got my first pull of the day at 4pm in Villice Bay! It was a long time coming but the fish more than made up for it at 5lb on the button. It was 25 inches long and was very lean which suggests it might have been stocked a while ago. Sadly (or perhaps thankfully as I wanted it for the pot!) it didn't give a very good account of itself and was soon in the net. It took the red ribbed Daiwl Bach. ...

I was hoping that was the start of a better spell but I had no more in Villice and nothing in Herons until I reeled in my line by the Stones in order to move and everything locked up. This was a decent fish that looked 3lb + and it gave a good account of itself before it shed the hook on a final run just as it seemed ready for the net. I got it close enough to see it had taken the Cruncher.

If I had netted that one I would have called it a day but instead I soldiered on for another 2 hours with nothing to show before giving it best at 7pm. So a tough day which seemed to be echoed by others I spoke to on the water. One guy had 3 fish when I spoke to him earlier in the day but two boats who packed up at the same time as me both blanked.

I also used my time afloat to check the weed at some of the of the most popular bank spots and only the Stones and Walley looked reasonably clear to me. Wink

Until next time ... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, arkle, Doombar, Fryfishing, Bongoch, blondie, mc07fly, JCP
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the water temperature like Alan ?
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have my sounder so I can't say for sure Tony, but I would say no more than 20 degrees and probably a degree or two less. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A serious fish you had there Alan - lean and mean. Did you find much food in its gut when you cleaned it ?

Is there much algae present in the water ?

Thanks for reporting.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
A serious fish you had there Alan - lean and mean. Did you find much food in its gut when you cleaned it ?

Is there much algae present in the water ?

Thanks for reporting.

It was fairly empty apart from the odd snail, Doug. Water quality was very good for August with no algae worth mentioning. My first thought was that if you had caught it on the Stinchar you would have called it a Kelt but I am happy to report that the flesh was firm with a good colour. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet
Limpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bank fishing suspended apart from season ticket holders!!
You would have thought the Barrows would be OK and the Blagdon weed cutter boat could help in that water at least!

From BWF Facebook page
It's been noticeable this season just how bad the weed has been at the lakes. Here at Chew Valley the weed has popped up at an alarming rate with many areas on the bank becoming unfishable.
Our weed cutting boat at Blagdon is used when our trained staff have the time available to do so. Unfortunately it isn't practical for us to move the boat from one water to another on a regular basis. Weed cutting realistically needs to be done on a weekly basis to have any significant effect on available bank space. The weed cutting boat is stationed at Blagdon and used when possible but fundamentally the challenges that the summer period brings on sites like our fish farm at Blagdon do mean that the welfare of our livestock often take priority over other lakeside tasks.
Until further notice the fishery has decided to suspend day bank permit sales at our waters. This will free up the few bank spots available for pre paid season ticket holders.
As well as suspending bank day permit sales, pre paid season permit holders will be entitled to 4 individual boat permits, to be redeemed by the 27th August 2021. To book, we ask that season permit holders contact our team via phone or email. Non season ticket boat partners will be required to pay the day rate.
We will review the weed situation towards the end of August as appropriate.
BW Lakeside team
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: