The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard days make the better ones taste sweeter, but I find nothing puts a dampener on the day than when you realise you have been given a boat with a temperamental engine. I had one a few weeks ago on Chew and it was a battle of wills every time I tried to start the engine for a redrift. Mad

You have my sympathy, Doug. Sad

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: tenet
blueflyingtonight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished F1 on Tuesday evening. It was hard going. Started on the North bank and moved round to the causeway towards the end of the evening. At times the water seemed dead and the rises were few and far between. A couple on emergers but slim pickings compared to recent visits. I thought the football would be rubbish and the fishing would be great - it turned out the other way round!

Steve
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was there the water temperature at the edge was 21 so I guess the water is getting close to 20 further out. There was also a roaring from the inlet on No1 and water started rushing in so it maybe reaching the maximum temperature and the fish are shutting down.
I went along the canal the same night as the football, it was perfect peace and quiet with no boats moving and I even managed to catch a fish and saw a deer and its fawn..

I seem to remember we had a boat pack up on Blagdon Alan.
P

https://youtube.com/channel/UCi3uvEhBwv-hz0eGtrNtQgw
JCP
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Engines and conditions. Reply with quote

Temperamental engines are a real downer and beware the misfire kick back.I make a point of letting admin know if an engine needs a lookover.Fortunately does not happen often. Smile Seems no ryhme nor reason sometimes when conditions look right for your favourite method but nature decides otherwise.Low pressure this weekend might shake it up a little.
Liked by: blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports on FB claim things are tough with fish hard on the bottom - back drifting rules OK.
Old Thumper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished F2 yesterday afternoon and into the evening. The wind was stiffish in the afternoon with the occasional squall, but was calmer by 18.00 hrs. Both of us in the boat had a team of three nymphs initially - a very occasional pull, but no hook-ups. Boat partner changed to an FAB on the point - voila success. I also changed to a FAB - success!.
Boat partner was "twiddling" back; I was "pulling" 3 long/3 short/resting and then resuming. Boat partner caught more. Both of us had a reasonable amount of success - probably 15 (you lose count when catching) all in the space of less than 3 hours. All the fish were caught on the point fly - fl. orange and white FAB
Water clarity was very good.
A very enjoyable afternoon/evening session.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, tenet, Fryfishing, blondie
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and welcome to the forum! Very Happy
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report and a warm welcome to the forum. Hopefully the cooler weather has helped to bring down the water temperatures so may make a trip later in the week. It was certainly tough going last week.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Old Thumper.
👍

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon boat today friday - conditions good with a soft sw breeze and good cloud cover. We set up full of anticipation but a couple of guys coming in for lunch confirmed things were tough and they had not had a touch all morning. Not what we wanted to hear.
Started our drift from the west bank drifting diagonally into the causeway with a team of nymphs. Pino was first in with a good fish then lost a second. Continued to zigzag along the causeway picking up a couple of fish. Decided to hook up to a bouy in order to fish the nymphs more slowly. Had a gold head damsel on the point with muskins on the droppers. We spent the afternoon intermittently drifting or hooking up and ended with 7 fish to the boat (5 for me and 2 for Pino ) with a few dropped and a good few smash takes that didn't stick.
We only saw a couple of fish show and not a single fly hatch all afternoon. Even the damsels were thin on the ground. Most boats finished early which tells a story and the banks were devoid of fishermen. Not sure what's going on but given the conditions we should have had a good day rather than just grinding it out.
Liked by: JCP, Fryfishing
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about the lack of fly life and empty fish bellies. The water quality at Farmoor has been beyond excellent and I wonder if TW have been overdoing the treatment of water with flocculants to take out suspended matter. These chemicals would have an adverse effect on fauna which might explain the absence of any buzzers etc.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a point.
I guess the quagga mussels will also be affecting water quality and fly life.
There have been some big buzzer hatches, but I have not seen the clouds of flies for a few years.
Which brings it back to the few trout I have spooned being full of snails and not much else, maybe snails are the most available/easy to forage food item for the fish.
P

Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some interesting reading from the Angling Trust site re Quagga Mussels.
This is a short extract but the link gives the whole article.

The quagga mussel is a small bivalve mollusc similar to the invasive non-native
zebra mussel.
Adults have a triangular shell and up to 50 mm in length. In new populations, most
individuals are young and therefore very small (less than 8mm).
They survive in both muddy and hard substrates, and tolerates a range of water
conditions, from shallow and warm to deep and cold. They attached to anything solid
underwater, e.g. stones, shells, wooden posts, hulls, concrete.
Due to its filtering capacity and ability to produce dense populations, it can alter
whole freshwater ecosystems. It can outcompete and significantly reduce native
biodiversity. It feeds on the varieties of algae that compete with blue-green algae,
often resulting in toxic algal blooms. It is also a nuisance and economic problem
when growing in pipes of water treatment plants or commercial ships.

http://invasivespeciesireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/NIEA-ID-Guide-ISI-website-Dreissena-bugensis-Quagga-mussel.pdf

tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Peter - the Great Lakes of N America have major problems with Zebra and Quagga mussels.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-current-statu/

Can't imagine wetting a line in the near future. Would guess that the fish in both 1 and 2 are struggling with these high temps.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Would guess that the fish in both 1 and 2 are struggling with these high temps.

I have not phoned the wardens but I would guess No1 is closed. If I was to go up there I would take the lure rod for the Thames as a back up.
P

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: