The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

How long does rudd survive out of water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> General Sea
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowherecrafter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: How long does rudd survive out of water? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask questions like that. In case that's not, the right forum indication would be appreciated.

I know that different species can stay out of water for different amount of time. Some are cool enough to survive for a week.
What about common rudd? Is it minutes? Hours? Anyone dealt with them?
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how long can YOU survive under water? Two or three minutes for rudd and most coarse fish. Carp can tolerate a bit longer. Fish such as chub and dace less.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, welcome to the Forum, nowherecrafter. Very Happy

wylye wrote:
So, how long can YOU survive under water?

You have asked a good question and Wylye has made a good point in reply. I recall reading elsewhere that the instruction given by a blue water charter boat Skipper to his deck hands was that a fish should not be kept out of water for longer than they could hold their own breath.

In my view irrespective of the species and their resilience we should not keep fish out of water for more than the absolute minimum time necessary, especially in this weather! Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: tenet
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Sea Fishing Discussion -> General Sea All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: