The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueflyingtonight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I will probably give it a couple of weeks before venturing out.

Steve
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reflective mood having buried a long time good friend this morning. Not a fisherman but did take him to Farmoor a couple of times and reported on his lack of success.

Best laid plans and all that - met office,bbc,my weather all predicted light new winds and cloud, what did we get but wall to wall sunshine but they did get the light winds right. Horrible conditions aligned with my tyro pal suffering a massive hangover and his tip ring missing from his rod. What to do but lend him my treasured St Croix Legend Elite with strict instructions to be careful. Anyway water quality good with high levels and a gentle NE breeze.Started on dries but no interest so switched to an Inty with some freshly tied pin fry's tied on size 12's. Just the occassional fish showing and a cast across their bows resulted in everything locking up with a quality 31/2lb in the net. Repeated this 3 more times over the afternoon with some serious quality fully finned fish between 3 and4 lb. Cloud finally arrived about 5.30pm and one or two fish started to show so back on the dries and had a classic head and tail rise to a ginger shipman and that was it. We had to be away by 7pm so probably missed the best of the top of the water sport.

All in all a good afternoon afloat with a good pal with some action and some superb fish of similar mark to that in the previous post. Well pleased with the Stroft mono which gives a good bs to dia ratio at a sensible price.

Cheers

Doug

PS poor Brendan got smashed and that was it for him - good for the soul for beginners 

Have a boat booked for this Friday and hope to take a few in memory of Brendan, taken far too soon.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that report, or something very similar. Some of our fondest memories are of fishing with good friends. Sad

Hope you have a really good day on Friday in memory of Brendan. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: tenet
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan into the fish that smashed him. RIP old buddy.

Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder, JCP, blondie, lakefisher
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a short day today. Bright sun & no wind when I arrived and the water made gin look murky. I eventually decided to rig up a 12' leader with a 12 tungsten buzzer on the point & a 12 black buzzer on a dropper about 5' up. A yarn indicator was attached to the end of the fly line. My normal leader is 18'+ and my reason for going shorter was that in the calm water with little movement I didn't want the point buzzer to catch in the bottom algal weed which could be seen clearly.

The method was to cast out beyond where the water went dark & to fish it very slowly. Just a matter of pinging it out to the right area & letting the fish find it. The result was 10 fish in less than 3 hours, 9 of them on the point fly. I had a total of 12 takes and two of those were of the "nail it while he ain't looking" type. One resulted in a broken hook due to my seeing the indicator under water & reacting a bit too wildly. Even so, a Tiemco 2499 Barbless should have been OK. The other one I managed to hit as I saw the indicator go out of the corner of my eye after being distracted by the bloke on my right missing a fish. I had one other take that was a clean miss. Still, 10 out of 12 ain't too bad.

Also of interest was the fact that out of those 12 takes I felt only two in the hand. One of the guys on my right came over after I had caught 5 complaining that he had had several takes but hadn't hooked them. He was moving his buzzers through the water and I suspect he was feeling them letting go!
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, Fryfishing, lakefisher, JCP
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:

Also of interest was the fact that out of those 12 takes I felt only two in the hand. One of the guys on my right came over after I had caught 5 complaining that he had had several takes but hadn't hooked them. He was moving his buzzers through the water and I suspect he was feeling them letting go!

Many - many moons ago, when I had my own lake - a visiting angler showed me how he got results by fishing a "pimp" as the then in vogue indicator was known. When I tried the method for myself, casting slightly across the wind and letting line and pimp swing gently downwind, the pimp would be pulled under or moved not relative to the wind direction - with very rarely anything like a pull on my line being actually felt in my hand - but a gentle strike when watching the pimps "reaction" would almost always result in a hooked rainbow.
This was done from the bank, not from a boat.

Try your own method "at an angle to the wind (not directly downwind) " and see if it produces better results.

HTH ......... Tony Cool
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pimp is still used at Farmoor by some but the issue with it is they come off rather easy and you find them washed up on the downwind shore.
You will see a subtle and not so subtle range of indicators in use at Farmoor including ones the size of a ping pong ball.
Wylye and I are far more sophisticated in our choice than the above.
Very Happy
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 08:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished today and have managed to get some of it on the GoPro, so watch out for some YouTube content.
It was a day of two half the morning started well with three to the buzzers fishing the East bank in front of the main car park. But when the kids came out to play on the sailing boats and kayaks and they came in close to the bank it killed the fishing for me.
So I shifted to the West end of the causeway to fight the east wind (which was very cold). There were plenty of fish in front of me judging by the taps and pulls I had on my first few casts. I added another five foot to my leader and that did the trick. It was a fish a chuck for a while which included some bigger rainbows around the four pound mark.
I fished a black Pennell on the top, grey buzzer in the middle and a bead head thing on the point in 12s & 14s.
P
Liked by: tenet, JCP
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Today - 07:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakefisher wrote:
wylye wrote:

Many - many moons ago, when I had my own lake - a visiting angler showed me how he got results by fishing a "pimp" as the then in vogue indicator was known. When I tried the method for myself, casting slightly across the wind and letting line and pimp swing gently downwind, the pimp would be pulled under or moved not relative to the wind direction - with very rarely anything like a pull on my line being actually felt in my hand - but a gentle strike when watching the pimps "reaction" would almost always result in a hooked rainbow.
This was done from the bank, not from a boat.

Try your own method "at an angle to the wind (not directly downwind) " and see if it produces better results.

HTH ......... Tony Cool

Later on in the year when the two algal weedbeds at Farmoor that are 7-10 yards out are more developed the fish patrol along and between them. Then a cast angled at 30-45 degrees is far more effective than one straight out because it means that the flies are coming across the weed beds at a narrow angle and therefore there is more time for them to be seen - and taken - by patrolling fish. Lifting off to recast with more than a couple off yards of line outside the tip ring means missing catching opportunities.
Liked by: lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: