The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Changing a floating line to a natural density.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Changing a floating line to a natural density. Reply with quote

I have a trusty old cortland floating line that is reaching replacement, so thoughts turned to making it into a neutral density so it will retrieve just subsurface.
But how do you achieve this? Rub it with a sink compound, soak it in soapy water or is there another trick.
I have a memory of Arthur Cove writing about this and Brian Leadbetter also did something similar. If it is not possible the line will go in recycling which seems a waste.
Any suggestions?
P
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with old floating lines is that they don't sink evenly. Usually it is the running line that sinks due to cracking and taking in water, while the head section still floats OK. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Arthur used to rub his line with mud from the banks of Grafham. However, this seems at odds with the very slow retrieve visual take that he wrote about. This make me wonder that perhaps what Arthur wrote about was maybe not quite when he was doing on the reservoir bank.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished alongside Arthur on the bank at Grafham way back in the 70's but for the life of me cant remember whether or not he used a "hover" line or not. I do remember that he, along with other regulars, often used to grease up their leaders to keep the flies up in the surface layers. Boobies and washing line had yet to be invented. Surprised
ps - I would add that any meetings were purely coincidental.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.
My trusty cortland is not cracked just old, if I do not treat the front section with floatant it turns into a mini sink tip.
I have started to skim read My way with trout and have found one small peice where he uses mud from the Grafham banks to treat his old floating line.
P
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Old Cortland line. Reply with quote

Try attaching a green mono furled leader fished with a tippet ring.If no loop use a Castwell knot.Try it first but once wet it should sink just right if not treat it.Sten Dawson ak Mr Trout makes good 5ft mono furled leaders.Fluorocarbon leader completes the jigsaw.

Best JP
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey J.P that has raised more questions tha answers.
I have never used Furled leaders, I was thinking of making the line sink to just under subsurface, if that's not achievable then I will keep it as a floater.

Rereading My way with Trout the only mention of the line treatment was using mud. He also seems to suggest that when tying a water knot dropper you use the top end of the knot not the length down the leader to the point.?

P
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - you should try Furlies - I now use them for the majority of my fishing with perhaps the exception of using di5 plus lines, they certainly aid presentation.

This outfit are very good : https://loopyleaders.co.uk/ along with Mr Trout who regrettably doesnt have a website (?) but can be contacted on the FFF forum.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Floater to ND and water knot. Reply with quote

Well I tried Peter.You can take a horse to water and all that Laughing Would not entertain topside dropper with a water knot in fluorocarbon using the diameters we do for trout.I expect Arthur was using nylon back then.
There are other ways to make droppers stand off.

Best JP
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Somewhere in my kit I have a super slow intermediate that I never use and think I may have used it no more than two or three times. I'll check it out and if its still OK you're welcome to it.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a look at furled leaders.

Yes the book was first published in 86 so he was using 6lb nylon. It has also ignited the "Little Grey Cells" to think about spider patterns for buzzer fishing.
Question
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Arthur's Jumper Reply with quote

Well Peter good luck with that I expect Arthur's old jumper wool is well past its sell by date like The Chadwicks killer bug thread Laughing .Spiders are cracking sometimes when buzzers are hatching.Taken for cripples and deceased insects.Damp emerger patterns too are good.Problem is we just don't seem to have the same surface feeding cycles with today's triploid fish.

mrtrout292@btinternet.com for mono furled leaders.There are others as suggested.I like these because they are Maxima Ultra Green Colour and they fish well.Suttle midge tip type presentation so good from the boat or around on the wind.Not saying it is the holy grail just suits the methods I like to fish.Bit like Arthur.Cast it out and do nothing Cool Well as little as possible.Stay safe.

Best regards JP
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Floater to inter Reply with quote

Just a thought Peter.Polyleader might be the answer as come in longer lengths and specific sink rates.

Best regards JP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only used a poly leader when fishing with a guide, it was odd how it hinged during casting.
There is a slow sink tip in my limited range of fly lines which needs a few more outings so I can get my head around that.
Thanks to Wylye and his kind offer of a neutral density line.

My plan is to replace the cortland line with a new one as it has had 6 years of hard use.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: