The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.slvblank.no

General Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to Matt Hayes Zander fishing on the Severn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cmvkn-HADE
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt H looks very fresh faced back then in 2012.
I guess he is still living in Norway.

I have been fiddling about with soft plastic cray fish on the canal and ned rigs but I have not located the perch yet. They are in there somewhere Very Happy

P
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another trip on Sunday to try for a zander, this time further up near Gloucester. It turned into a bit of a comedy of errors though. Firstly there was a massive downpour just as I was walking from my car so I was a bit damp and cold the whole session. Then when I reached my first mark I realised that I had left my clippers and pliers in the car so had nothing on me to trim my leader or wire trace. I made do, but wasn’t 100% confident with my setup which is never a good thing.

I spent a couple of hours walking between likely marks and bumping a weedless creature bait along the bottom, but didn’t have a sniff from anything with fins, although very nearly caught a seagull. I then tried a spinner and promptly lost it on a snag, tied on another spinner and promptly lost that when the 20lb braid that is less than a year old parted while casting.

Feeling more than a bit frustrated I walked back to the car and re-kitted completely before a final 45 mins before dark at the road bridge. The chap fishing for bream with a pole said that it was one of the best spots on the canal and you can catch a perch a cast in the summer evenings. He even had an 8 pound zander on a lob worm a couple of months back. Maybe I should be tipping my lures with a worm or piece of prawn!
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know those sort of days only too well.

Today I spent a few hours fishing the dropshot on two different sections of canal that have been VERY hard over the last couple of weeks. The plan was to see if anything would bite and the answer was no until I put a real worm on the hook. I then caught some small perch but nothing else.
I always find if I fish with a real worm it seems to get the perch feeding and they will then take a plastic dropshot lure.
My gut feeling is the perch are also in lockdown
P
Liked by: BristolFlyer, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan 2021.
I can not go to Farmoor and in the current weather I am not sure I want to go.
But I thought I would have one last go before the lock down and the chance that there may not be any fishing.
Here is a quick video, look out for the home tied crayfish jig.
Very Happy

Link

Liked by: Allrounder, BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vid! I like your crayfish jig. I'm sure giving them something a bit different on a hard fished stretch of water is a good tactic.

How deep is the canal on that stretch?

I'm a bit gutted about lockdown. I just found out about a free stretch of canal/river near my house that you can only access by paddling down river and that next to no-ne fishes. It will still be there when we come out of lockdown Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Grand Union around my way never seems to be deeper than five foot but can be a lot deeper by lock gates. When in the kayak with the fish finder the average in the middle is four to five feet. The edges can be as shallow as six inches to four foot. When I tipped the kayak over I of course chose one of the deeper sections Embarassed
I will be tying some more of those cray jigs, cheap, cheerful and works.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first attempt to do flytying on video.
It features my new crayfish jig, which seems a bit less obtrusive than a sof plastic.

Link

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I went exploring a section of the GUC between Watford and the M25. Yes very picturesque. Very Happy
It is a section that has a good flow of water as the river Gade goes in and out and there is a pumping station outflow.
I took the ultra-light outfit as it was going to be a “long walk with fishing rod”. I thought it would be hard work catching fish and it was. But as the water was very clear it gave me a chance to study the lure action in the margin.
I did snag something, at first it seemed like a long length of line which was attached to a bush on the far bank. I gave it a long slow pull and it came free and I won a brand new Rapala lure for my trouble.
P
[/img]
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet whoever lost that big lure was seriously p*ssed off. Probably went home and kicked the cat!
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that braided main line? It looks very thick? Shock
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and there is the question???? the line stretched the width of the canal, the lure was not stuck tight so why the break off???
Incompetence maybe
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: