The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report! I enjoyed reading that, Tom. Very Happy

Sounds like a tough session but I'm wondering if you left just as things started to get interesting? I know lots of anglers continue to fish the reservoirs from first light at this time of year and many of them catch plenty of fish, but I tend to find that I don't miss much by spending an extra hour or two in bed and arriving from late morning onwards especially if it is cold. Looking back, most of my fish over the last couple of weeks have been caught between noon and about 4pm. Smile

I've also heard that No.1 has been fishing well of late with some larger grown on fish coming out to fast sinker and booby tactics, although that was a week or two ago now. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

Sounds like a tough session but I'm wondering if you left just as things started to get interesting? I know lots of anglers continue to fish the reservoirs from first light at this time of year and many of them catch plenty of fish, but I tend to find that I don't miss much by spending an extra hour or two in bed and arriving from late morning onwards especially if it is cold. Looking back, most of my fish over the last couple of weeks have been caught between noon and about 4pm. Smile

I've also heard that No.1 has been fishing well of late with some larger grown on fish coming out to fast sinker and booby tactics, although that was a week or two ago now. Smile

Interesting. I'm partial to Dawn and dusk, but I've never thought of the afternoon as a purple patch. Bovver was still there when I left, so he might be along soon to tell us if I packed up just as the party was starting Very Happy . Agree that middayish is probably the least favourable time of day for fishing, it's just when I happened to be free yesterday.

My initial plan was to head over to tank 1 to find shelter, but the wind was somehow managing swirl into all the its corners at exactly the wrong angle, so I passed it up.

Oh and I forgot to say, "Bernie" was there chatting to the mousers for a bit and mentioned that there was a crowd of twitchers on 1 earlier this week as a Great Northern Diver had been spotted! Would love to have seen that.

Cheers

Tom
Liked by: blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie had 11 on No.1 according to a report he posted on FB this evening! Shock
A Booby Basher fast sinker and a couple of Boobies did the damage. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Bernie had 11 on No.1 according to a report he posted on FB this evening! Shock
A Booby Basher fast sinker and a couple of Boobies did the damage. Smile

Yeah, I saw that. He's a class act.

No regrets on my part though. It was pretty raw with the wind out on 1 yesterday. Quite a bit milder today...at least thats what I'm telling myself Wink

Tom
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to have another late morning/ afternoon session yesterday. First choice was Chew but having looked at the wind direction as I crossed the dam I didn't fancy it so I carried on to Blagdon. I arrived at Green Lawn around 11.00 am to find a glorious Autumn day with light wind from the South which certainly boded well for the session ahead.

There were around half a dozen rods fishing Green Lawn with at least one netting a fish as I set up but curiosity got the better of me so I decided to start fishing around the corner into Long Bay instead, on the assumption it had not met much angling pressure recently. It really looked good although I was half expecting to snag weed on my intermediate but that never really happened so I was surprised not to get a pull, despite cast and stepping up into the bay. Sad

After an hour or so I decided it was time to move around onto the Green Lawn especially as it was less busy now that some of the morning crew had gone home. The water clarity was again very good but it took an hour or so of plugging away before I got my first fish on my trusty fast glass and Booby set up. I got the feeling it was a fish that had been caught before because the first contact was no more than a slight resistance more like weed than a pull. It got my attention but I wasn't convinced it was a fish until I had about 20 feet of retrieve left and it very gently nipped the fly. From then on it was 'cat and mouse'! I speeded up the retrieve with no result then slowed it down again and felt it nip the fly but not lock on. I was running out of retrieve so I paused my flies for a few seconds before starting my retrieve again and then it was on! Dry fly and nymphs are all well and good, but there is nothing I like better that playing 'cat and mouse' with an inquisitive trout on a Booby set up! Very Happy

I was hoping for more like that but nothing else happened so as the conditions were so inviting I changed to the floating line with a White Tadpole on the point, a #12 Cruncher on the middle and a red DB on the top dropper. You would think with all the pressure the fish had received on Green Lawn over the last few weeks that they might be tempted by the small flies but no, it was only the lure on the point that they wanted. I had to work for my pulls but by 4pm I had released another 4 and as the light began to fade I lost a final fish on the fast glass rod.

There were quite a few anglers out including some fishing the North Shore around Ash Tree and Pegs. Word was that most anglers found it slower than of late although one or two did find plenty of fish with reports of up to 11 coming from around Pegs and in front of the Lodge. Given how good the fishing is it is easy to forget this is the last full week in November when normally most people would be grateful for a fish or two from the bank. Very Happy

Not long now before Blagdon closes so if you are looking to get out, do it soon. Wink

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie, arkle, tenet, lakefisher, Thomas Tom-Thomas, Hillwalker, Silver Invicta
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is PART of a facebook posssst, by Tim Wellman, PLESE DO ALL YOU CAN TO HELP !

https://www.facebook.com/groups/459638200875651/permalink/1981791125327010/?__cft__[0]=AZWwvi84H31p292Bp88Pc2RFdZys84WwNaoULLtsfIqYjQREPERBQaxSlRR2Gzk0zvx8eKsh8p4TbnH4tD_RZ0Jf1K3hKK8bDM7VPRKE6AVgwqC588mJpJhHyK68n0fu6N0&__tn__=R]-R

IMPORTANT
Rumours are beginning to circle regarding the future of Chew Valley Lake once more.
One of the tactics Bristol Reservoirs Fly Fishers Association is deploying to help save Chew (again) is to bombard Bristol Water Plc with good news!
So....We need your support with
phoning a message through to or emailing Bristol Water. Your message must say or contain the word “COMPLIMENT” as this flags up certain procedures.
The phone number for Customer Services is: 0345 600 3600
The email address for Customer Services is: customer.services@bristolwater.co.uk
If you have ever....
Fished Chew
Plan to fish Chew
Recognise its historic importance
Want your kids to fish there
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is only a rumour at the moment, the BRFFA usually have their ear to the ground so this is a worrying development. Sad

With heads now turning to the cost of the lockdown and Covid 19, the concern is that as the trout fishing operation is only a very small part of Bristol Water PLC, it could be seen as an easy target for cuts or worse. We need to ensure that those who make decisions get the full picture of what value trout fishing on Chew provides in terms recreation and the positive image it provides for the Company which extends well beyond its geographical footprint, due to the National and International reputation of its trout fishing offer..

So the BRFFA would like everyone to make sure they know just how much trout fishing on Chew means to us by sending 'complimentary' messages to their customer support using the information and contact details Jon (arkle) has helpfully pasted above rom FB. Your message doesn't have to be 'War and Peace' , just a few lines to say how much you appreciate the trout fishing on Chew and what it means to you etc . Remember to include the word 'compliment' somewhere within the text so that it gets a wider audience internally.

I sent my email off late last night and I hope everyone else who values the trout fishing on Chew will do the same. Smile

In case anyone thinks this is nothing to worry about, , check this out Arlington Reservoir. In particular note the statement from the Water Company at the end. Sound familiar? Sad

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: mc07fly, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted Martin's letter on the FFF - a thread about what you put in your sandwiches got more interest. Sad Sad

Last edited by tenet on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the fishing at Chew has been too good to be true this season. There seems to have been more fish stocked with regular
large catches. Getting rid of all the stock, maybe or just catching up after Lockdown? The amount of Trout caught per angler can't
be cost effective and with Covid many companies are using that as a convenient excuse. Hopefully this is and stays a rumour. What
was said to indicate it might be closing for Trout fishing? I will get my e-mail off and hope for the best.
Liked by: blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codfather wrote:
Hopefully this is and stays a rumour. What was said to indicate it might be closing for Trout fishing? I will get my e-mail off and hope for the best.

Thanks Jerry. From what I understand it is just the usual bankside rumours at the moment which have been exacerbated by the Covid 19 situation. However given the unbelievable season we have all enjoyed, letting Bristol Water PLC know just how much we appreciate and value the trout fishing at Chew is the least we can do, and it if helps to firm up their commitment to trout fishing on the lake so much the better. Very Happy

Moving on to better things, I decided to get another Blagdon session in before the season ends. Yesterday didn't look promising with a wet start but the wind was due to turn to the North as the day progressed so I thought the North Shore was worth a look. I arrived earlier than usual at 9am but due to the fairly stiff Westerly breeze I decided to give Pegs a miss and start at North bank at the top of the track where there was more shelter. Clarity was again excellent so I was feeling very confident when I cast out my White Tadpole , Cruncher and Red DB on my #7 floating line but it took an hour to get my first fish which took the White Taddy.

Despite thoroughly covering the bank with both the Floater and Fast Glass with Boobies nothing else happened so as the wind had dropped I decided to look at Pegs from around noon. I found the clarity wasn't quite as good but fortunately I had the bank to myself although after methodically covering the water for an hour nothing happened so I decided to move further up into Rugmoor where I had a follow first cast. Not long after a smooth draw on my line indicated a fish had taken my point fly and soon a well conditioned Rainbow was in my net.

After that I was expecting more but it took a lot of 'step and casting' to find another fish which was quickly released again. While common sense told me to stay put and keep plugging away, temptation got the better of me so I had a look at Ash Tree next where I met the only other angler I saw all day. He released his third fish taken on a DB while I was there but I just wasn't feeling it so it didn't take me long to return to Rugmoor. After that I picked up a few more including one that was part of a double hook-up ... in November! They took me into my backing before the smaller fish ripped off the Cruncher on the top dropper but fortunately the better fish took the point fly and made it all the way to my net ...

Then as things were just getting interesting a jack Pike decided to gatecrash the party and that seemed to put an end to my fun. By now the sun was sinking down behind the Mendips and what had been a pleasant autumn afternoon got decidedly chilly so I decided to give it best at around 4.30pm.

I still can't believe how well the lakes are fishing this late on in the year! I will certainly be hoping to get at least one more session in on Blagdon before I turn my attention to Chew and the Tanks in December. Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Last edited by Allrounder on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Doombar, BristolFlyer, Thomas Tom-Thomas, blondie
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent my email off yesterday & have recd acknowledgement from BW customer services this morning.

'Thank you so much for taking the time to contact us regarding your experiences of fishing at the lakes. It is fantastic to see how angling here at Bristol Water can benefit communities both far and wide. It has been well documented that angling brings both positive mental and physical well being benefits and we are very proud to play such an important role in providing these facilities here at Bristol Water.

We will pass on your comments to our lakeside team and once again thank you for taking the time to contact us'.

Probably a standard response & you'll all be getting the same, but hopefully the message will filter through to the hierarchy that a lot of people do care what happens.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doombar wrote:
Probably a standard response & you'll all be getting the same, but hopefully the message will filter through to the hierarchy that a lot of people do care what happens.

Well done, Colin. Cool
Maybe it shows someone has taken notice? This is the standard reply I got after sending my email the same night as the FB post ...

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch. Our office hours are 08:00 – 18:00 Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays). A member of our team will be in touch within 10 working days.

followed by contact details for emergencies etc.

Alan

Additional note... the updated standard response has just arrived in my inbox. Smile
B.A.S.S.

Last edited by Allrounder on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will compose an email now too.

Well done Al. Another good session! You should run a Christmas competition - "How many fish did Allrounder catch this year?" Closest guess wins a white Humongous booby? Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last day, I've had food poisoning & it was NOT at all pleasant, seems to have all but vanished now but my inbox was a trifle full. There was a note from BWW's p,r, team, amongst the rest of it & I'm surprised it came through so quick. It may have been a modified std. email, but it was personilised to the construct of my email, so they must be working overtime there a..t.m.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support Gents. Have it on good authority Bristol Water have had a red letter day for compliments!! 😎

This is more than a bank side rumour Alan alludes to.

Thanks

Tim
Liked by: Allrounder, Doombar, arkle, tenet, mc07fly, blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 36 of 37

Jump to: