The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Coronavirus reading list
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Books -> Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started on Chew the stick fly with a red (or green) tag was the nymph of choice. One of my recent fish had a lot of caddis in it so I don't see why it wouldn't still work today. I have used poly leaders in the past but I don't even own one now. Then the washing line was developed so I got a midge tip line. Smile

On the subject of tactic and tackle, I was interested to read that Chris Ogborne advocated the use of 4lb BS leaders in his book 'Blagdon' published in 1987. I think he would need a lot of backing if he tried that on Blagdon at the moment! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile

Last edited by Allrounder on Mon May 25, 2020 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a great deal of difference in a stick fly and a Diawl Bach 🤔 well maybe there is??
A bit of lead, a tag and a full hackle.
Very Happy

Have used sinking poly leader on a river but it was a bitch to cast.
P

Last edited by Fryfishing on Mon May 25, 2020 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when most self respecting reservoir fly fishermen would have a team of Worm Flies on their cast. They would often be tied on bespoke tandem irons with the rear hook sometimes inverted. Haven't seen one for ages.

https://images.app.goo.gl/w3AD8Sha2Yha1CHp9
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often had a tandem Worm Fly on the point back in the day. Both the standard and a black variant 😀

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is going off so subject.
My all time favourite that I still tie and use is a Black Pennell, tied to sink and another version to fish up in the water.
It still catches me fish at Farmoor.
Very Happy
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took advantage of Amazon during this lock down period and replaced my copies of "the Pursuit of Stillwater Trout" by Brian Clarke which is a ral classic from back in the 1970's. Also I got Conrad Voss Bark's work on "A History of Fly Fishing." An excellent book in which it can be seen how we have re-invented the wheel on more than one occasion.
Liked by: Allrounder
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
It is going off so subject.
My all time favourite that I still tie and use is a Black Pennell, tied to sink and another version to fish up in the water.
It still catches me fish at Farmoor.
Very Happy

Tie a tuft of yellow fluorescent floss in below the GP tippets, Peter. About half the length of the tippet tail.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
I took advantage of Amazon during this lock down period and replaced my copies of "the Pursuit of Stillwater Trout" by Brian Clarke which is a ral classic from back in the 1970's.

A book I would encourage anyone just starting out on stillwater trout fishing to read. He has a way of taking the reader with him on his journey and makes a brilliant case for imitative fishing which I think most anglers would prefer to follow, given the choice. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
wylye wrote:
I took advantage of Amazon during this lock down period and replaced my copies of "the Pursuit of Stillwater Trout" by Brian Clarke which is a ral classic from back in the 1970's.

A book I would encourage anyone just starting out on stillwater trout fishing to read. He has a way of taking the reader with him on his journey and makes a brilliant case for imitative fishing which I think most anglers would prefer to follow, given the choice. Very Happy

Alan

I think you may be a little sanguine if you think most anglers would prefer the imitative route, Alan, wedded as they are to blobs and fabs. Brian's is a good book and I found more to agree with in it now than I did when I got my first copy. Brian signed this for me and I made the mistake of lending it and never saw it again. I was then a confirmed lure stripper. Baby Dolls, Sweeney Todds, Black Chenilles and Vivas were my stock in trade. Wasn't until the end of the 1970's that I began to turn to the lighter approach.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Pursuit Of Still Water Trout that turned me into a line watcher and increased my catch rate.
Very Happy
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:

I think you may be a little sanguine if you think most anglers would prefer the imitative route, Alan, wedded as they are to blobs and fabs. Brian's is a good book and I found more to agree with in it now than I did when I got my first copy. Brian signed this for me and I made the mistake of lending it and never saw it again. I was then a confirmed lure stripper. Baby Dolls, Sweeney Todds, Black Chenilles and Vivas were my stock in trade. Wasn't until the end of the 1970's that I began to turn to the lighter approach.

I think most anglers just want to catch fish and pulling Blobs and FABs can be the most effective way to do it, certainly where fresh rainbow trout are involved. Thankfully I don't know anyone who would choose to fish Blobs and FABs through choice if they believed they could catch as many by taking a purely imitative route. Smile

My copy is also missing off my bookshelf which is a shame because it means I have to recall one of the most intriguing anecdotes from memory. It involved him fishing a small fishery where he stalked a large rainbow in clear water. It refused every natural imitation he presented and finally, out of desperation, he tried a bright lure (a 'Mondays Child' I believe) which the trout took without hesitation. I always admired the fact that although his book was evangelising for a imitative approach to stillwater trout fishing, he recognised that his approach wasn't infallible and the trout will always have the final word. If he had one back then, I wonder if he would have used a Blob instead of the Mondays Child? Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should resurrect this post considering the current state of the country in various forms of lock down.
Earlier, I commented that I had been sent a manuscript from my former employer to read and give a verdict on, well it has now been published[img][/img]
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the new Tom Fort, Casting at Shadows.
The blurb on the back suggests a history of fish and fishing in the UK and the current threat to wildlife and the environment. Plus the stories of the fish and their unique history.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Books -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: