The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.slvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both learned stuff yesterday, which will improve our fishing even more.
Really enjoyed the last few days with you mate, and you got me what I wanted a 2lb plus perch.and we both didn't blank.
Mission completed in my eyes.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, lakefisher, Allrounder, blondie
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you chaps get amongst them.

I fished yesterday and had a day of two halves. I started at 7am on Blagdon after hearing that my pupil had his first fish ever from Blagdon on Friday, and it was a clonker of 5lb.

What a beautiful morning. I started on Butcombe near the life ring and then fished all the way back to the dam wall alternating floating line and nymphs and lure on a sinking line. No weed and no fish, but plenty of swans! I saw a chap wade out in front of the lodge and get a fish almost straight away so I headed around there and waded out on the spit in front of the boat dock casting towards the point of Green Lawn. I had three fish in the first four casts on a white lure, and then it slowed down a bit as the chilly wind picked up. I kept at at for a couple of hours and ended up with about ten. All smallish stockies except for one that was dead on 4 1/2 lbs.

I went home for a long lunch and then tried Woodford bank on Chew from about 4pm. Quite a few boats around the cages and in front of the jetties, including a couple of disreputable looking chaps that seemed familar Laughing

The bank was quiet though - only a couple of small perch for me and I fished from the jetties all along Wood ford and well past the trees into Villice, which is quite easy now that weed has died back.

So my big back end brownie still eludes me, but there a couple more trips planned to put that right.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, arkle, Allrounder, JCP, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report and pics, Dave! Cool

Inspired by his success, I decided to try my chances at Blagdon today but I didn't do as well as he did. The forecast suggested a cold NW breeze so after looking at the Lodge bank I elected to fish the opposite North Shore. On the way around the lake I saw one angler on Green Lawn and possibly one on Rainbow Point but that was it until I reached the top car park when someone was setting up. He elected to fish to my right on the corner facing the dam while I waded off the bank below the car park. I haven't fished Blagdon since May and found the lake a little lower than I expected with more weed showing further out than I hoped but it was still fishable. Clarity was very good and it stayed dry with the odd sunny interval.

I started on the floater with Crunchers on the droppers and a Cats Whisker on the point and was greeted by pull on my second cast which boded well, but was just a taste of things to come. Nothing else happened so I moved further to my left and hooked a clump of weed first cast which quickly grew fins but threw the hook as I reached for my net. The fight had a dogged feel to it so I wasn't surprised when a few casts later a 3lb Jack made it all the way to the net. Rolling Eyes

After that I moved back along the bank again to my original spot and once again had a pull first cast that stayed attached until I reached for my net and it was off! At least it was a trout. The same infuriating pattern continued for the rest of the session whether I fished the floater or the fast glass with Boobies. If I got a pull it was within the first 3 casts after moving then nothing until I moved again and then the same thing happened. I eventually ended up with 3 fish to the net with a few more not making it and another bite off but by mid afternoon the nagging North Westerly and cold water had taken its toll so rather than grind out a few more fish, the thought of a nice hot bath to warm up when I got home persuaded me it was time to quit . Laughing

So a challenging day and although I had to work for my pulls I always had the feeling that there were a few fish in front of me which is all I ask for. Very Happy

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, Silver Invicta, BristolFlyer, mc07fly, blondie
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very enjoyable day afloat today with the Perch Whisperer aka Allrounder Smile

We set ourselves the target of a Chew slam - rainbow, brown, pike and perch - which was always going to be unlikely since neither of us have had a single brown this year and last time we chased perch together we didn't catch a single one!

Well we didn't achieve the slam but caught all of the other species, in great numbers at times (perch) and some very respectable sized trout.

The jacks were mostly very well behaved by hooking themselves in the scissors and not depleting our stock of flies too much.

We shared the lake with pike boats and bank men, but there was plenty of space and it was actually a very good vibe out on the water.

Alan was also very gracious when I flagrantly flouted fishery rules by catching fish out the back of the boat by mistake when motoring between drifts. The second time I think we had actually stopped and there was only the leader out the end eye, so hopefully I won't get banned after all.

Most of all, a really fun day with plenty of laughs - which was a real tonic in the current circumstances!
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet, lakefisher, blondie, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look forward to the October 'Lump Hunt' with Dave, where we deliberately target larger specimens instead of trying to catch as many fish as possible. Very Happy

As Dave explained a slight variation this year was to achieve a Chew 'Grand Slam' to the boat and our first target was obviously going to be a Rainbow . Word was that Wick was fishing well so Dave expertly set up a series of drifts where we picked up pulls and some lumpy Rainbows from the start plus a 2lb 3oz Perch and a Jack pike for Dave before we reluctantly had to drag ourselves away from feeding fish in order to search some of the deeper areas between the cages and jetties for a Brownie to complete our mission.

We expected to pick up some big Perch near the jetties but only the small ones obliged and although we longed for an elusive Brownie to take a fancy to our flies, it was Jack Pike that wanted to play with a further half a dozen to around 5lb coming to the boat as well as a few more Rainbows to 4lb which also took a liking to our Snakes and Zonkers . Unfortunately the Brownies eluded us and so did the Grand Slam, but there is always next time! Cool

A few pics from the day ...

Many thanks to Dave for sharing another memorable day and for having the best trained drogue on Chew. Laughing Very Happy

Until the next tide ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, BristolFlyer, mc07fly, blondie, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Yesterday - 09:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter (fryfishing) fancied a couple of days fishing the Bristol reservoirs including an overnight stay so arrangements were made for us to meet up to fish Blagdon from the bank yesterday and from a boat today. Last time Peter made a similar visit a few years ago the heavens opened and I can honestly say I've never been as wet in my life following a boat session. Surely that couldn't possibly happen again, could it? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Peter and I met at 11am as agreed following his drive down and on my suggestion we decided to fish the exposed peninsula in front of Blagdon Lodge. There was a stiff Southerly wind blowing on our backs and after carefully wading out a surprisingly long way we made a start. I elected to fish my usual floating line set up with Crunchers and a Black booby on the point but it was hard going for us although one of the other anglers further down was catching steadily. I managed to net two and lose one before we decided to stop for a break during which time we had a chat with Blagdon Guru Jeff Hirst who was the guy catching regularly further along but had just packed up. Armed with information kindly shared, we took over his vacant spot after our break and despite the worsening weather including heavy rain we managed to net another 11 fish fish between us before we gave it best at 4.30pm

Today we had a boat booked but given that a yellow weather warning was predicting heavy rain all day we were wondering if it was going to be a repeat of our previous trip a few years ago. However we needn't have worried because although it rained on and off for most of the day it was mainly showers and the wind was light to non existent which provided near perfect conditions for much of the day. However fate sent something else to test us when our outboard packed in not once but twice within a couple of hours which finally necessitated a tow back to the dock and a change of boat. Sad

As for the fishing, we were expecting another bumper day of pulls and fish but despite the excellent conditions the fish proved hard to tempt. I opened our score card while we were stranded off Green Lawn waiting for rescue and Peter had another in Wood Bay but a drift from North Bank to the Owl Box got no reward. We tried a drift in front of the Lodge (same area we fished from the bank yesterday ) but it proved unproductive (although at least one the anchored boats did well) and we ended the day with Peter picking up another 3 from Green Lawn and Home bay and me bringing up the rear with a stocky off Rainbow Point on my 'get out of jail' Fast Glass and Booby approach. Embarassed Laughing

A few pics from the day ...

Peter doing the business

Rowing back towards the dock after our second breakdown. That'll teach him to catch more fish than me on my Manor! Twisted Evil Laughing

So a bit disappointing after yesterday but I think we would have both settled for 19 fish between us over the two days when we first met in the car park yesterday morning. Very Happy

It is always enjoyable to share the bank and a boat with Peter and I'm looking forward to next time already. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher, mc07fly
tenet
2,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Yesterday - 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys - last picture could be the definition of a grimace😊
Liked by: Allrounder
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the story of your day and the accompanying pics Cool

Helps a lot with my vicarious fishing Embarassed ......... Tony Smile
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Today - 08:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to make the trip down the M4 for some fishing with Alan. My waders had their first outing since the last time we fished Chew on the forum social there. I do little wading but if I change my allegiance from Farmoor to Grafham I will be doing more. Alan certainly showed me how it is done when fishing up to your waist in water. After our break and the advice from the local expert Alan’s rod seemed to be continually bent with a fish attached ( and some times lost) Embarassed
We later came to the conclusion that as I was fishing nylon and he was on fluorocarbon he may have been getting that bit deeper than me and thus getting far more takes, food for thought Question
I also had a short lesson from Alan on fishing the washing line followed by catching some fish on the method which meant I passed my first B.W exam.

I stayed at the Seymour Arms in Blagdon, it had had a major refurbishment since I last stayed. The room was very comfortable and well fitted out with a much-needed hot shower and comfortable bed. Unfortunately, the food was rather a let-down. I am not sure if this was due to covid or some other kitchen related issue.

Day two and the BBC was warning of a wet and windy day but as Alan said "it's bark was worse than its bite". Alan had tied up some of the D.B boobies as recommended, so one went on the point with a couple of dark nymphs on the droppers. When we broke down (first time) and Alan spent the time to catch his first fish of the day, it seemed like it was going to be busy day passing the net to his end of the boat.
Despite moving around and covering various areas the fishing was hard, I changed the point fly from boobie based nymphs to lures, nymphs and finally a FAB as a “why not" option. Almost first cast with the FAB on the point I had my second fish after several hours of no interest.

I learnt with that FAB on the point and a floating line, a fluorocarbon leader will sink even a buoyant point fly like the FAB fishing the flies at a deeper angle than my nylon leader had the previous day.

Yes despite the weather we had a good time at Blagdon and it was great to catch up and fish with Alan on his home turf.
P
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, lakefisher, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Today - 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above, during a previous session on Blagdon a few years ago I got absolutely soaked to the skin despite my so called 'waterproof and breathable' clothing after getting caught in a monsoon that lasted all day. It really brought home to me the late Steve Parton's comment that there is nowhere to hide in a boat! Crying or Very sad

In the discussion on weather protection that followed on here, JCP suggested that a Poncho might be the answer so after doing some research I bought the TF Gear Poncho for £17.99 delivered. Since then I have never had a real reason to use it but given the yellow weather warning yesterday I dug it out from the back of the garage and I was glad I did.

As reported, the monsoon predicted did not materialise so although it was wet, it didn't get the sternest possible test. Having said that, when I removed it at the end of the day I was delighted to find that my clothes were bone dry underneath. Last time I had to literally wring water out of my jeans and drive home trouserless! Shock Laughing

If your aim is sartorial elegance then this item will do nothing for you. However if you want to stay dry in a boat during foul weather then it is worth checking out. Smile

Thanks for the tip, JP! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: