The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

BBC report on British mammals

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: BBC report on British mammals Reply with quote

It was interesting to see that the BBC report today on the UK's endangered mammal species included BEAVERS Shock
I wonder who would pull together a similar report for endangered fish species if or when it is needed.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Angling Trust website.
https://anglingtrust.net/2020/08/06/whats-the-rush-minister-decision-that-beavers-can-stay-on-river-otter-taken-too-early/

I did have the thought the other day, what would happen if beavers got into the Grand Union canal and started dropping trees to block the flow and build a lodge???
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go again.

"England world's most nature-depleted countries" is the BBC headline.

For such a small country with so many people I guess it is hardley surprising. But again another report where there is no mention of fish.
It is hard for me to see where we will be here in the UK ( if it still is the UK) by the time I turn up my toes.
Hopefully things will improve.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-55125932

Here we go Beavers have built their first dam in the UK for 400 years.
I wonder how this will progress. If they are not given protected status then when they spread into areas where they are not welcome I can see their pelts becoming an item worth selling on and a trade in the fur developing.
I do not know how I feel about the introduction of beavers back into the UK as we already have many issues with the natural enviorement being stretch to breaking point and the added problems of water polution.
P
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all are happy with Beavers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45835811

And this is the consequence.

https://theferret.scot/beavers-tayside-killing-87-pressure-reduce/
Liked by: Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two articles make interesting reading, there is an underlying hint that not everyone is pleased about their return.

I have seen beavers in America, they are big creatures, they not only make themselves at home in rivers but in lakes as well. I do wonder what Bristol Water would make of several beaver dams on the reservoirs and say the well healed suburbs of the Thames valley being flood due to beaver dam blockage.

P
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a given that reintroducing animals like Beavers will miraculously improve the environment yet most of the evidence seems anecdotal at best. Also from an angling perspective what affect will Beaver dams have on migrating Salmon on Sea Trout? Does anyone know? Does anyone care? Evil or Very Mad

You have to take your hat off to some of these environmentalists. They say 'Lets reintroduce a species that has been extinct for 400 years and no one has missed' and the Government says 'OK, go ahead'. A fishery is destroyed by invasive European Cormorants that were hardly ever seen inland 20 years ago but if a fishery owner wants to 'unintroduce' them to protect his livelihood the same environmentalists and the government lose their minds.

Rant over

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, tenet, blondie
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your absolutely allowed to rant Alan - Many of us feel the same way - including me.

In a former life, I offered crop protection services (shooting wood pigeon) on several farms, and was once verbally berated for doing so by a family of six "out for a walk in nature". As they couldn't see me in my hide and wearing camo, they walked close enough, from behind me, for the children to be scared when my 12 bore was fired, that apparently was unacceptable ! The man of the family explained the only reason he didn't beat some sense into me was that I'd likely shoot him.

One problem, I gently explained - I have the farmers written permission to be here - and you don't. I also do not think he will be very pleased to see the damage your family have caused by flattening his oil seed rape, especially in the middle of a 60 acre field with no public footpath through it. Now GO away (clean version!) - before I phone the farmer - and the police to have you charged with trespass, criminal damage and threatening behaviour !

Some people will only acknowledge their own, often biassed, point of view - to the exclusion of all others.

Tony
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder
blondie
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too!.I really hope the "Beaver" does not turn into the "Otter" ongoing saga Evil or Very Mad.They have devastated the Bristol avon,cotswold water park and numerous other areas .
Do these people(idiots) really look at the damage that otters and beavers can do when released into the environment.Theres even talk of wolves being released in parts of scotland!.
when will it all end Rolling Eyes These people need a "check up from the neck up" for the amount of damage caused by there "fury friends " Mad.Regards.Steve Sad
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that it has already started, much sooner than we thought.

I read in the Telegraph the story with a headline "Runaway beaver rescued in City was first to be rewilded"

This is a story about a about an escape from a rewilding enclosure near Poole Farm in Plymouth. It ended up in the city and was rounded up by the police and returned to the enclosure.
A further twist to the story is this rodent had previously been released at Forder Valley after being caught in the wild in the Tay catchment in Scotland.
The article tends to raise more questions than it answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: