The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Perch Hunter and anchors Reply with quote

Great report and visuals Alan Wondered about turning the clock back to a distant past float fishing for perch and put some squirmies under an indicator for the perch.There is something about watching a float go under you never lose Laughing .There were plenty of fry visible on Blagdon with the occasional predation shower from the hunt.Grebes were pretty active too.

Well could be a cluster***k on Blagdon with low levels some of the fish holding areas are pretty limited even for drifting boats.Hope it all works out and no oar jousting. Smile .

JP
Liked by: Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Perch Hunter and anchors Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Wondered about turning the clock back to a distant past float fishing for perch and put some squirmies under an indicator for the perch.There is something about watching a float go under you never lose Laughing

My guilty pleasure is float fishing for mackerel from a rocky headland or a pier. Sheringham was not wrong when he wrote that a float is “pleasing in appearance, and even more pleasing in disappearance”. Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: springwell, mc07fly
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Perch Hunter and anchors Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

My guilty pleasure is float fishing for mackerel from a rocky headland or a pier. Alan

I'm now going to boast big time Alan. Smile

Quite a few years ago when float fishing off the end of a local breakwater I caught in excess of 100 mackerel and probably 30 or so garfish on a sunny Sunday morning session.

I had quite an audience.

My gear and I were covered in scales.

Boast over Embarassed
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to catch them Bill, except on a fly rod but most of the marks I know are not really fly rod friendly. They make great eating too! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them would be frozen down to use as bait for bass, rays or even more mackerel. garfish and pollack on the float.

I'd put some back, but unfortunately mackerel don't survive too well when returned.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished Chew yesterday morning from the bank and decided to try Nunnery for the Perch again. I was hoping there would be little wind for the first couple of hours but when I arrived I found a brisk Westerly instead but it was still easily fishable.

I started on the 'stones' working my way along each spur in turn but although I found Perch including some double hook ups they were small. However I did have a bit of excitement when a nice trout grabbed my fry pattern on the 'hang' at the end of a retrieve only to throw the hook after taking 15 yards of line off me as it charged off towards the middle of the lake. Sad

A few hours later Richard, one of Jack's friends, arrived and promptly hooked a 2-1 Perch close in to the Stones and not to be undone, Jack himself arrived later still and although he didn't catch while I was there, pics of two cracking 2lb plus fish appeared on FB later in the day. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

As for me, I plugged away and hooked a 2-8 Rainbow pulling a Zonker on a fast glass while wading off the Point before I noticed I had a wet foot due to a slow leak so I called it a morning shortly after noon. I stopped by at the dam on the way home to check it out and found that the water level has fallen further since this time last week ...

Until next time (which will be a solo boat tomorrow!) .... Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, tenet, JCP, BristolFlyer, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on Chew in a solo boat today and I couldn't have picked a nicer Autumn day! The sun shone and it got warm in the afternoon but there was hardly a breath of wind on the lake and fish could be seen on top all across the lake all day. Very Happy

I was after Perch again and didn't waste any time taking advantage of the conditions. First stop was close in to the Sailing Club pulling a Zonker on a Fast Glass in 5 foot which resulted in a lost Rainbow but no monster Perch. I then tried further out on the D7 where the sounder soon identified masses of fry in the bottom layers but most of the Perch I caught were small coming in at around 6 to 8 ounces. In an effort to avoid the smaller fish I stepped up the size of my flies and then the inevitable happened - a solid pull followed by a dogged fight resulting in a 12 -8 pike netted and safely released. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Another smaller pike around 3lb followed along with dozens of smaller Perch. No matter where I fished I caught small Perch - Walley, the Sailing Club, the Jetties, Nunnery point, Woodford, Villice the result was the same, dozens of small Perch but I couldn't find anything over 2lb let alone 3lb, with my largest Perch on the day going 1-9.

For the last hour I changed over to trout on a floating line and was rewarded with a 3-5 Rainbow which took a Cruncher on a washing line. That will help to replenish the freezer which had run out of trout since my attention turned to Perch! Rolling Eyes

Until next time ... Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, arkle, Fryfishing, BristolFlyer, mc07fly, blondie, Doombar, JCP, Bovver
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! You are making me very excited for my next trip Alan! Smile
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Al, & impressive photography.

I had a lone boat yesterday on Chew. A bit of a contrast to Thursday. When I booked it the forecast was overcast with light winds but 'moderate' SW would be more like it & by early afternoon it had built into a significant swell off Whalley & the boils. Fortunately, based on my research, that wasn't where the fish were.

It was a tough day. I ended with 6, kept 3. Plus 3 perch, best about a pound, and a lost pike. Found fish across the mouth of Herons & off the stones (where there are a lot of perch, Al). Best bit of the day was from 5 o'clock onwards when the wind had dropped significantly & I found a few moving fish drifting from Nunnery point towards Woodford and had 2 to dries with several swirls & quite a bit of action generally until I packed in just after 6.00.

I'd only seen one other fish caught during the day & that was off the bank at Whalley so was feeling pretty pleased with myself until another boat came in while I was unloading & they'd had 16 to the boat fishing dries all day across mouth of Villace, in what would have been fairly sheltered conditions during the worst of the wind.

A warning to anyone venturing out. The Nunnery spit now extends out a very long way into the lake. I gave it (I thought) plenty of clearance ie 100 yds and more & still caught the bottom with the motor as did 2 others during the short time I was drifting across Villace.
Liked by: tenet, JCP, Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many years ago (probably 40 or more) whilst motoring back from a drift into Nunnery from the Roman Shallows area I grounded the boat, couldn't move it and being on my own started to feel a slight twinge of panic. No mobiles in those days. Prodding around the boat it seemed to suggest that I had grounded on some sort of chimney. Anyway being a fit and feerless 30 something clambered over the side of the boat onto terra firma and lifted the boat of the obstruction diving back in as it floated free.. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine.

edit: I think it must have been the drought year of 1976.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doombar wrote:
Nice one Al, & impressive photography.

Thanks Colin. I'm still getting the hang of using the timer on my 'point and shoot' camera but I am pleased with the results so far. Sounds like you had a good day too! Smile

tenet wrote:
Many many years ago (probably 40 or more) whilst motoring back from a drift into Nunnery from the Roman Shallows area I grounded the boat ...

A timely warning, Doug. I can't quite match that, but last season I was motoring at half bore from Nunnery towards the North end of Denny when the keel dragged on the shallow bar just before you get there. Fortunately the keel was only just touching bottom and the momentum took me over and into deeper water but the loss of the momentum caused by the keel dragging and the engine bouncing on the back scared the bejesus out of me. An experienced match angler also told me a similar tale when their boat took a glancing blow from a submerged tree stump in the East shore area south of Denny which almost tipped them both out of the boat. Shock Sad

Be careful out there, folks. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, mc07fly, lakefisher, blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: low levels Reply with quote

Don't want to be snagging the drogue on the old bell tower do we Laughing Lots of daddies about here in Dorset.

JP
Liked by: Allrounder
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 reports starting with last Saturday out of Blagdon. With Top End fishing well and advice from the Ranger I would get a hours
fishing on My own until the competition started. Not having fished top End before I wasn't sure where to go. I started right at the
end and the fresh breeze was pushing me into the weedbeds too quickly. It wasn't until the Amada of boats arrived I realised I was
starting My drift too far down. I didn't have a single pull for 4 hours and then had one on the WL. I thought I had the method but
nothing for another 2 hours, frustrating when a lot of fish were coming out, one Guy had 18. I then drifted from Green Lawn to
Orchard Bay and went back to basics, pulling a Damsel. I had one first cast and repeated the drifts until it got a bit lumpy out in the
middle. I ended up with 7 so went home happy except for snapping My favourite rod.
Yesterday I went to Blagdon again and decided to try the Dam area. I caught one off the top on a Black Booby and a few pulls that
didn't connect so I fished a damsel on a slime line and caught regularly until the sun made it difficult. I then used a Di7 on My new
rod and caught regularly again until it started to get colder. I ended up with 19 and a small jack and some Perch up to 8 oz. There
might be some decent ones there Alan.
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good and a very good session to me, Jerry! Very Happy

I know there are Perch in Blagdon and I have had them out to over 2lb in years past albeit accidentally when trout fishing. However the largest I've had when fishing for them has been around a pound.

Until a few seasons ago I always scheduled a boat session or two at this time of year on Blagdon for the Brownies and Perch but there is 2" size limit on flies (to avoid the pike) so I do Chew instead now. Having said that there are some nice Brownies to be had in Blagdon. Pete (Fryfishing) and I had these when we shared a boat together a few years ago ...

That's why I love this time of year. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, arkle, JCP, blondie, codfather
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: 2'' Damsels Reply with quote

Someone should tell esox lucius about the 2'' damsel rule Laughing

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: