The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

General Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers crossed little perch grow into big perch Very Happy
They are a god send in the canal, they provide some action and eat crayfish win win.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this 2lber from the canal last night, my best for some time out of the canal.
[img][/img]
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder, springwell, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Peter. Very Happy

I think 2020 is the year of the Perch! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, If I was living near chew I would be there at last hours tooled up with fry patterns for some perch action Very Happy
Are there any Perch in the Tanks?
P
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

Are there any Perch in the Tanks?
P

Ive heard of a few small ones being caught . But where there are small ones ... ! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big perch last night, this time the dropshot did the business . We guessed around 2.5 LB but in good condition it would have been a 3 lb fish.

[img][/img]
Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to have a few hours on my local stretch of the GUC on Friday. It is an area which I had as good as given up on due to lack of fish and too many boats moored bow to stern along the towpath Sad
The plan was simple, tiny drop shot lures on size 14 hooks and 4lb line, I was looking to see if any small perch were home and what the future may hold for this section.
It was not a great success but I did catch 5 small perch which gives me some hope for the future and maybe the odd bigger fish somewhere in the water.
I plan to walk the section and fish the same method to see if the fish are back.

Link

Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was going to be dry, I decided to have another go on the kayak and this time try and find some better perch for the BFS outfit to handle.
There were a lot of perch about and If I had landed every fish that took the lure I would have finished with over 40 perch, but the little ones could not quite manage to get as far as the hook.
My next plan (kayak fishing) is to move up a size and fish 3 to four-inch lures which should result in bigger fish but undoubtedly attracted the attention of the jack pike as well.

The budget BFS outfit works very well BUT I am starting to think that the dropshot is probably a more efficient way of dealing with smaller perch (maybe not so much fun).

Link

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can no doubt guess this but due to the heated water at Farmoor and other smaller trout fisheries near me I have been spending time with the lure rod.
Although pike are always welcome, I must admit that it is the Perch I am looking for and trying to catch 2lb plus fish. It has been a challenge this year to catch the bigger perch but I have had more small perch than normal. That said I scaled down tackle this year and (as you probably know) even purchased a BFS ultra-light outfit that makes catching even the smallest perch fun.
I watched a lad on YouTube urban fishing in Manchester and he was catching 2lb fish on a regular basis and then there is Alan catching quality fish at Chew. It is making me wonder where the bigger fish in my area, they must be somewhere.
I had a couple of hours on the Thames behind Farmoor last week and it was alive with small perch, which made a fun afternoons fishing. I returned to the same spot this week and struggled to catch (but did not blank) Tomorrow Friday 25th I am out on the Thames again near Oxford but this time going out with a friend from the LAS on the kayaks. I am hoping for a better size of fish.
Here is a link to last weeks trip out.

Link

Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thames did not give up her (or is it his, Father Thames???) fish easily yesterday.
I almost cried off when the forecast was 40 mph wind, but my co paddler Dave said it would be fine.
We launched the Kayaks around 9am and fished through until 4pm. The wind was an issue, but we kept in the shelter of the trees and bushes and being low to the water we avoided most of the blow.
As always, I took the minimum of kit while Dave seemed to be loading everything onto his kayak. So I fished the day with one rod and used curly tails and shads on jig heads.
My score at the end of the session was two jacks and one perch, the big perch did not appear unfortunately.

It was a good learning curve fishing such a large river and it was great to have Dave showing the way. This part of the Thames does not have a fast flow which helps but most of the boats do not slow down when they come past which can be an issue.
The day has added to my confidence on the kayak and once again highlighted the fishing opportunities missed when casting from the bank.
My next Kayak trip will be the Farmoor stretch.
P
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my dropshot kit out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours up on the Kennet & Avon Canal. It is still too coloured for the perch unfortunately, or more likely I have yet to master the finer points of this style of fishing. I did manage a scruffy little jack of about a pound which my youngest spaniel found very interesting. For a dog whose life in the shooting field is lived at Mach 2 he finds fishing very interesting and is always close to in case luck strikes and the boss actually catches something.

I think I will have to get Peter to repay the "masterclass" of backdrifting boobies with a masterclass of dropshotting for perch.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fun, maybe next time we meet at Farmoor on the bank we could have an hour or two on the Thames.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: