The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug - in this context when you have fished / have had a full season ticket for at least 25 consecutive years! Laughing I've met some who claim over 40 years!! Shock

Sorry about my bad manners, Colin! Great report. Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was said to be the hottest day of the year so far and also the third hottest on record so what did I do? I went fishing of course! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I arrived at Nunnery at dawn to find a flat calm lake with not a thing moving, not even the swans who quite sensibly still had their heads tucked under their wings. The forecast the night before was for a Southerly to SE wind so my plan was to fish Nunnery Point which can accommodate most wind directions once the water is low enough to wade. The lake bed was firm underfoot and I was surprised at just how far out I could wade out which gave me plenty of options over the morning, although it can get a bit tricky if you wade too far down on the Villice side. Wink

I started by wading and casting towards Woodford but apart from small Perch I had no luck so I gradually worked my way clockwise around the spit fan casting as I went. I must say it was a gorgeous morning but nothing was moving at all until I saw a solitary fish move back towards the Nunnery stones. I would have had to wade back 20 metres or so to cover it immediately so I elected to continue step and casting around the spit until I was within range. I wasn't sure if was still there or not as it hadn't broke surface since, but my second speculative cast locked up and soon I was in a tug of war with a good fish that was determined to go around a buoy with me equally determined to stop it! Eventually a good naturalised 3lb fish was in my net and quickly released. it took the green DB (what else?) on a washing line rig. That was the first and only action of the morning and as the sun was beginning to take its toll I decided to give it best at 8.30am Very Happy

I had tentative plans to visit again in the evening which firmed up considerably when my local Weather Guru predicted increased cloud cover and a temperature drop of some 11 degrees for the evening due to the wind swinging from the South to a WNW direction. Given this information I decided to try Woodford where I was delighted to find an almost perfect ripple when I arrived shortly after 6pm.

You can now wade off Woodford so I started from the middle of the bank, fishing my usual WL set up with a green DB and a Cruncher on the droppers with a small Black Booby on the point. As expected things were slow for the first couple of hours, apart from small Perch up to 6oz which mobbed my flies during every hang, but eventually everything locked up and a nice fish eventually made its way towards the net. However while giving dogged resistance it never made any searing runs and my suspicions were confirmed when a big Perch loomed into sight. It had taken the #12 Cruncher and took my scales down to 2lb 1oz before being safely returned. Cool

After that I picked up two trout between 2- 8 and 3-0 which also took the Cruncher and was treated to an excellent rainbow that arced the lake between Wick and North Shore before the shower clouds parted and a brilliant orange sunset told me it was time to call it a day. A great end to a very enjoyable days fishing. Cool

Until next time ... Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: BristolFlyer, tenet, arkle, mc07fly, Thomas Tom-Thomas, lakefisher, JCP, Silver Invicta, Doombar
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished at Oak Trees on Saturday arriving at 5am, greeted with flat calm water and over 20 Swans in My swim. Luckily They are friendly
Swans and are happy to let You wade between them. Early on I had one about 2lb on a Black Cruncher, then nothing for another 3 hours
when I caught another about 2lb. When the wind picked up I caught another 4 about the same size on the WL. There was about 10 fishing
near me catching the odd fish, so I was happy with catching 6. The fish were very far out, the boats were catching consistently stripping
and Roly Poly, but it slowed down for them after a few hours.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codfather wrote:
I was happy with catching 6. The fish were very far out,

You did very well!! Cool Interesting to see that you also found that a good cast was needed to reach the fish. That has been my experience over the last few trips as well. Very Happy

I had a last minute evening session last night and decided to fish lures on a fast glass for a change in the hope of picking up some better Perch. I started off on Woodford but felt that the fish were further out in deeper water due to bright sun and excellent water clarity so I walked over to Walley bank where deeper water was easier to access. I fished various Snakes Shock which resulted in a 2lb rainbow and a nice 1lb Perch before it was time to move back to Woodford again for the last hour as that was where my car was parked. This resulted in a slightly larger rainbow but no more big Perch unfortunately. All my fish took a Black Snake with the trout taking very high in the water.

Nice to see the better Perch are starting to show and that the trout aren't too proud to take a lure. Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, JCP
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Today - 05:22 pm    Post subject: Chew 6/8 Reply with quote

Hi all ,
Fished Chew today at Walley Bank . Early in the day it was quite calm , actually caught on a dry fly . However that was a false dawn , the breeze stiffened and eventually became wet with misty rain . The fishing was " tricky" although I had a spell early afternoon when it switched on and the fish were on the feed . Flies which caught were a fiery brown hopper ( dry ) , montana , quill cruncher and believe it or not all the rest came to an old fashioned Silver Invicta . Two of the rainbows were just over 4.5lb all the rest were about 2.5lb . When "spooned" they were either completely empty or stuffed with a mixture of tiny dark brown buzzers , blood worm and corixa .

Good to meet up Alan and thanks again for the "local knowledge" .
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder

PostPosted: Today - 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to fish today as well and after pondering the various options on the way down, I decided to look at Oak Tree. At first this looked like a good decision as fish were moving further out but after finally getting a pull and releasing a 6oz Rudd it occurred to me that not all the fish moving were trout! At that point the Southerly wind was also starting make long casting difficult so I decided to move to Nunnery Point.

Initially this didn't look like a wise decision as nothing was moving at all but it was comfortable fishing and eventually everything tightened up and a nice 3lb + Rainbow ended up in the net. A further two fish followed with another slipping the hook on the way in before I decided to call it a morning just after 9am. Two of my fish took took the Cruncher on the dropper and the other took the Booby on the point. I knew Pete (Silver Invicta) was fishing Walley so I dropped in to have a chat and a fish for an hour or two on the way home but unfortunately I couldn't catch any more fish.

I returned to Nunnery Point at around 6pm confident I would get a few more trout but instead all I could catch were Rudd, Perch and a 4lb Pike although I did lose two trout before it was time to finish. The biggest Rudd might have gone 12oz and took the Black Booby on the point so deep that I needed my forceps to remove the fly. Shock

Lots of cars by the Oak Tree as I drove back which suggests that may have been a better call for this evening, although given that it is August I am just relieved that I didn't blank! Laughing

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27
Page 27 of 27

Jump to: