The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Chew 28th July 2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Chew 28th July 2020 Reply with quote

My first pike trip after lockdown took place on Chew yesterday with Jack Welshman. Originally when the boat was booked the weather looked quite promising with Monday being wet and windy but although we lost the rain, we gained the sun and the wind was a nuisance for most of the day making the casting of 'budgies' hard work. Sad

We agree that our first drift should be across the Roman Shallows before the wind got too strong and that was a good choice with a few follows and a small one to the boat with another lost. The next drift was a more difficult affair because by then the wind had become much stronger and more difficult to penetrate with my back cast. Next stop was Herons where Jack changed to his perch gear and caught loads but not of any size although he did have a bonus rainbow trout not far short of 3lbs.

Not long after I had my best Jack pike on a drift near Moreton Point which punched far above its weight despite being 5 or 6lb at best but after that, despite various drifts into the picnic area, North Shore, behind the island, Stratford and Villice, only small Jack pike of 2lb or less graced out nets.

So a tough day but we did get our string pulled which is as much as we could reasonably expect given the time of year, bright sunny sky and strong wind. Smile

It was also a nice change from twiddling Diawl Bachs which I have done rather a lot of lately! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: JCP, tenet, lakefisher
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Allrounder report Reply with quote

Well Alan maybe you can find some consolation in ''there's a time fer inspiration and there's a time fer twiddlin''' Idea

JP
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BWF trout report was posted here by mistake. It has been moved to the Bristol Water Reservoirs thread. Embarassed

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly -> Fly Fishing For Pike All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: