The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alan.
If you want some youtube casting tips check out Orvis flycasting, he is very good at explaining the various techniques.
Peter

Link

Liked by: lakefisher, Allrounder, OakhillAlan
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakhillAlan wrote:
This is a tough sport for a beginner to get in to for all sorts of reasons....

Welcome onboard, Alan. Very Happy

You will find a lot of friendly and helpful anglers on here who are FAR more knowledgeable and accomplished than me. If you have any questions relating to the Bristol Water reservoirs or catch reports then feel free to post them on this thread. More general questions around fly fishing can be posted in the appropriate section on the main Forum.

Looking forward to reading your future contributions! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: OakhillAlan
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report as usual Al. Yes, I set out yesterday morning just knowing I'd have fish crawling up the rod right from the off as has been widely reported on here recently, so it came as a bit of a shock to have to work a bit for em. It was reassuring to have Al close by & know I wasn't the only one struggling.

I had a bit of action once we'd moved over on the stones with a fat pike around the 7lb mark, followed by a lost trout & then a well conditioned 3 pounder but after that, nothing for a long time & with it getting very hot & sticky we both headed off.

The possible plan was that we'd fish the dead tree again in the evening but on arrival at about 6.30 I had a look at oak trees & stones again first. The wind was blowing directly in so neither looked attractive & I ended up on the old road in front of Bobs house in what looked a lovely spot with the edge of a nice ripple just in casting range. Only problem was that the fish didn't want to play. Stacks of fry across the surface right across Herons and perch tapping the fly on almost every retrieve but nothing sizeable moving & surprisingly little insect life about, very few sedge & no buzzers coming off.

By 8.30 I hadn't seen Al or any of the anglers on the oak trees side catch & so decided on a move and headed to Woodford. No-one else there but again large shoals of fry & perch in the margins. I had a rainbow just over 2lb soon after I arrived on a black muskins fished WL & lost one a few casts later but nothing else trout-wise & as the sun went down the 'bigger' perch up to about 6oz started feeding & they really were a nuisance.

Toughest day for me for a while. Hopefully its just the weather putting a temporary damper on things.
Liked by: Hillwalker, arkle, Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Nets Reply with quote

Rising Water temperatures might be the reason for the ''bite'' not happening or nocturnal visitations.Hopefully not the case but can do a lot of damage these days with easily portable crafts and nets.Unfortunately all the social media reports of ''wide open'' fishing would not go unnoticed by certain fraternities.Locked gates are no barrier to this undesirable element.Might be worth a look around for signs of entry and exit.I know Mother Chew can just shut down but not quite to this extent given the times you were there fishing.

JP
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'undesirable elements' had a busy night then as I am hearing similar tales of woe from Blagdon! Laughing
While I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility I'd be inclined to lean towards the weather as the main reason, although I have to say the water didnt feel unduly warm when I was wading. Confused

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Limpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it's not just one area affected and so much acreage, I should imagine it's the change in weather. The margins where are the fish have been coming out of must have warmed up significantly over the past week as all the hot spots have been shallow bays, which will drive the fish to deeper water I guess.
A bit of cooler weather should help, but we could be in the summer lull we are used to already.
Liked by: Allrounder
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fish are in retreat because they have heard the boats are coming back Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure change as the rain comes in. Give it a day or two.....
Liked by: arkle, JCP, Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Tunes and barometers Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
Pressure change as the rain comes in. Give it a day or two.....

How does that tune go ''what a difference a day makes'' yes sudden drop in air pressure will flick the switch as doubt trout bandits would get around both lakes in one night Shock .Fingers crossed for a return to form.Bristol area air pressure drop was a steep curve.Steady now at 1000.0 down from 1020.0 a few days ago.Usually affects the sea trout but not last night Very Happy Laughing

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=5dcbedd0a9&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1670582009273628106&th=172f197c7ee9b5ca&view=att&disp=safe

JP
Liked by: Allrounder
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Oak Trees Reply with quote

Fished the Oak Trees Saturday and had 15 to Diawl Bachs. In the morning I had the whole bank to Myself. Woke up on Sunday to see the weather was
not as bad as originally forecast so I thought I would give it another go. Got there at 8am and was surprised nobody was there. I had a fish almost every
cast for a few hours in the morning and then it slowed down in the afternoon. I ended up with 20 plus fish. The rain and wind freshened it up and switched
everything back on. Normal Service Resumed Very Happy
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, tenet, JCP, blondie
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Jerry. Very Happy

Your report has certainly encouraged me to get out this week ... not that I need much persuading! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: codfather
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone boat fishing Chew Thursday? Grin
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me Mark, although I imagine fishing will be epic, especially at North Shore, behind Denny and in all the other areas where the resident fish haven't seen a fisherman's fly for over 3 months! Cool

I had my usual early morning start yesterday and given the wind direction and weather conditions, the dead tree beckoned me once more. There wasn't much moving when I arrived but a solitary fish taking a fly off the top within casting range gave me hope although it took perhaps a dozen casts before I got my first fish on a green DB. A few more followed over the next hour or two before the action slowed right down with a wait of almost two hours between my last two fish before I gave them best at 10 am. All my fish came to the washing line but unusually it was the Black Booby on the point that did the most damage. Most of my fish were smaller than usual ( new stockies?) although I did manage two that I estimated to be over 3lbs.

I arrived back for my evening session a little later than usual at 6pm to find three anglers fishing my usual spots by the dead tree so I had to get in further down down towards Bobs House. Here the lakebed was less firm and there was more weed but it was still very fishable with a washing line set up. Unlike earlier in the day, the wind had picked up and was blowing onshore at a 10 o'clock but it was still possible to put a line out between the squally showers. I saw a few small fish rising in close between the waves and assumed they were Perch so I was very surprised when the first 'Perch' turned out to be a small Rudd which was followed shortly after by a better one of around 8oz. I've had a few Roach over the years and plenty of Perch but I can't recall any Rudd. This is a pic of the smaller one ...

The guys to my right were picking up the occasional fish each and shortly after I joined the fun with a nice fish of around 4lb that took me into my backing but that was it until the guy closest to me packed in which allowed me to move in to get closer to the action. This resulted in a couple of smaller fish which took the Green DB before I landed another good 4lb+ fish that took all of my line and a good deal of backing before it finally made it to the net. After that things went very quiet apart from the small Perch and as they only seem to show in numbers when the trout are not around, I gave it best at around 9.30pm.

Great to see the fishing has picked up again with a nice mixture of 'smaller' fish with a few 'backing stretchers' to keep me on my toes! Just how I like it! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, JCP, BristolFlyer, Hillwalker, arkle, blondie, OakhillAlan, Doombar
Hillwalker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Alan. I also fished Chew yesterday but work limited me to an early evening session - I arrived around 4.30pm. Went to the Oak trees and a few fishing so thought I’d carry on and do some exploring and return later when perhaps it might be quieter - a mistake! Could also see that Heron’s looked quite busy.

I thought I’d try Villace and parked up at the end and walked through. Very overgrown and difficult to get to the water but found one accessible spot and it all seemed quite pleasant though clearly very weedy. Fished washing line with popper hopper on the point, a wet dry brown hopper plus a green db on the droppers. No sign of fish at all. Started to catch coarse fish with small roach, perch and a lovely Rudd which must have been close to 1lb! Was about to move when I had a trout out of the blue which took the db. Then after another hour another one which I did cast to, being one of the very few fish which showed. This took the wet hopper and was a good fish around 4lb.

The weed was a nightmare and started getting really plagued again by small coarse fish (no doubt due to the weed) so shortly before 8.45 thought I’d have a final hour at the Oak trees. Upon arrival it was even busier than before. I decided just to go home but took out 5 minutes for a look and in that brief time I think I saw far more fish rising than all my time at Villace. Hey ho still an interesting session.
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie, Doombar
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb mornings sport at Chew today ( thanks Alan) . I looked at Bob`s house side of Herons Green , at least 6 cars in the car parks , therefore I decided to go over to the other side , in front of the Oak tree . Caught fish all morning , floating line , small damsel booby ( hot orange head ) on the point , green holo db in the middle and an olive quill cruncher on the top . All the flies caught , including a double hook up , fish of about 2lb on the point and a 6lb on the top dropper , luckily i managed to net the bigger fish , then handline the other and release it .
I left both my marrow spoons at home therefore no idea what they were feeding on , but some fish were showing on top and even taking the booby like a dry fly ! They were not very far out , some takes were on the hang .
Total weight was about 28lb all fin perfect bars of silver , well done Bristol water !!!
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, Hillwalker, blondie, Doombar
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 22 of 25

Jump to: