The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Anybody Fished Draycote recently

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Anybody Fished Draycote recently Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have booked myself in for a day on the bank at Draycote saturday but have never fished there before, and don't generally fish large reservoirs. Does anybody have any advice? They suggested size 12 naturals and nymphs on the phone when I booked.

Theres a decent map on the website (stolen below) but i've no idea what spots are best in what conditions - its going to be light showers and a gentle easterly breeze (currently - who knows the reality by sat Rolling Eyes ). Id prefer not to have to wade up to my armpits as 1) my waders leak a bit around knee level and 2) they are waist waders!

Cheers

Roger
RogB
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick report on our first day at Draycote. As expected the weather forecast was inaccurate and the day turned out to be hot and sunny with a gentle breeze that picked up Sad

After arriving at the lodge, not following the instructions I made some enquiries as to good spots to get started - Toft Shallows and Cornfield with typical washing line techniques a good option. Good news for me as I had tied up a few boobies the evening before. Enjoying the novelty of driving around the lake my preferred spot on Toft bank was occupied by a couple of anglers getting set up so I went further around to the other end of the buoy line marking out the shallows. John and I got fishing at the same time despite him turning up 40 mins late. It was bright sun and no sign of fish and we flogged away for a good few hours going through endless fly selections. All the boats were on our bank, the chap in front of us caught a few first thing then nothing so he set off. John hooked one at close range as he flicked his line out to sort something - it was on for about 2 seconds before parting way on the 6lb leader. We went for a stroll further along Cornfield but the breeze was getting up and we could see a long line of anglers. A bit dismayed by the lack of rises and the blinding hot sun we spotted the other end of the buoy line was in the lee of the wind and the original anglers there had moved on so we scooted over. Now reasoning that we had only seen a couple of rises all dayI thought getting a bit deeper would be no bad thing so switched the booby out for a damsel which within a few casts was smashed out of the blue - and that fish too snapped the leader. So I re-rigged with my saltwater fluouro in 11lb and set about working a blue flash damsel over the quite shallow, clear (but with clumps of algae) water. Not too long after I had another solid take and hookup and a cracking fight for about 10 mins as the fish took me all over the shop, down to the reel and jumped a lot but was finally subdued - 6-7lb of chunky fighting fit rainbow. Then before you know it half the boats and anglers had swapped sides and come to join us! That was it for another few hrs for us until I tried a montana-esque black and chartreuse booby on an intermediate and that again was another fighting fit rainbow - again a cracking fight, made more nervous by the knowledge he was still on the lighter tippet. He was 4-5lb. John and I swapped swims and moved up and down a bit (and I caught a 4lb pike on the damsel in 1' of water) so about 5:30pm called it best after a long day in the sun (with a few clouds at the end). I was pleased with my fit fish from the water, gave John the biggie as he has more mouths to feed and set off on the ~2hr drive home. Having read the fishery report that was a good move as " However, rain quite literally stopped play at around 6.30 when a massive storm including thunder and lighting rolled in." Very Happy

Tough but enjoyable fishing - but I must say the trout was the best tasting ive ever had - not muddy taste and non -fatty. I am sure we will come back for another go.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: