The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Daddies Reply with quote

trout wrote:

Going to do more 'proper' Dry fly fishing this year, as daddies pulled dont really count Laughing

Oh yes they Scoooby doooooo. Very Happy Very Happy

JP
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, I attach the indicator to a short length of fly line backing either by the New Zealand style using the plastic tubing, or by the "O" ring method. I had to assume that there was some form of loop on the end of the fly line, either built-in, or Moser loop (which I prefer) and then the indicator section can be attached to that via a water knot. The other end of the indicator section has a loop for the leader attachment. If there is a permanently attached butt section of mono needle knotted to the fly line, then the most logical thing is to attach the indicator direct to it via the New Zealand method.

As a side issue, should there be a DLL season at Farmoor which hasn't really happened for several years then I like to "nymph" the imitations. Three up on a leader and use a slow intermediate fished across the breeze. Takes are brutal.

I do some teaching on a small and very clear lake in Hampshire which is well stocked. The reaction to a dry fly of any sort can be easily observed and while the DLL catches well it is a case of chuck it out, leave it for 10 seconds and if no result chuck it out again. Leaving it static gets nowhere as the fish just swim past it. Twitch it and one will have a quick look but seldom take. Drop it on the water and they'll have it. Makes one wonder how often that happens on a bigger water where things subsurface can't be seen.
Liked by: Allrounder, blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Legs Reply with quote

Luv flies with legs Wylye.Like you say some days on Farmoor takes are'' come on in the water is lovely'' to quote our own Tim Wellman.I have only fished Farmoor from a boat but happy to try land based once the furore dies down a little .Combat fishing not for me especially at this time of the life cycle.Good for the fisheries to have the numbers we are seeing.River will suffice for now as Mays are up.

Best regards JP
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first day out yesterday. Started on Woodford at about 6.00 but nothing doing either for me or the 3 others already there so moved on to oak trees where same story although there had been fish there earlier apparently.

Moved across to Green Lawn around 9ish to find a strong westerly making things difficult. Didn't see you there Al so you must have gone shortly before I got there. Floater was out of the question & even slow inter & washing line was picking up weed. Fortunately the wind died back not long after & conditions felt a lot better so on went the floater, short leader & 2 nymphs. Still not easy though. I managed just 3 takes in the next 2 hours. First was a rip off (very close range, I had no chance!) but the other 2 resulted in a cracking brace of 5lb fish, both safely returned after long & spectacular scraps. Only 2 other anglers there, on the seat corner & they had a couple each. Very high average size - smallest was about 3.5.

Had the afternoon at home &, hoping for some sensible sized fish for the freezer (!), headed for Oak trees where they were feeding well & a very pleasant evening all round. Took 3 & returned 2, all around 2.5lbs. Plus a half pound perch, which I was pleased to see if only cos it explained why I was missing so many taps & plucks.

I made the stupid mistake of surrendering my S/T for a refund, expecting everything would be closed for a lot longer, so will have to keep an eye on the booking website for slots for next week. Just like Sainsburys.
Liked by: BristolFlyer, mc07fly, arkle, Allrounder, blondie
Limpet

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan

Addendum : I forgot to add that it was good to meet Limpet from the forum on Wednesday evening. I hope he did better than me.!

It was good to meet you as well Alan. Having taken Wednesday off from work, it's taken me this long to recover in order to put a report in.

Wednesday was my first foray onto the water since Opening day, so was well anticipated. My dad and friend assembled from separate cars and socially distanced ourselves within reason. We started off on North shore in our favoured position. I had a new sink tip line from SunRay which I was itching to try, its very much a shooting line setup with a thick front section, and did the job on distance, though I was slapping the water in front a bit!.
I started fishing just after 8.30 and the lake was punctuated with rises and swirls, mostly at boat range, However, occasionally the fish would move in and we were rewarded with action. I caught 4 lovely fish over the next 3.5 hours between 3 and 4lb and lost another that hung on for a few minutes before slipping the hook. I had tied a few flies the night before, so had a new Corixa Cruncher on the point and a brown cruncher on the dropper, both a rough copy of Davie McPhail's YouTube versions which he ties so expertly. The dropper was taken every time (see Photo), which would have been just sub-surface. By the end of the day the body of the dropper only had a few strands of pheasant tail fibres and orange under whipping on the body. but the fish didn't mind.

I did notice Corixa in the margins when wading and also when I spooned the fish they had live Damsel Fly Nymphs in them. Quite a few sedges were also lifting off, and many of them came home with me, after hitching a ride in my Campervan, Doris, which I decided to have a run out in, as she hasn't been able to get out either!

The wind got up and the fish went down after lunch, so eventually we moved onto Rainbow Point late afternoon but the casting was ugly. How the wind changes direction from opposite sides of the lake baffles me, as other anglers have mentioned too.
So we decided to have the last hour on Green Lawn. My Dad and friend in the middle and me squeezed in down near the slipway. I had my 5th fish in the first few minutes and then stuck it out for a few more. The last fish I thought was a leviathan, as I could make no progress at all and it was in charge, but soon realised that I either had a couple on, or something else was afoot. Eventually it went light and a 2lb fish emerged with rake marks and toothy critter puncture holes on both sides. It must have been a nice Pike!
My Dad and friend went early, but I was 7 up by that time, so kept on. I had another fish on for ages but it weeded itself and escaped, and then bites dried up so I decided to leave. If I had stuck it out I am sure I could have caught plenty more as the evening activity hadn't yet started, but lots of fish gutting and then Zoom meetings starting at 08.30 the next day sent me packing before 8.00 pm.
All in all, a really enjoyable day, especially when you can see your Dad in the flesh and have a natter without starring into a computer screen. I took 7 fish with an average weight of 3.5lb. I had a good chat with Alan after introducing myself when I was packing up.
It was only when I got home and was gutting the fish I realised how badly damaged the pike bait fish was, it wasn't even fit for the table it had so many lacerations on it which didn't appear unless you handled it.
My Dad returned to the lake Thursday, as he had left a rod somewhere, all tackled up! He retraced his steps and found it where he left it on Rainbow Point, though I am sure someone would have handed it in if they found.
Tight Lines
Andrew
Liked by: JCP, mc07fly, Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher, blondie
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reports guys - Would just love an afternoon/evening on Blagdon but since having my ankle fused getting out of waders is a two man job. Sad

Hopefully boat fishing will be allowed in the not too distant future.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sooner than posting the above BW have announced a restricted level of boat fishing on Blagdon. See their website and FB for details.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Bob (Wylye) and Laurence (Trout) for their detailed replies on bung construction and fishing the bung. I have fished the bung but after an abortive attempt to replicate Wylye's method due to the indicator sinking (I realise now I wasn't using enough yarn Rolling Eyes ) I reverted to fishing Pimps instead but I will look at Wylye's approach again. Very Happy

Some great reports starting to come in now so thanks for posting. Some really good fish coming out of Blagdon at the moment and I agree with Colin (Doombar) about the long and spectacular scraps. I can't remember the last time I saw my backing going up through the guides so many times and some of the acrobatic leaps are amazing, although more than a little disconcerting at the time! Laughing

Good to hear the trout are feasting on the small Damsel nymphs that seem prolific this year. I too have noted them swimming to shore and there are loads of adults in the grass on Green Lawn. I recall people mentioning that Damsels rarely turned up in autopsies so I'm please to hear the fish have switched on to them. Smile

Good to see that BWF are making the first tentative steps to opening up the boat fishing at Blagdon which will be welcome to all those who prefer their fishing on the open water. If you haven't seen it yet, the Covid inspired instruction video they have released is worth a look as an indication of things to come while the virus remains a threat.

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, JCP, blondie, arkle
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trout wrote:
I use the bungs called fish pimps, just put the flexi tube on your flourocarbon leader, attatch the bright bit, and slide over braided loop which should make it fairly secure Cool In the past ive just tied a small bit of foam to the braided loop and had great results.

Fish Pimps are fine BUT we discovered very early on when we first started using indicators in 1979 and were using 1.5" lengths of painted peacock quill - an early form of Fish Pimp - that there is one glaring problem. They won't go down through the rod rings and THAT is one big pain in the **** when leaders get much past 10' long and they are attached to the ens of the fly line. That is why we started using yarn indicators.

I'll use Fish Pimps on more turbulent rivers but for the rest it is wool or yarn. Less resistance to a taking fish as well.
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan....A friend of mine said Fario bungs are really good. Very durable apparently. 🙄

Jon....Your come in, the water’s lovely quote made me chuckle!

Had a few hours off Walley Saturday and managed a couple to floater washing line and nymphs. Weather was very average but it was nice to be out to wet a line. My lad who’s 11 stole the show with a 26lb 4oz Pike which was bloody huge!

Nice to be out with the boy for the sake of being out rather than fishing or practicing for a match.

Out again tomorrow and the conditions look really good so hopefully winkle a few more out.

Cheers

Tim
Liked by: arkle, mc07fly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the picture on FB - he looked well pleased. Good to see you posting again Tim Smile
Appleman
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Saw the picture on FB - he looked well pleased. Good to see you posting again Tim Smile

Yeah, it’s been a while between posts Doug.

I‘ll make an effort and report back after tomorrow’s jaunt. For a long time I’ve been looking for an opportunity to chuck my 4wt on Chew. If the conditions are okay, I’ll be given this a whirl tomorrow.
Liked by: JCP
Dipper1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I posted on here but have been instructed to do so by Alan so thought I'd better
Had an early start at Oaktrees today , cracking sport from the start with fish rising at wellie wading depth , first fish fell to a black popper hopper after a few flicks rather than casts , red dbs and muskins proceeded to work high up in the water for the next few hours , superb quality fit fish to 4lb, things slowed up as the sun rose and the breeze dropped but the occasional fish kept me on my toes till I called it a day at lunchtime
Liked by: arkle, JCP, lakefisher, tenet, mc07fly
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: 4wt on Chew Reply with quote

Conditions look spot on Tim for some topwater fun.Look forward to the next chapter in the ''Wellman Diaries''.

Best JP
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 01:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look's a bit like a couple of local eateries have had their chips, at least for the time being https://www.bristol247.com/food-and-drink/news-food-and-drink/top-bristol-chef-and-restaurateur-technically-bankrupt/?utm_source=Bristol24%2F7&utm_campaign=106f666af5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_05_26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_67a9a4e1bd-106f666af5-38761065&mc_cid=106f666af5&mc_eid=8b378363fb
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: