The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back home from an afternoon on Farmoor 2. Had I not had to pre booked and payed then given the conditions would probably deferred my trip but it was good to get out. Wall to wall sunshine with a moderate WSW breeze. Set up near no1 car park at the southern end with a tricky breeze coming in diagonally left to right.

The upshot was 4 fish taken and 4 fish lost mostly to buzzer on a floater but a couple on an Indy and a blue flash damsel. The guy next to me was catching for a pastime but his pal on the next peg down was catching at a much slower rate. A polite enquiry and he was straight lining buzzers on a floater the same as me and his pal, so just goes to show. The fish were down in the water column and letting the nymphs get down often meant picking up algae/weed with the annoying cleaning routine. Hardly a fish seen all afternoon notwithstanding occassional fly coming off.

Interesting observation - watched a guy with a 13ft switch rod and a Indy. He could work the flies back and lift them clear of the shelving thereby not picking up weed. He was roll/Spey casting and getting really good distance. Food for thought if the lockdown continues and boats are verboten.

Cheers.
Liked by: JCP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I think I passed you on my way past car park 1, gave a wave as I was not sure it was you, sorry.

I had a right old mixed day, started on No1 and fished there all of the morning trying to crack a code but after several moves I decided there was no code just sulking fish. Bearing in mind that there have been reports of big numbers being caught.
One fish was all I could manage on No1, but it was great to be out again. I also meet a friend of Wylye's, Malcolm if my memory serves me correctly.
On the advice from the warden I moved to No2 and there were rods bending as I drove around, I parked in C.P No2 and joined the pack. The same as Doug, the two to my left were pulling them out so I stuck to the static buzzers and eventually it paid off with some cracking fish and a few missed takes. At around 5pm I moved back to No1 for a last gasp and had a fish on the first cast but the action did not continue. So I finished with 6 fish successfully returned and a good start to my summer tan.
Very Happy
Liked by: tenet
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap catching for a pastime said he'd fished F1 all morning for nought so moved to F2 and cleaned up. They wanted the flies fished very slow but the bright sunshine didn't help but like you I have a very healthy tan. Smile Just hope they can come up with a means of fishing from a boat safe, just to easy for the H&S guys to say no. Crying or Very sad
Liked by: JCP
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there yesterday and it was busier than I've seen for many years. I started at the No 2 car park and fished just to the right of the old pontoon. I had two very quickly and then it just died. I moved to the other side of the pontoon and had one more and then as it was so slow I decided on F1. En route I saw fish being caught down near Car park 3 so stopped and fished right down near the no fishing sign. 6 fish followed in quick succession and then that too died in the bright sunshine.

I went for a look at F1 and three chaps near to causeway on the west bank had been catching well & two of them lifted in to fish as I watched. That was enough for me so off I went onto F1 and about 150 yards down from the three guys. An hour later one take to a deep buzzer and that was it. It was then 3 pm and dogs needed to be taken out so it was home for me. 10 for the day on buzzers so not a disaster by any stretch, but nowhere near as manic as last Thursday, but days like that don't come around very often.
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you both, it would have been good to have a catch up at distance.

The causeway corner was producing fish but the rest of the west bank was a struggle for me. I stayed until 6.45 and I could see fish moveing close in and they looked like they were in the mood to feed but it was time to go Sad
On any other sunny day at Farmoor I would have been amazed to have caught 6 fish. There was a similar day in June last year when I blanked on the Thames with the lure rod and blanked on the reservoir with the fly rod.
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Sorry I missed you both, it would have been good to have a catch up at distance.

The causeway corner was producing fish but the rest of the west bank was a struggle for me. I stayed until 6.45 and I could see fish moveing close in and they looked like they were in the mood to feed but it was time to go Sad
On any other sunny day at Farmoor I would have been amazed to have caught 6 fish. There was a similar day in June last year when I blanked on the Thames with the lure rod and blanked on the reservoir with the fly rod.
P

Yes it's difficult to understand why they are locking the gates strictly at 7pm with Nigel, the ranger, doing a final round at 6.15 reminding folk. I jokingly said to Mark that they were on short time with a 10am start and 7pm finish but he said they were working their cobs off so go figure. Surprised
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago there was a warden at Farmoor called Paul (I think), we called him Bandana Man as he always wore one and he was more than a tad grumpy. I was stunned when told he was on long term leave with stress Shock
If I lived near to Farmoor I would consider a part time job there, free fishing and some £££ in the pocket, compared to my working life that was it would be a good day at the office.
Very Happy
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy you're thinking of is Paul Doherty and he could be a bit of a misery guts. However, he did often allow us to stay on a bit longer after "lights out". The chap before him was Pete Maddern and he was a real gem. Heavy smoker and the weed got him in the end, I believe. There was chap before that whose name escapes me, but I think he went on to Rooksbury Mill which turned out to be a bit of a mistake.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 08:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast was for cloud cover so made my first foray to Darlow lake. Arrived at 12.30 just as my old pal Pino was leaving. He had been there from 7 am and had blanked. Yet again let down by the forecasters as I had wall to wall sunshine for most of the afternoon. The upshot was just one feisty rainbow of about 3lb to a muskin and one pull to a damsel nymph. Water temps up to 19c so things look grim for the fishery. Telephoned Farmoor reservoir mid afternoon hoping to get a ticket but Mark told me they had sold their allotted 50 tickets so no chance. They have their thinking caps on regarding boats and hopefully we may get some good news in the not yo distant future. Good to get out and top up the tan.😊
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: