The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs a tequila blob when I have a Barbara Cartland
Very Happy
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Virtual Angling Reply with quote

I didn't need much persuading to get out again today and I arrived at the Rugmoor gate on Blagdon at around 9am. The weather was overcast with a cold NE wind which got stronger as the day drew on.

As expected there were a few anglers around Pegs and a number of boats up in Rugmoor so I carried on along the track to find an alternative place to start. Blagdon wasn't that busy but all the well known spots had anglers on them so I eventually ended up in the car park at the end of the track on the North Bank. I wasn't too bothered about this because I have had some good early season sessions there in the past fishing lures and with deep water in close I didn't have to wade! Smile

Due to the good clarity I decided on a nymph approach so I started out with a washing line approach on an intermediate with a Black DB and a Buzzer with a small Booby on the point. However after an hour with nothing to show I gave in to temptation and reverted to my comfort blanket - the D4 with a Black booby on the point and Tequila Blob Booby on the dropper. Embarassed Laughing

Once again, that got me out of jail although my first fish slipped the hook before I netted my smallest fish so far this season which weighed all of 1-8. I carried on with this approach for the rest of the morning but it was hard work. Pulls - when they came - were well spaced out although by 1pm I had managed to grind out 3 fish while losing a couple on the way in, all on the Black Booby. In normal times I would have probably called it a day at this point but the prospect of going home and just watching the telly didn't appeal at all, so I decided to drive back along the track to see if any vacancies had arisen. I tried a spot near the Ash Trees but there was nothing doing and then got in to the right of a couple of guys on Pegs who were catching fairly regularly, but I felt I was just a little too far away from the fish so I decided to look at Rugmoor.

I had convinced myself earlier that with the lake at top level Rugmoor might be inaccessible wading from the bank but in fact in one or two places it was possible to wade legally out to the reed line . Better still, the wind was lighter at this end of the lake and was now blowing off the shore so I didn't need much persuading to give it a go. Given the conditions, off came the D4 and on went the floater with a Damsel Nymph on the point and a Black DB on the dropper, which I later changed to a Cruncher. Very Happy

I had that feeling from my first cast that everything had finally fallen into place so I wasn't at all surprised when my line slid a few inches across the surface following my second cast, resulting in a powerful 3lb plus Rainbow that took me into my backing. After that more fish followed to the Damsel and the Cruncher and what fish they were - nothing under 3lb with the largest estimated at around 4 -8 ! However the water was c-c-c-cold and after my eighth fish I decided to give them best and packed up just after 5.30pm Laughing

Many thanks to Dave (bristolflyer) for his advice ! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.

Last edited by Allrounder on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, Fryfishing, Thomas Tom-Thomas, Doombar, blondie, Bovver, Silver Invicta, BristolFlyer
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc07fly wrote:
I was thinking of making a contribution on e.g. tequila and blob colours in response to an earlier Fryfisher post but our Moderator may feel that such wisdom Smile should be posted elsewhere and not wish to dilute or lower the tone of these excellent BWF visit-focused threads.

Post away, McFly! Anything that adds value to the reports on this thread and helps us to get more enjoyment from fishing the Bristol reservoirs is always welcome. Very Happy

Fryfishing wrote:
Who needs a tequila blob when I have a Barbara Cartland:D

Why not have both? Twisted Evil Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: mc07fly
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagdon Friday from the boat.
Started with Di3 a tequila blob and a cormorant booby. Took three fish on that right up the top end.
Having seen a couple of reports that the bung had scored, set one up with two size 12 black buzzers either side of a tequila blob. Took three fish on the buzzer on the point in the shelter of the trees.
Had more fish drifting down to Bells on the Di 3.
Moved over to Rugmoor and had my lunch..
Deployed the bung picking up a couple more fish on the blob.

Set up a floater with straight line nymphs. Mojo on the point, three different diawls on the droppers. Did not change from this. Fish taking them regularly and confidently drifting from the bay out past Rugmoor point.

Could have had a mass of fish on the mini lures but nymph fishing is my main driver.

Excellent first trip. All my fish were fresh residents. Nothing over wintered. Took 8 for the table for just over 27lb.

Stay well folks and virus free. Shame those that are stripping the supermarkets. Rolling Eyes
Mark
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, lakefisher, Doombar, Noob, Bovver, Silver Invicta, mc07fly, JCP, blondie, BristolFlyer
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said and good to see you out on the water yesterday, Mark. Those fish didn't half pull! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are not on Facebook, here is the latest news from Bristol Water Fisheries issued on 22nd March in response to the Coronavirus situation ...

IMPORTANT UPDATE

To our valued customers

All boat fishing services at Chew Valley Lake are suspended from tonight until further notice due to coronavirus.

Woodford Lodge Tackle shop will be closed with immediate effect. Woodford telephone number will not be answered from 3pm today. Bank fishing services remain unaffected at this time.

Blagdon boat fishing services remain unaffected at this time. However, as per below instructions payment arrangements are altered to reduce disease transmission risks, as well the existing changes to check in arrangements.

All services remain subject to a daily review. We are monitoring national guidelines and will keep you posted. Our Facebook messenger and other social media and online services will be running at a reduced service, please bear with us.

IMPORTANT BOOKING CHANGES

All bookings must now be made in advance of coming to site, with payment in advance over the telephone. This is a change from a preference to a mandatory position.

Woodford Lodge telephone line remains open for taking bookings currently until 3pm today. After that bookings are to be made from 10.30am onwards each day on the Blagdon Lodge number 01761 462527.

Please take care to ensure social distancing and follow all national hygiene guidance.

Please take care everybody.

BW Lakeside

B.A.S.S.

Liked by: mc07fly
Allrounder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, with all the other fisheries falling like dominoes today I suppose this was inevitable. This covers everything including the Woodford, Salt 'n' Malt and picnic areas etc . Sad Sad

Bristol Water Fisheries

Coronavirus (Covid-19) update- ALL CUSTOMERS PLEASE TAKE NOTE.

Bank and Boat fishing suspended at all Bristol Water Fisheries.

Due to the ever increasing concerns surrounding the spread of the covid-19 virus we have sadly made the decision to cease all fishing activities at our waters in effect from 7:30pm today. Bank and boat fishing will cease until further notice.

We are aware that some customers have pre-paid for bookings and will endeavour to refund when possible. Please understand that the staff and fishery are under immense pressure at this moment in time. We will tackle refunds when possible. This will include considerations for season ticket holders.

Please also note that our picnic area sites found at Chew Valley lake will also be closed until further notice.

We thank you for your continued support during this challenging time. Please take care of yourself and follow government advice to help prevent the spread of this virus.

We hope to be able to offer fishing again in the not so distant future and will continue to monitor government guidelines daily.

BW Lakeside team

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see it happen. After the scenes of outdoor crowds across the country at the weekend I think they've done the right thing.

For those looking for an alternative indoor Fishing escape, I can recommend the Peaks Fly Fishing Podcast. Very relaxing to hear the sounds of the river. Give it a try...
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Al has won the challenge regarding the number of fishing trips. It must be about 8 - nil and I can't see either of us getting out for some considerable time. Just glad I didn't put money on it.😁😎😁

Stay safe folks.
Liked by: JCP, mc07fly, blondie
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this & I know golf is not what we're here for, but there maybe some relevant stuff amongst it. https://www.facebook.com/dialog/close_window/?app_id=966242223397117&connect=0#_=_
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
I think Al has won the challenge regarding the number of fishing trips. It must be about 8 - nil and I can't see either of us getting out for some considerable time. Just glad I didn't put money on it.😁😎

I was planning on a trip to Blagdon today before the announcement. Shock Living within 30 minutes of Chew and a season ticket has proven to be a dangerous combination! Laughing

We really are in uncharted waters and I have no idea when things will get back to how things were, or if they every will? In the meantime I'm wondering what they are going to do with the trout for stocking this season that are in the hatchery? Do they hold them back which means the cost of feeding them or do they carry on and stock them in the reservoir as planned to save the cost of feeding them even though none are being removed for the table by anglers?

Could be a bonanza when the lakes eventually open ... but at what long term cost? Confused

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, blondie
malerogue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish were stocked yesterday....quite a few loads went into Blagdon.
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few weeks of poor clarity, Ranger Barney has confirmed on FB that it is now 6 foot plus at Chew! Shock

That's 'rip yer dropper off' clarity! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Covid-19 update on the Bristol Water Fisheries website posted below for information ...

Bristol Water Fisheries

Coronavirus update 31.03.20 16:15pm

With the continued threat of Covid-19 our fishing offerings remain closed at Chew Valley, Blagdon, Litton and Barrow tanks.

Due to the uncertainty of months ahead we have decided that once reopened we will only be offering day permits for the remainder of season 2020. We are aware that some of our customers are season tickets holders at our waters and will be entitled to a refund for months where fishing cannot be redeemed. Our team will be contacting season ticket holders shortly to discuss options available.

Current season ticket holders should note that if opting for a refund now, they will be unable to renew later in 2020. Season ticket holders will be offered the following options:

1) 8/9’s of your season permit value refunded now, forfeiting your permit for the remainder of the season
Or
2) No refund at present with a refund for months unused when we get back up and running.

Customers who pre-paid for boat fishing that was not redeemed will also be contacted in coming days to discuss options.

Please note that our offices, picnic areas and bird hides remain closed until further notice. Staff are carrying out routine bank patrols.

We appreciate your continued understanding at this most challenging time. We will continue to monitor and follow government guidelines. Take care and remember to stay at home unless essential travel is required.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the lakes once things change. Our trout are hungry and if the start of the season was anything to go by then there should be some real leviathans to target once this is all over.

BW Lakeside team

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: ST rebates Reply with quote

Thanks for the alert, Allrounder.

John Harris called me this morning and, with the vision of my alter ego, Gandorf, I thought it wiser to take the 8/9ths instant rebate option! However I am still tying flies.... so positive thinking!

One point to note is that BWF are currently unable to process this immediate rebate using electronic banking and plan to send cheques out for the first round. Overall I thought this was another pretty customer oriented gesture and to be commended.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: