The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

General Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
springwell
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little set up for the money.

I've a couple of similar but slightly heavier combos I use.

I tend to remove the levelwinds on most of my multipliers and blank off the cage holes or fit a dummy bar.

Reasons? You get more distance, the leader knot won't get trapped and under heavy load levelwinds can jam.

I also polish the spindles, remove brakes and just use 20w 50w or similar motor oil to act as a brake.

Not sure if you are using braid, if not it will certainly help with setting the hook. But check the rod rings to make sure they are ok with braid.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Springwell, yes I use braid as a main line for 90% of my lure fishing.
Re removing the line guide, on the low profile baitcasters the line guide locks in place when free spool is engaged which makes a massive difference to casting.
I have also been know to do a few tweeks to my reels, the first and probably the best is ceramic bearings.
P

Link

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a revelation the ultra light kit has been, not so much the the rod and reel but how it works the lure.
The combination of clear water and small lures has been very interesting. The light jig head and the slow descent through the water then leaving it stationary on the bottom and watching the line for a take is great fun even if it has only been small perch to date.
I am trying to sort out some small light ned rigs lures ( I have heads from AGM) to give that a full workout. It has also given me a lot of ideas for future lure fishing trips not just with the ultra light kit.
As I mentioned in the YouTube video I am not convinced the ultra light rod is capable of setting the hook at range but it is perfect for close work at 10 to 15 yards or meters.
More YouTube vids to come .
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I posted my last lure fishing post in December and you know what I have hardly lure fished since then. The conditions and catch rates have been absolutely PANTS, if it is not the weather, water levels or even water visability it is the zero catch rate.
January 1st, I said to myself I would not buy any more lure kit until I had caught five fish (perch or pike) and guess what, I am saving a fortune.😀.
Joking aside I would have normally had a couple of goes at Farmoor for the Perch but that is rock hard unless you have electronics and a electric motor with spot lock. How much does that lot cost at least £5K Sad Also when the trout fishing is so good at Farmoor why would I spend time chasing the dream of a 5lb perch 🤔.

I have booked a boat at Pitsford for the start of the lure fishing, but leaving it to the 20th May as 16th is a Saturday and fully booked.
So it looks likeI have a lot to do with the lure rod in 2020 Very Happy I am also wondering if I should go chase the Bass in Italy and USA again this year. Cash and virus permitting.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some time to spare this afternoon and decided to take the Ultra light out to the canal at Tring to see if I could find any perch, so a minimum of kit was packed to travel light and I set off.
As far as Perch fishing goes it was a complete failure Sad BUT for some reason the pike wanted to play Very Happy

My guess is there was a small group of jacks between 3 and 7 pounds waiting to service a big momma and they were all hungry. I caught eight pike out of a stretch of canal that I have never even seen a pike let alone caught one.
I had no wire trace just seven pound Berkley Trilene fluorocarbon but the pike did not bite through it despite a couple of spirited fights and the lure a (3 inch curly tail and jighead) inside the mouth.

The experience has certainly confirmed that my budget ultra light set up will be capable of dealing with anything U.K perch can throw at it.

I will load some pictures later.
P[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Liked by: fossil-fish, Allrounder, lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
My guess is there was a small group of jacks between 3 and 7 pounds waiting to service a big momma and they were all hungry. ]

It's getting to that time of year, Peter! Laughing

Great post and pics! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not resist another trip to Tring for a couple of hours and to take the chest mount along this time.

Link

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something confirmed to me yesterday that I had long suspected.
Farmoor on No1 reservoir the water was gin clear and with polarized glasses it was possible to see the bottom for quite some way out. As I walked around the bank to find a spot to fish the first thing I noticed was two dead trout lying out in the margins that had obviously been badly returned and paid the ultimate price.
Then a little later I saw a massive pike which was a big 20lb plus fish maybe 30lb and it was completely stationery if not asleep on a small sandy area with trout swimming past it at regular intervals.
This pike was not hungry and was not interested in the trout moving past, why would it be when dinner in the form of the dead trout were there for the taking.

This to me answers one of the questions of why lure fishing for pike on a trout reservoir can be so difficult especially Farmoor where the pike do not bred naturally.

What do you think?
P
Liked by: BristolFlyer, Allrounder, lakefisher
Allrounder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:

This pike was not hungry and was not interested in the trout moving past, why would it be when dinner in the form of the dead trout were there for the taking.

This to me answers one of the questions of why lure fishing for pike on a trout reservoir can be so difficult especially Farmoor where the pike do not bred naturally.

What do you think?
P

I have seen dead trout on Chew which would suggest easy pickings and lazy pike but when the Lure Society have their day in Spring and during the first few days on the pike trails the lure boys have no problem catching large numbers of pike and not just small ones either. However Farmoor is a very different water and the smaller head of stocked pike may react differently. Smile

What I do find interesting is how other fish seem to sense when a pike is in a feeding mood or not. Or do they? Perhaps they simply don't recognise what a potential threat they are until its too late. Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello... from a safe distance! Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LAS did have a good day at Chew with the pike and the perch.
I guess it is like you said elsewhere Alan about trout refusing all sorts of natrual patterns but engulfing a bright lure.
The other day there was talk on the bank of No1 that a 20lb pike had been caught on a buzzer so that might put a hole in my argument.

I only occasionally see a fly blown trout corpse washed up at the side of Farmoor but you do see the bodies in the deeper margins. Mind you with the amount of scavenger birds at Farmoor nothing is left to go to waste.

P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: