The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

How long is your leader?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
All good stuff Very Happy it is always interesting where a post heads off too.

I am going to tie up a mega buzzer leader of 30 feet with the wool indicator to fish HEAVY buzzers/lures deep at Farmoor when the wind drops, as per Wylye's method.
Try something different from backdrifting.

I did this a few years ago, Peter. I hooked up to one of the buoys and used a leader about 28' long with the yarn indicator. There was a gentle breeze from behind which is part of the key to this. I used a bloodworm pattern, and given a photo by yourself of a load of bloodworms from a Farmoor trout I would say that that is probably the best route. A 3mm tungsten bead should be enough to get down.

You will not be able to cast this far, so just flop it out onto the water and let it drift away from you while you pay out line. Don't let too much slack develop. When a fish takes the indicator will just vanish, and the strike will need to on the heroic side if not downright violent because there will be quite a lot of line/leader to pick up to get into contact. Don't let the indicator get more than about 20 yards from you or you will miss every take, and as it is you'll probably only hit about 1:2.5. Most fish will be hooked in the front of the jaw.

Don't get complicated in your leader. Straight through in about 8.5lb is plenty good enough. I'd also put a size 8 buzzer a couple of feet up.

I've been meaning to try this again for some time, but I'll wait until the weather is a bit nicer.
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little to the post above from my own experiences.

I found that using a weighted flexi floss bloodworm pattern, in either Red or Magenta, on the point with a buzzer pattern between 2 and 3 feet above on a dropper gave best results.
Tied using wraps of fine lead or copper wire under the body of the fly.

Flexi Floss Bloodworm

As for leader length - Same as the deepest bit you are likely to fish that day. But "Ping" the actual depth where you are fishing with your sounder and set your indicator 6" to 1 foot less Wink

To help out on accurate set-up - either take a tape measure or permanently mark your rod in 1 foot increments before you go - Sharpie pen works for me. Wink (Accuracy does matter)

HTH ....... Tony Cool
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that bloodworm will be heavy enough to get down the thick end of 30'. The fly has to be heavy with a capital H and that is why I said that casting it on a very long leader is just not feasible. It is easy to see when the tungsten bloodworm reaches its full depth because the yarn indicator suddenly stands upright.
tenet
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if you could fish some Brandlings on a drop shot rig Embarassed Embarassed

Only joking guys Smile
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is my leader?

About 5'6", but a bit more when she wears heels Smile
Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
How long is my leader?

About 5'6", but a bit more when she wears heels Smile

Very good Very Happy

I was hoping to head up to Farmoor tomorrow but it looks like the boats will be cancelled again.
The long leader and buzzers should work on a calm day ( compared to the current weather). I have tied up a heavily leaded fly to sink the whole leader and if that does not work there is always a split shot option..
P
wylye
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

You need a bit of breeze so that the indicator will drift slowly away from you, but the fly won't be prevented from reaching its terminal depth by the subsurface currents. Certainly too windy at present, but according to Windguru it might(!) moderate by about the middle of next week.

I first tried this method at Chew several years ago during a very hot period. I remembered a colleague going out on Farmoor with one of the then rangers and an echo sounder. They found a layer of fish 12'down which must have been the dividing line between the warmer surface water and cool water at depth, ie the Thermocline which seems to be absent at Farmoor these days. It might pay us to ask Thames Water for an explanation for that.

Anyway, having remembered that little nugget and as there had been absolutely zilch all morning at Chew I measured out a leader of just over 12' and put a heavy buzzer on the point and a lighter one a couple of feet up. Indicator at the junction of line & leader.

Without much confidence I lobbed this lot out and after about a minute the indicator stood upright and a minute later it disappeared. I was so surprised I just sat and wondered where it had gone before realising way too late that a fish had been the reason. Now I knew it could work I proceeded to catch four trout that afternoon when nothing much else seemed to work.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could use something clad in lead or tungsten so it sinks like a stone and then tie a length of line to the bend with a more imitative pattern tied on and pulled down to the depth. Food for thought but looking at the weather forecast I will not get to try some of these ideas for a awhile.
(Edit)
I re read the above and Hannigfield popped into my mind, as McFly could no doubt remember as well. There was a method of fishing by the cages for monster trout by using a VERY heavy beaded fly and a leader the depth of the water then the flies were jigged over the side of the boat.( I have all those jighead hooks for soft plastics in my lure gear🤔)

As I mentioned earlier I do fish short leaders and buzzers under an indicator from the bank so the point fly trips along the top of the weed. There is another Farmoor method where the point fly is sacraficial and becomes stuck in the weed so the droppers do the damage under a massive bung that will not be pulled under by drift.
P
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Hanningfield monsters Reply with quote

Sorry, Fryfishing, I missed your earlier post.

I never tried the jig rigs. My "go to" dam basin method was a #9wt Aquasink shooting head with a slightly buoyant fly (usually a white Appetiser variant or a fluoro pink variant) plus a stop watch perched on my hi-tech (at the time!) aluminium thwart board boat seat.

Timing the drop was important but now that I have learned to count properly I only use the stop watch as a family joke for Xmas dinner (preparation.... not eating). During that late Hanningfield era I was doing less fishing and I used to prepare and run Go-Karts at a couple of Essex tracks with my two teenage sons as drivers so the stop watch became an infamous way of life and I still haven't lived it down.

During the recent hot summers at Blagdon I returned to memory lane by using the same method and the same watch in the dam basin. It is possible to anchor in fifteen to twenty feet outside the "restricted area" and find fish at distinct depths out into the lake but my attention span has now also become restricted and I can't take more than an hour or two of "count downs".

Happy Days.
McFly
Liked by: Fryfishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> General Fly All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: