The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Farmoor 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that apparently there is one boat on F1, which according to the ranger is fully booked and it is only temporary.
As you enter the complex there is now a sign advertising paddle board lessons which will no doubt be on No1. There is also no advances on allowing float tubes, kayaks or even the boats permanently back on there..

Yesterday when I came back to the dock there was a lot of grown men playing with their model yachts, they had remote controls/consoles Very Happy
It's not just fishermen/women that have all the toys.

Last edited by Fryfishing on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: BristolFlyer, Allrounder
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your year has got off to a bang!

I guess fisheries need to diversify and I would rather share the water with a few twitchers and SUPs than lose it altogether.

I see Wimbleball allows kayaks so will hopefully find time for a trip in the early summer before the sea fishing hots up.
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to get across to Farmoor arriving about 11.30. Water quality good and levels up a bit and the breeze from the south. Set up a di7 with a 8ft leader with a black and green booby on the point and a blue booby on the dropper about 4ft away. 1st drift from SE corner with the wind in my face ( Rolling Eyes) and drifted right thru to the jetty boating 2 fish and dropping a couple plus a few pulls that didn't come to anything. Repeated the drift, again taking fish along with pulls and knocks and just before the jetty had a good fish on briefly before all went slack - i suspect a crocodile as the leader was neatly bitten through just above the dropper.

Tied up a new leader and flies with some difficulty as I had left my readers at home and continued the quest. Wind was a tad brisk at times but that didn't stop the fish hitting the lures on a regular basis notwithstanding the fairly brisk pace of the boat at times. Called it a day at 3.45 taking 4 fish to 3lb and returning 8. By any measure a good session Cool . All fish in good nick with white bellies and a good silver sheen.

Interestingly a lot of fish came to the blue booby dropper (my only one) which was replaced by a pink Barbara Cartland which was studiously ignored. Will certainly tie up some Blues for my next trip.

Get out there if you can. - Cheers Doug

EDIT: The fish had very little in their stomachs, perhaps the grebes,Cormorants and other FEB's have eaten all the fry Sad
Liked by: Fryfishing, Allrounder
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fits with most of my experience, I must tie up a blue boobie and give it a try ( if I can find any blue materials to use).
The fish I kept were all empty and talking to others their fish seem to be empty as well.
Maybe they just aren't feeding yet, but I agree the cormorants and grebes will have taken their toll, when Alan and I fished it was noticeably how many less cormorants were on the water..

I may go again on Thursday if they let the boats out ( high gusting winds due next week).

P
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
... and just before the jetty had a good fish on briefly before all went slack - i suspect a crocodile as the leader was neatly bitten through just above the dropper. (

I think Ian (bovver) had a similar experience with me when we were fishing by one of the 'Star Wars Walkers' further out in the reservoir. Again the line was cleanly nipped off ABOVE the dropper. I wonder if they are taking the point fly first then following through and taking the dropper a second later or if they are just taking the dropper? Not that it matters as it means a completely new leader and flies either way Rolling Eyes Sad

Apart from that it looks like you had a really good session, Doug! My proud boast is that I have never caught less than 5 fish at Farmoor but what I don't mention is that I have yet to break the double figure barrier which everyone else seems able to do with ease! Sad Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: tenet
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue booby goes back a long way to when Nick Price had the tackle shop in Datchet and had the lease on QM Reservoir.
So, we're looking at late '80's. I was working in Guildford at the time and could easily go through Datchet on my way back up to the M4. However, going into Nick's emporium with a credit card near to hand was asking for trouble, so I'd leave mine in the car and just take the amount of cash I was prepared to spend.

One day I found a packet of electric blue marabou which according to Nick was taking QM apart, so with Farmoor in mind I bought some. worked a treat and i still have some of that pack left so an electric blue booby is not far away!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you can post a picture of the blue boobie??

Mean while here are the pictures I took on Thursday, it went from thick fog to a lovely sunny day.

[img][/img]
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news yesterday - Farmoor Fly Fishing have offered me membership of their club. Looks like I will be fishing Darlow Lake as a small fishery, F2 as a medium sized fishery and Chew as a large fishery this coming season Cool

http://www.farmoorflyfishingclub.net
Liked by: Fryfishing, BristolFlyer, Allrounder
BristolFlyer
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Some good news yesterday - Farmoor Fly Fishing have offered me membership of their club. Looks like I will be fishing Darlow Lake as a small fishery, F2 as a medium sized fishery and Chew as a large fishery this coming season Cool

Your golf game is going to suffer Doug Smile
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
tenet wrote:

Your golf game is going to suffer Doug Smile

Ha ha - hips, knees and ankles precluding golf but my ambition this year is to make more fishing trips than Al Smile Smile
Allrounder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Ha ha - hips, knees and ankles precluding golf but my ambition this year is to make more fishing trips than Al Smile Smile

Challenge accepted Doug! Hopefully some news soon on the BW thread. Wink

Glad to hear you have been accepted as a member of Farmoor Fly Fishing . Sounds like you have some nice fishing lined up for this season. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last there seems to be a gap in the weather next week, no lashing rain and 30mph winds so I have booked a boat on Tuesday 3rd March.
PLUS fingers crossed It will be on No1.
Very Happy
Allrounder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fishing the Season Ticket Holders day on Chew on Tuesday so hopefully we'll both have a good day. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight Lines Alan.

I am getting a lot of request for Farmoor trout from Friends and neighbours as they get a 5* review on taste.

P
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
Tight Lines Alan.

I am getting a lot of request for Farmoor trout from Friends and neighbours as they get a 5* review on taste.

P

They certainly do Peter - my pals usually donate a bottle of red per fish Smile Cool Was given a smoker for Christmas and have just managed to get some Beech and Alder chippings so need a fish to smoke. Will possibly venture forth this coming week but will cherry pick the day as there is usually a boat available at short notice.
Liked by: Allrounder, JCP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: