The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Sorry, it wont happen again

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Sorry, it wont happen again Reply with quote

After buying some squirmy type sea urchins in a Chines shop in Italy, I came up with the concoction below ( I won't call it a fly)

If the trout do not like them I am sure perch maybe interested on a dropshot.

Sorry it won't happen again.
Sad
Liked by: lakefisher, fossil-fish
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can chuck it with a fly rod - It's a fly Laughing

You should see some of my piking "budgies" Embarassed - but there're still flys Wink

Tony ....... Cool
Liked by: fossil-fish
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. The squirmy is just another fly pattern. Nothing more, nothing less. The people who get really precious about these things probably don't have enough real problems to worry about.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Liked by: lakefisher
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout eat lots of bloodworms and that is a bloodworm imitation. I think it was you, Peter, who posted up a photo of the stomach contents of a Farmoor trout a couple of years ago. Bloodworm 2-3" long if I recall. Match the hatch.
Liked by: fossil-fish, lakefisher
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
Agree. The squirmy is just another fly pattern. Nothing more, nothing less. The people who get really precious about these things probably don't have enough real problems to worry about.

I tend to agree with fossil-fish having had many a "chat" with people on the other forum and have been struck by their unwillingness to accept methods that do not chime with their pre-conceived notions. I have tried to understand why this should be so, and have come to the conclusion - probably wrongly - that it is due to British anglers being unwilling to travel to foreign parts for their fishing. I'll give a couple of examples:-

1. Last summer my wife and I went on a 7 week cruise from Vancouver back to Southampton. Brilliant fun, but I accepted right from the off that fishing would not be a part of this holiday. The point of this is that this was the first holiday since I was a child that I went without ANY fishing gear. Every other holiday I've ever taken, whether in the UK, Europe or Canada I've always taken fishing gear and found somewhere to fish.

2. I am half-Austrian. My first fish was caught in Austria aged 6. For many years my personal best brown trout was caught in Austria and my personal best grayling is still an Austrian fish despite having caught thousands since. It weighed 3-12. Having fished in Austria every single holiday there from 6 yrs upwards I have never yet encountered another British angler unless they went with me. I also know of two or three that have gone to venues recommended by me. You can breakfast in England, lunch in Austria and fish in the late afternoon. I have a friend who has a small hotel, he fishes and has control of about 12km of river. You will see Swiss, Italian, French and German anglers in the hotel, but no Brits. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that many British anglers are afraid to travel, particularly to places where English is not the primary language, and therefore are not exposed to methods, tactics and flies that are new to them.

It seems to me on occasion that anglers here would rather not catch fish than try something they are not familiar with. They will sooner stick to their method even when it is demonstrably wrong for the conditions, the water, or the species.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think there is a problem with a single method, single minded attitude. Whether it be fly fishing, or even carp fishing, people get the idea that there is only one way of doing things and everything else is somehow wrong or less worthy. The more specific their approach becomes the less tolerant they seem to be of others. All other anglers become addressed as noddies, stocky bashers or other such derogatory terms.

I suppose like others I have never been a single discipline angler and have now reached a ripe old age having experienced lots of angling methods, caught lots of different fish and fished in various parts of the world. Totally agree with Wylie that travel broadens the mind but also in angling so does being a bit more of an all rounder.

Of course a persons own personality also helps. I have absolutely no interest in the opinions of anyone on what you describe as the 'other forum', in fact I cannot imagine anything I would consider less before setting up for a days fishing. When I do have the odd glance at that place I imagine the type of person who shouts at the telly. Thankfully I don't need to fish with them.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the positive comments and thought.
I have tied a few flies using this material to try, if any of them work I will tie more for use.

The rubbery/latex stuff from these urchins is easier to use than the squirmy worm stuff and using dubbed tread it stays in place when tying. I have tied a couple of boobies and a couple of bead heads.
If they catch fish I may call them my Chernobyl Nymph Confused
So far I have invested 3€ for 3 different colours and re used hooks, so little cost to date (a lot more to buy on ebay).
My gut feeling is it is on a dropshot that they will pay dividends.

Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those Farmoor trout are going to love those, Peter! Cool

The booby is not a million miles from the one I caught on last time we fished, except mine was simpy 1"of pink zonker tied to the hook with booby eyes but no fritz. Normally the zonker would wrap around the hook for a pastime if I had to cast it but it wasn't a problem while back drifting Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: Fryfishing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Tying -> Fly Tying Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: