The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on YouTube, Gareth Jones selling the 6th Sense lines BUT some very good information in the video.
I think I probably need to replace my intermediet line as its a tad clapped out like me.

Link

lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a new inter - try here https://www.fishskb.co.uk/product-category/fly-lines/ - better and cheaper Wink ...... Tony Cool
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a great fan of SKB lines especially their PP Ultra max floater and their range of PP sinkers. Another line worth looking at is the Barrio range. Both companies offer competitively priced products Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
Probably not the place to ask this question, but where did you all stand on stretch versus none stretch fly lines?
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of the lines i have are non-stretch. The DI7 and DI3 and the DI5 will be when it arrives later this week. There is also an Airflo SuperDri floater. I like them all and the floating line gets most use on stillwaters. On rivers I don't think it matter much at all as most of my fishing is done visually where takes are seen rather than felt.

With the non-stretch lines on the reservoirs I can feel every little touch and with practice it is possible to tell if it was a fish or weeds. For instance, I felt a "take" from a mussel on Friday 40 yards or more behind the boat. Didn't fight very hard though.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer floating lines with a modicum of stretch - especially relevant when fishing dry (damp) flies on lighter irons when you get those smash takes. I can see why non stretch might be useful for sunk line work and airflo seem to be the go-to lines for the comp boys but for floaters i would only use them to string my runner beans. Smile
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are mistaken re the Airflo floaters these days, Tenet. The SuperDri I have used for the last four or five years is an excellent line with a lot less coiling straight off the reel than many other lines. I've just pulled 5 yards off the reel holding the Airflo where it has been since April and no coils at all. I could just fish with it straight off. My Rio 3' Midgetip on the other hand needed stretching before it would be fishable. My other #5 floaters had a small amount of coiling.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:
You are mistaken re the Airflo floaters these days, Tenet. The SuperDri I have used for the last four or five years is an excellent line with a lot less coiling straight off the reel than many other lines. I've just pulled 5 yards off the reel holding the Airflo where it has been since April and no coils at all. I could just fish with it straight off. My Rio 3' Midgetip on the other hand needed stretching before it would be fishable. My other #5 floaters had a small amount of coiling.

Thanks Wylye - pleased to hear that although I will probably stick with SKB and Barrio. Must admit it was some years ago I used an Airflo floater and it was worse than bad.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wylye wrote:

Like Doug I've been disappointed by Airflo's floating lines in the past so thanks for answering the question before I asked it, Wylye! If they are anywhere near as resilient as their subsurface lines then they will be on to a winner. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many others, yourselves included, I was very disappointed in Airflo's floating lines for quite a few years, but when they brought out the SuperDri I decided to give it a go - just in case. I was not disappointed in this one, and by all accounts the newer SuperFlo is better still.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I find the non stretch sinking lines very good ( backdrifting) my cortland floater is obviously a stretch line but also works a treat. As Doug said it gives some leeway when light nymph or dry fly fishing.
Do you remember John Goddard and his length of power gum to stop snap offs?

I gave my old intermediate a good stretch and cleaned it of with washing up liquid (to help it sink) I will see how it performs before purchasing a new line.
Thanks
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Peter, I remember the power gum stuff and what a waste of time that was. There was 6" of floppy stuff between line and leader which didn't do much for the cast and when you got a take you couldn't feel it because of the stretch in the gum. I abandoned it very rapidly.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly and totally out with this thread there is discussion on the "fishing large reservoir" facebook forum regarding the Airflo superflo fly line. Mixed reviews with some not liking the no stretch, others talking about excessive coiling in cold weather and others just loving it. I guess it's a question of "whether you like it or whether you hate it your probably right" Razz
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting day today, it was a day to try different approaches with the DI7.
The morning was very quiet in both catch rate and wind, so I started on a slow drifting boat with no drogue casting in front of the boat, counting it down and then a mix of retrieves back to the boat with a lot of hanging. The wind started to pick up at around 12 so I switched to backdrifting along the west bank this produced some knocks and pulls and a fish on then off.
Then a move to the south bank and some more back drifting, this produced fish early on in the drift . I tied up to a buoy about 20 yards out then shortened the leader down to around 3ft then started casting as far as I could and a slow figure of 8 back. This got me a lot of knocks and takes and fish on but I could not get them to the net ( barbless ?)
Around 3.15 the wind started to increase and it bought some rain in with it so I drifted back towards the dock and called it a day.

Some other stuff.

I watched a cormorant struggling with a fish which it could not swallow so it abandoned it and flew away, I could see the fish struggling/dying in the water so headed over to see what it was. It was a pristine perch around a pound and a half, it was on not going to make it Sad

I have been out on the field practice casting the DI7 and it paid dividends, I could cast around 20 yards consistently sitting in the boat and in the field I managed 30 yards occasionally.

Next trip may be from the bank depending on the weather.

P

Last edited by Fryfishing on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fish in the net and what a couple of bobbies on a DI7 looks like on the fish finder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: