The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have broken the four blanks.
Today I took a boat on No2, Mark said the fish were up in the water and a floating line or midge tip would work with a blob or bobbie on the point, so washing line tactics.
The Orvis clearwater 10 ft 5# was my rod combo of choice and it is turning into my first choice boat rod for drys and nymphs. I was short casting with a slow or pull retrieve which seemed the best way I found to connect with the fish.
The flies that caught me fish were a red rib D.B, cruncher, cormorant and a pink boobie ( sorry about that)

The new engines on the boats work well and there seems to be a new level of customer service at the boat dock, so all good there.
As Wylye said in an earlier post " floating lines, nymphs and dries in November" .
Happy days
Very Happy
Liked by: tenet, JCP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been communicating with a fellow lure angler who was fishing at Farmoor for perch when I was there on friday.
He tells me that they had 14 trout to the boat( and one small perch) all taken from hard on the bottom, while I was catching sub surface on washing line tactics Question
The two fish I dispatched were both empty so I guess they were not feed hard on the day.
I was going to go today but the boats were cancelled due to strong gusting winds.
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat on 2 today with good water clarity and a nice SW breeze. Zig Zagged from the west shore to the East drifting into the causway without a touch to our well presented flies on fast glass for Pino and slow glass for me. Moved to the south end and finally had a bit of action to db's fished straight. Bleedy cold at times and tough going ending with a smallish stockie and a reasonable 21/2 - 3lb bullet. Pino had just one fish, again small stockie. All the fish were virtually empty on spooning with just a couple of tiny nymphs and small amounts of Daphnia.
Lots of boats out (9 or 10) with a number lure fishers and a number facing the wrong way. I guess if we had trawled the bottom we may have improved our total but we called it best at 4 and were the second to last in which may or may not speak volumes. That's probably my last boat trip this year but will give Darlow another go next week courtesy of Pino. He had 7 there on Sunday to 4lb on nymphs and floating line.

Exciting journey there and back with a suicidal roe deer nearly meeting his maker and both my headlight bulbs failing on the way home. Thankfully the fog lights saved the day. Of to Halfrauds in the morning Sad

Cheers - Doug
Liked by: Allrounder, Fryfishing
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Doug , and pleased to hear you had a couple. Very Happy

What time did they let you out? I've heard they have moved to the later time of 9.30am.

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Al - we got there about 9.45 and were the last of the 9 boats afloat. Suggest you give the rangers a call but at least they are only charging half day rates viz £59 for 2 old dodgers on a 4 fish ticket. Smile
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are changing times till next year. Last week I was loading the boat at 9am and others had already left the dock.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Yesterday - 06:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a cold day at Farmoor (9).
Re boats, there is a sign on the rangers door saying boats out from 9.30 but I am guessing if is a quiet day they will go out earlier, as I was the last boat of the dock at 10.

The fish have gone deep, I took the fishfinder and it was showing fish from 5 meters deep down to the bottom. So I decided to try back drifting despite low winds .
I found it hard going but I saw a couple of other boats catching so I kept tweeking my presentation and flies.
Two trout made it to the landing net but others knocked but did not come in Sad

My next visit may be with the lure rod as I found a few spots that looked promising for a perch.
P
Liked by: tenet
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: