The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave (bristolflyer) and I have shared a boat on Chew today on what we call our annual 'Lump Hunt', which as the name suggests is our attempt to target the larger fish that can turn up during the Autumn. This usually involves fishing fry patterns on sinking lines but we are not adverse to fishing nymphs on floaters if that's what the fish want. Smile

To be honest the conditions today were as near perfect as you could reasonably expect in October with a light but variable wind and good clarity at 5 feet so we decided to spend the first couple of hours exploring the jetty area with sinking lines for Perch. Sadly we didn't have any luck although Dave did managed a trout on a floating line before we decided to try Villice.

I was hoping we might bump into a decent Brownie in Villice but nothing happened so we decided to try a few drifts along the Sailing Club into Walley next. This proved more interesting when after hooking - and losing - what I suspect was a Rainbow on a Snake Dave noticed 7 Cormorants swimming and occasionally diving around 30 yards from the shore further down. As we approached this area I had what turned out to be a Pike of around 7lb which slipped the hook just as I was getting ready to land it. Further interest came from a Perch which pulled my rod tip down into the water on the take but only left me with a couple of scales on the hook as evidence and finally two sharp knocks which left me with a leader minus both baitfish patterns. Inspection of the shredded point and dropper fluoro suggested it could only have been a pike.

After that things went quiet so we decided it was time to catch something so we decided to have a couple of drifts behind the Island where we had two each on lures and buzzers on floating lines before we decided to try for the big stuff again.

After a brief stop off at the Jetties with no luck we decided to try Villice again drifting 40 yards from the shore. I just had that feeling that given the conditions a decent Brownie might be on the cards so I persevered with the fry patterns and sinking lines while Dave tried his luck in the upper layers casting towards the bank . That proved to be the right approach and after Dave slipped his net under his 3rd fish in 20 minutes the penny finally dropped and I too adopted a floating line approach. Rolling Eyes

However Dave's fish were falling to a bead head Damsel pattern that I couldn't match, and it wasn't until he kindly gave me a similar fly that I managed to pick up a few more fish myself. We finished up with 14 to the boat (one less than Doug! Laughing ) with Dave netting 10 of them and although we never had anything exceptional, at least one of Dave's fish was 4lb+ and so qualified as a genuine 'Lump' . Very Happy

Many thanks to Dave for sharing a thoroughly enjoyable day. I'm looking forward to next time already! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, arkle, tenet, BristolFlyer, Fryfishing, blondie
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent and entertaining day afloat with Alan. We really gave ourselves every chance of catching a big fish, and every pull was electric. As Alan says the conditions were about as good as you could ask for late season and the light winds meant we could fish sinking lines effectively. Losing a couple of flies to snags on the bottom proved that!

That probably brings my season to an end and what a good one it has been. Plenty of boat and bank anglers out yesterday, the BW staff were super friendly and efficient, and I’m really hopeful about the future of our fishing. I’m looking forward to opening day and the next lump hunt already.
Liked by: arkle, blondie
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - Are you not going to freeze your cobs off at Farmoor with Al for some winter back drifting?

Thanks for the reports - we all got out in time as fishing is cancelled on Friday due to high winds,
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Dave - Are you not going to freeze your cobs off at Farmoor with Al for some winter back drifting?

Good point - hopefully I will manage a bonus trip or two to freeze the nads off. Very Happy It sounds like farmoor has had a less than stellar year but hopefully that will change when temps drop.
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done alan, a better boat partner made the diffrence ha
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
tenet wrote:

Good point - hopefully I will manage a bonus trip or two to freeze the nads off. Very Happy It sounds like farmoor has had a less than stellar year but hopefully that will change when temps drop.

I am led to believe some circa 4000 fish have gone into f2 these past few weeks. Ranger said things are now picking up - finally🤗
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cornish stalker wrote:
Well done alan, a better boat partner made the diffrence ha

Absolutely ... he was certainly a better boat partner than the one you were lumbered with on Saturday. Embarassed He was the one on the engine and he certainly put us over fish! Laughing

Hopefully Farmoor will be back to its best this winter although I do wonder if the larger overwintered fish are OK after the difficulties in the summer. Neutral

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. With the bright sun and chilly northerly today, I thought it might be a good day to try my hand with my new fast sinker and boobies. Arrived about 2pm.

I arrived at the tanks and set up with a 6 foot leader with a black mini booby with green eyes. The sun was bright but on the roadside bank of 3, the northerly, though light was chilly. Water clarity was excellent. Had a good time playing with the sinking line and different retrieves and after about an hour I had a good solid tug and landed a fish of about 2 pounds. This guy took on a very. very slow retrieve, so I stuck with that. After not much doing for a while longer I upped sticks to just round stocky corner. I was fishing sat down, dangling my legs off the edge, when I saw a very large trout swimming about a foot off the bank. I watched him for a few seconds before he saw my fly line, spooked and sent some huge waves shooting out across the lake. There really are some whackers in the tanks, and to see one in such shallow water was a real treat.

Had a look at 2 roadside as I was getting cold with the wind in my face, but the clarity was poor, and surprisingly there was still a big weed bank just off the sill all the way along that made fishing tricky. I walked along to 1, but the clarity here was really poor, and the weed was nearly as bad, so I turned tail and headed back to 3 (I was warmer after a walk if nothing else Very Happy )

Weirdly while I'd been on my travels the wind had gone 180 degrees and the pipe was now nice and sheltered. The sun was starting to wane and a few fish were moving. I managed to sneak out another fish crawling the booby along the edge of the ramp the pipe is on. After I'd dispatched the fish I went to unhook it, and was surprised to see that the fly had been taken about 6 inches down! I'd heard about this with boobies, but didn't think it would happen when I was actually retrieving the fly.

I hadn't really expected it to be as cold as it was, and wasn't wrapped up properly so I decided to go home. As I did, i noticed a hatch of tiny white flies and a little rise started. The trout were wallowing in the surface taking them. I was too cold to take advantage but it was great to see.

Given how bright and breezy it was, there was a decent amount of activity, and I can imagine that with good conditions tank 3 would probably be fishing really well. I was the only angler on any of the tanks today.

Thanks for the advice on sinking likes. I feel it's another method in the armoury now.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited by Thomas Tom-Thomas on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tom, and thanks for the info on the weed and clarity situation on the Tanks.

This information is really helpful for anyone thinking of venturing out. 😎

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks - Another early session on tank 3 this morning.

Started on the floater with a damsel on point and DB on a dropper. Missed a couple of absolutely clanging takes first thing (With hindsight these were tugs on the nymph, and I should have changed out the lure for another nymph and slowed everything down), before the bites dried up and surface activity died away. At this point I was kicking myself for missing all the takes I was ever going to get.

In Return of the Jedi, Yoda says to Luke "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" he seems to be correct as I quickly changed onto the new sinker and a black and green booby. In the next 2 hours I had 3 fish. No real pattern to the takes, 1 from the flow from the pipe. One from close in on a fast strip; and one from way out and down deep crawling the line back slower than a slow thing

On the plus side they were all excellent fish, all about 2lb and silvery with big sharp bloomed up tails. Tasted good too.

Finished at 10 and passed the mousers who told me that although it was a bit slow today (seemed fine to me!) Friday had been one of their best days ever with "Fish going beserk everywhere". It was just me and them on tank 3. Water clarity still good, but quite a bit of weed around still for the time of year. Levels are high, about 9 or 10 inches from the base of the retaining wall.

Last few weeks of the season now...

Cheers

Tom
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder, codfather
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten fish from the Tanks in November is some going, Tom. Top angling! Cool
You mentioned crawling a booby along deep but also that there was still a bit of weed about. Confused

I assume by that there some weed free areas? Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan I think He mean't He finished at 10am not 10 fish Smile
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I should have guessed that10 fish from the Tanks in November would have been a helluva session! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, finished at 10am. Not 10 fish, was pleased with 3 Very Happy

The weed is definitely around but seems quite patchy. Lots either side of the end of the pipe, hardly any out in the deep, but some closer in.

It was the green streamer type weed, towards the end of probably every other retreive I could feel the resistance increase then release and the booby would come back covered in weed. Most of the retrieve was unaffected though. I wouldn't have classed it as a problem.

Hope that clears it up.

Tommy Ten Fish Cool
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (blondie) and I arranged to fish the Tanks yesterday which for both of us would be the first time this year. After sorting out our tickets we decided to have a look at No.3 first but changed our minds when we saw the high water level and felt the brisk Northerly wind. Instead we crossed the road to try No.2 where we discovered a nice left to right ripple on the roadside bank so we decided to give it a go.

Given the conditions I started with a floating line fishing a bead head taddy on the point with a DB on the dropper which seemed the most sensible approach but I was still surprised when I got a wrenching take on the third cast and after a spirited scrap landed a 2-10 Rainbow in the peak of condition. A nice fish for the Tanks! Shortly after I had another in similar circumstances before Steve lost a nice fish at the net and then landed one to open his account too.

On our way to our spot we passed a couple of Mousers (not those made famous by Noob) who warned us that if we caught we would have company (in a friendly way) and when I slipped my net under my third they were true to their word, setting up about 50 yards to my left allowing a local called 'Ken' who was fishing a floating line to slip in next door to me. After he arrived I never had a pull for the next 2 hours or more but he did, netting around 8 fish and losing half a dozen more on a 'small black beadhead lure' over the same period! One of the Mousers also picked up 3 fish much to his delight while his mate blanked and I must admit their hilarious banter almost made up for my lack of pulls. Laughing

By 2.30pm they had had enough and went home so I quickly moved into Ken's spot where I had my 4th and best fish on a Black Cats Whisker which almost made the 3lb mark but not quite at 2-15. Steve continued to pick fish up steadily but despite ringing the changes I never had another pull on the floating line . Eventually the small voice whispering 'to the Dark Side you must go' could no longer be ignored so I changed to a fast glass line and my two 'go to' two boobies at this time of year - black and white.

I didn't have to wait long for my first pull which resulted in a lost fish but after that the pulls came steadily and by the time we decided to pack in I had released another 4 with only one of them below 2lb. I found best retrieve was small one inch pulls with the black doing better early on and the white coming into its own as the sun dropped over the horizon. Some takes were no nonsense pulls but others were the more 'cat and mouse' taps and nibbles that I love where you have to entice them to take it properly. Very Happy

So what more can I say? I had a cracking days sport for only £15 (it says £14 on the website but £15 in the booth) for a 6 fish limit on a beautiful Autumns day in great company. What more can you ask for? Cool

A few pics from the day ...

Alan

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, Fryfishing, tenet, lakefisher, blondie, Thomas Tom-Thomas, Noob, JCP, Bovver
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: