The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.slvblank.no

My YouTube adventure

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: My YouTube adventure Reply with quote

As you have no doubt spotted I have been messing about recording video and posting it on YouTube.

It was something I started just to see if and what I could do, then learn from doing it which I have certainly achieved.
A friend who also purchased an “action camera” has given up with it as he started to worry more about video footage than catching fish. Then when he caught a good fish he worried that he had some quality footage to upload.
Fortunately I have not fallen into this trap, so I switch on the camera when out fishing, check it now and then to see if it is still running. Then the fun part for me is editing the footage to upload.

My YouTube channel currently has around 120 subscribers and is approaching 50 thousand views in total, which I am sort of pleased with.
YouTube does not pay until you have a thousand subscribers and over 10 thousand views a month, so I am a long way off earning money from it.

I find it is good fun to do and is also a nice way of recording a fishing trip which can be shared and returned to at a later date. My first efforts tended to be home based as I had not bought the action camera to take out fishing and some of those earlier efforts have proved to be the most successful.
My outlay has been low. I am currently using cheap action cameras plus my small DSLR then there was the cost of the video editing software (£60).

Please let me know if you have any experience or comments on the whole YouTube thing.
Cheers
P
drsixty7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, what’s the name of your channel, I’ll take a look?
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drisixty7
Attached is the last video, but there is a mix of fishing on there.
Cheers
p

Link

drsixty7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You now have a new subscriber!
Liked by: Fryfishing
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My YouTube adventure Reply with quote

I don't do the YouTube thing (yet) but I have been using an action camera for a few seasons now and I have to say it has added an extra dimension and more enjoyment to my fishing. My action camera cost my wife less than £50 (an Xmas present) and I bought a pack of various mounts and accessories off Amazon for £10 which included chest, head and wrist mounts etc although I have found the chest mount the most useful. The head mount makes you look like a Dalek! Laughing

I had a look at 'proper' video editing software but settled on the basic Microsoft 'Movie Maker' which will do for now. It used to be bundled with Windows but it can still be downloaded for free. It is very basic so even a simpleton like me can use it. Laughing

Fryfishing wrote:

A friend who also purchased an “action camera” has given up with it as he started to worry more about video footage than catching fish. Then when he caught a good fish he worried that he had some quality footage to upload.

That is indeed an easy trap to fall into and I have lost fish in the early stages of the fight due to fiddling with the controls to get my action camera started. Embarassed However once the little red light starts flashing I forget about it.

Fryfishing wrote:

I find it is good fun to do and is also a nice way of recording a fishing trip which can be shared and returned to at a later date.

That is my experience too. These days it is not a calamity if I lose a fish (a calamity would be if I couldn't go fishing again) and I now get as much enjoyment from looking back at edited footage of sessions shared with good mates as I do from the sessions themselves.

You can also capture some great moments that may not have been apparent at the time. My favourite is a 10-4 pike on Chew that rewarded me with a tail walk but it wasn't until later when I edited and slowed the footage down that I realised it did a somersault at the end before re-entering the water! Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher, Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with movie maker on Windows but as you say Alan when Windows 10 updated it disappeared and did not return until after I bought the Power Director software.
I am currently using two Eken action cams which I have modified by adding an external mike.
My biggest disappointment was not getting the 4lb (ish) Italian Black Bass on film, but the memory of it will linger on in my mind.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Non Fishing Stuff -> CFF Breweries - The Turtle's Head All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: