The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.completefisher.com/ad_rates.html

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent an hour or so reviewing the Farmoor posts going back to 2015. On the whole the fishing was good on F2 throughout the years until 2018 when we seemed to fall off a cliff edge and into an abyss for 2019. I wrote about fish coming to dry flies in July and August during 2015 - 2017 notwithstanding water temps in the high teens and F1 closed. So Wylye have you any idea why things have changed. I suspect the stocking numbers have been reduced and certainly this year not a fish was put into the reservoir from February to June - due to water temps we have only just seen a stocking of c3000 fish divided between F1 and F2.

I was given the understanding that the rangers do not take water temps but this is done by TW technicians on a weekly (?) basis.
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I have been puzzled by the temperature thing. Thames Water will take temp. readings throughout the water column and obviously the rangers will have access to that data so no surprises there. What gets me is why it takes so long to cool down now. We've had hot spells of weather in the past and the water has quickly cooled down afterwards, but certainly in 2018 and again this year the water temperature has remained high for much longer. I wonder if Thames have been running the boils for the last two years or have they cut them off to save a few quid.

As far as the stocking goes I fished both F1 and F2 several times in late March and April & caught 32 fish at an average of 5.4 per session and we're not talking full days here. I usually get there around 10am and am always gone by 4pm. I only used floating lines and nymphs, so I think the fishing was pretty good during that period.
Liked by: tenet
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phoned the rangers today and Farmoor is slowly waking up. By that I suppose they mean that someone caught a fish yesterday!

I have been considerably puzzled by the temperature thing. The story from the rangers is that the concrete sides and clay bottom act like a giant electric blanket. but I've been fishing there for more than 40 years, and we've had a good few hot summers in that time and Farmoor never had to close down for weeks on end even when the water levels dropped way down. I know I don't fish it as often as I used to, but has anyone seen the water level say 12' down in recent years?

However, in conversation with the rangers today I might just have worked it out. Thames now pump in from the river, and as you can imagine, the river water gets very warm. I can vouch for that from my time doing fish surveys on the Thames in mid-summer. In mid-July which was when we did the surveys the water felt warm to touch.
So, pumping warm water at about 20degrees into the bottom of a 30' deep reservoir is going to heat the whole system when aided by the aforementioned concrete and direct sunlight on the water surface.

The water is still 17 degrees, and I wouldn't mind betting that the river is the same temperature. It would almost be worth going up there with a thermometer and checking. The reservoir surface water should be cooling quite a bit by now, and physics tells us that cool water sinks. So, it might, but then it meets that nice warm water coming in from the river and soon warms up again.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I thought they had always pumped in from the Thames ??
What has changed on the river end of the pumping station is they have rebuilt the inlet and there is a lot of new kit there ( Bob, you may know what it is for) with what look like remote water monitors.
It is all rather baffling the prolonged closures and high water temps, as said here earlier it is only been like this in the last few years.
I am starting to think that it is not worth buying a season ticket there if these long closures and poor fishing continue in the summer months.
P
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they really stock in Feb with no top ups until September? I thought they would do regular small stockings during the spring and early summer while temps were still low. Either way I'm looking forward to a trip in November or December Smile
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Yes they did, but only when flows in the Thames were above a certain level and only when the water was clear. They never pumped when the river was in flood. Not having been there for some time I'm not sure what the new gear is for up at the inlet end.

Had a 2lb grayling from the Itchen yesterday, plus three more around the 1.5lb mark. Good flows on the river, but carrying a bit of colour after the rain which the grayling don't like much.

See you soon

Bob
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a boat today - arrived at 12 and was away booted and suited by 12.30. Water levels good but water quality not that good with suspended algae and visibility down to 3 or 4 ft. Water temps still up with it feeling warm to the hand test with air temp circa 13c.
I set up initially with a di3 with a blob on the point and 2 hoppers on the droppers and set a drift from the SE corner on a steady SE breeze. Didnt get a touch so tried a booby on the point but still blank. Not a fin was showing so surmmised that the fish were deeper but not that deep so switched to a Indy with straight nymphs.twiddled away and had a savage take which was gone in a flash. Moved down to the SE end and drifted out from 6 toward the blue bouoy and finally had a fish on my floater to a ginger hopper. A boat on a similar drift was catching for a pastime and on chatting at close of play they had about 20 to their boat using 10ft sink tips and a WL set up and hoppers. Full marks to them as the other 3 or 4 boats only had ones and twos.Quite a few banksmen out early afternoon but they had mostlydrifted away by late afternoon.
Further stocking taking place the next week and the week after so perhaps, as Wylye said upthread, we will be on floating lines well into November.

Cheers - Doug
Liked by: Allrounder, JCP, Fryfishing
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another trip to F2 yesterday - was thinking of Chew but the forecasted winds from the South put me off.

Reservoir full although the water is stained with degrading algae and about 4 ft visibility looking into the water column. Lots of banksmen out, not surprisingly as the lake had been stocked the previous day with 1800 fish and more next week. Stiff breeze from the SW made things difficult at times . The ranger said the fish were "up" and we were expecting a stockie fest but that was not to be. Worked the northern end without seeing or touching anything and slowly worked our way down to the Southern end where we finally found some willing fish drifting across. We boated just 3 fish although we pricked quite a few and had a number of long distance C&R so were kept busy. Most action came to floating lines and black lures without hardly a touch to nymphs or hoppers.
Very little surface activity and when we had squally wind the fishing went right off. I think the stockies need to acclimatise to their new environment and feed on naturals. The fish taken were typical stock fish and not at all like the normal stamp one gets from Farmoor. Have a look at the Farmoor Facebook page to see what I mean.

Didn't see many banksmen catch and lots drifted away during the afternoon. Apparently changes are afoot regarding boat timings and new ticketing so not sure what that means. My advice would be don't upset the punters as the fishery ain't been that good of late and fishermen are very fickle.
Liked by: Fryfishing, BristolFlyer
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go to Ravensthorpe today but decorating took priority Sad
It sounds hard going still but I do need to go as I am not getting many "bangs for my buck" from my season ticket.
I was told the boats will not go out till 9.30 due to staff being busy early in the morning.

Are there any boats or even a dock on No1 yet??

Ta
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter - no boats or pontoon on F1 yet, allegedly in hand but awaiting HO allocating funds. Security gates have been installed on the main pontoon of F2 so perhaps the vulnerability of things on F1 is exercising minds.

As an aside, it was quite chill yesterday and the "hand in the water test" would indicate temps down to circa 15c.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: