The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Colin, and pleased to hear you had a few! Very Happy
Doombar wrote:
....they just loved the orangy FAB with numerous taps & general messing about almost every cast. Real good lock ups were few & far between though ...

That was my experience too on Wednesday, although nothing locked up on the Blob for me. However I found that while striking at the 'interference' didn't work, I sometimes got an unmissable pull a few seconds later on the Corixa on the middle dropper.

My guess is that with the Blob on the top dropper, when I pulled it away from the fish on the strike the Corixa on the middle dropper darted into view and they instinctively pounced on it instead. Smile

However until a trout learns to talk we will never know! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: Doombar
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if north shores to busy for you there’s always green lawn which I fished yesterday morning.
No rising fish but there’s plenty about 2ft down I fished single fly on floater and had 6 fish in a couple hours with lots of missed pulls mostly stabby pulls, 3 other anglers out all catching all along the lawn we were quite spread out.
All fish recently planted I would say all around the 3ib mark.
Car park was busy and lots of boats around the dam area.
Cheers mike
Liked by: arkle, Allrounder, Doombar, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared a morning boat on Blagdon this morning with Ian (Bovver) but must admit I was questioning my sanity when I pulled up in the Lodge car park at 7.50 in driving rain. Ian arrived soon after and we spent a while looking out of the Lodge window wondering if Noah's Ark would be more appropriate in the circumstances but soon the rain eased back a little so we loaded our gear in the boat.

Apart from the rain, the conditions were quite reasonable possibly due to the wind having more 'South' in it and being lighter than we expected so instead of heading for the sheltered dam or Butcombe area as planned we decided to try a few drifts further up the lake while the going was good. Our first drift took us from Rainbow Point towards Pegs Point but we had no interest from the fish so I was ready to move back down the lake. However Ian suggested we try a few more drifts first and I'm glad he did. Very Happy

Shortly after starting the next drift I had a couple of knocks that developed into a lock up and soon a very fit stockie rainbow was in the net. Then on consecutive drifts I had another and Ian lost one before he hooked a nice Brownie that made his heart miss a beat more than once before it was safely netted and released. Laughing Cool

After that we had interest on most drifts but the majority failed to lock up. However we still managed to net a few and lose some as well before 2.30 when we had to come in. Although the pulls certainly didn't come thick and fast, there were enough on each drift to keep us interested despite the heavy rain showers that fell on and off all morning.

The weather has not been kind to us recently but there are plenty of fish in both lakes so if you don't mind a bit rain it is certainly worth giving it a go! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, blondie, lakefisher, tenet, BristolFlyer, swampydick, Noob, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan for another enjoyable session. It was good to blow away some cobwebs as I have struggled to get out much this season.
Unable to upload photo?
Will keep on trying though
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With brisk westerly wind forecast & another piking day both boat & bank on chew I headed for Green Lawn this morning. Arrived later than intended at about 8.00. One other angler on the western corner reported 3 caught so far, in close, so signs were good.

With that & Mikes report in mind I started with washing line with tequila FAB keeping things up. Soon had interest in the form of stabs, much like Chew last week. Finally one locked up & a 1.12 stockie came to the net followed by another same size that released itself before I had chance to. Then another took on the drop that came in at about 2.4.

I carried on, thinking this would be easy & I'd be able to pick & chose fish to take but we know what happens when we start thinking like that - predictably the fish had other ideas &, apart from stabs with the occasional decent pull that didn't stick, that was it until I packed in at 11.00. Just enough action to keep me there chopping & changing tactics trying to find killing method without real success, although I wasn't alone as the 4 or 5 others along the bank by then hadn't cracked it either.

Breeze turned out to be a moderate SW so not too unpleasant. Good to see a fair number of boats out as well.
Liked by: swampydick, Allrounder, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all. I had an early session on Tank 3 this morning. Fished the pipe.

Started at half 6 with a Humongous and floating line and quickly picked up a bullet before it was properly light. There were a few signs of surface activity but these melted away quickly after dawn. Fished on for a fruitless hour not seeing much before switching to an intermediate with a damsel and a cormorant.

Thought I'd cracked the code as I picked up another little bullet in fairly short order, but there followed another fruitless spell. The wind dropped a bit and it warmed up enough for some buzzers to come off, I saw a few dimples close in so moved back onto a floater and some buzzers. It didn't seem to be working, but just as I was thinking of packing up, the end of the line slid away about 10 yards out and I took a fish of around the 2 pound mark. Left the lake at 10am

It was a good session - the Barrows fish certainly kept me on my toes. It felt like the fish were well spread out and it all felt very autumnal (apart from the bit with the buzzers Very Happy ). The fish were all in good silvery condition and the biggest of them had some good rays in the tail

Cheers

Tom
Liked by: Allrounder, Doombar, BristolFlyer, swampydick
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom Very Happy

I fished Blagdon from Green Lawn yesterday with a friend who is just getting into fishing and had never visited Blagdon before.

The water was a cloudy after all the rain but an angler was landing a fish from the W side of the lawn as we pulled up so we thought we were in for a good day. He left with four fish as we waded out so we slotted into his spot. I had a small fish take a wet hopper right under my rod tip soon after, but it wasn't the start of a landslide! We picked away for the next few hours with just enough action to keep us from moving to another spot. There seemed to be the odd fish moving in close to chase corixa and I took three more on a small silver cheek cruncher. My mate stuck with lures but didn't manage to convert any of the pulls he had. A first taste of Blankdon but he really liked it.

We packed up at 3pm after a couple of barren hours but it was still a very enjoyable day nonetheless. It was good to see such a good turnout for the BRFFA hidden pairs event with every boat taken I think. Most boats were around Cheddar water and pipe bay, with a few more up in Butcombe.
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, swampydick, Allrounder
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reports guys.
I just missed you yesterday Dave as I arrived at green lawn just after 4 where i fished by the seat and picked up 2 fish on inter and coral blobs, water not as clear as last week.
Today fished tank 3 started on pipe had 2 fish here to booby on floater then wind got up and moved to stockie corner where fish were moving on top but although I tried with dries it didn’t happen for me so changed to db’s and picked up another fish. Guy next to me caught plenty on sunken line but I didn’t fancy putting on the di7 just yet.
All fish super fit and full of blood worm.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder, BristolFlyer, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
. It was good to see such a good turnout for the BRFFA hidden pairs event with every boat taken I think. Most boats were around Cheddar water and pipe bay, with a few more up in Butcombe.

Ian (bovver) and I fished the Hidden Pairs and the word was that every boat had been booked so that was good news! What was even better news was that the weather decided to play ball by staying dry throughout with a light wind and overcast sky which was a pleasant surprise! Very Happy

As Dave said most the boats peeled off towards the dam and Butcombe at the start but, always the rebels, Ian and I went in the other direction to fish Wood Bay. We soon found that we didn't have it to ourselves however as Mark S and his boat partner had the same idea and they were first to draw blood while Ian and I struggled to get a pull. I then lost a fish on a buzzer and later had another pull which I completely missed as I was more intent on watching Mark tussle with a huge Blagdon pike which unfortunately bit him off, before I managed to net my only fish before lunch - a 1-6 Rainbow which must have been the smallest one in the lake! Rolling Eyes Laughing

All the boats came in at 1pm for a buffet lunch and as we enjoyed our food outside it soon became apparent that there were fish moving in the shallow water in front of the Lodge. Unfortunately we weren't the only ones who were aware of this and after lunch a flotilla of boats headed for that part of the lake again. I'm not that keen on playing Bumper Cars when I fish so after a while we decided to head back up the lake, but not before Ian had managed to winkle out a decent Brownie that took him around the prop before coming to the net. Top angling, mate! Cool

We had Wood Bay to ourselves for a while until I hooked my second fish and then a couple of boats appeared around Rainbow Point as if by magic. After than things got a bit busier with up to 4 boats in the bay at one point which probably didn't help the fishing . Despite this the fish were there and Ian and I continued to pick up the odd tentative tap and tug which frustratingly didn't develop, although I managed to get one more in the net before it was time to come in.

Unfortunately I had been double booked for a quiz night that evening by my 'better half' so I had to weigh in as soon as I got off the boat and then hit the road. Mad That was a real shame as I enjoy the after match craic and the presentation while showing my support and appreciation to the sponsors. Sad

Not that I troubled the prize table this time - Ian texted me later to say that I and my hidden partner came 17th out of 20 pairs! Laughing Very Happy

I always enjoy fishing with Ian and yesterday was no exception. We may not have filled our boots this time but it was fun and I'm looking forward to next time already! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: BristolFlyer, Thomas Tom-Thomas, Doombar, lakefisher, arkle, JCP, Noob
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the basic mistake of believing the forecast, I had a morning boat on chew today. The rain that was due to start sometime after noon decided to arrive somewhat earlier making for a miserable session. In every sense because not only did I manage to blank, but on packing it in early & changing out of wet gear back at the lodge I was fortunate enough to see the biggest rainbow I've seen caught on Chew being weighed - see the photos on BWFB. 12.4. perfectly proportioned and full finned. Jealous, moi?

Next time.
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, arkle, Allrounder
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doombar wrote:
The rain that was due to start sometime after noon decided to arrive somewhat earlier making for a miserable session.

It was an absolute stinker this morning Colin, sounds like what one of my climbing partners would refer to as an "Edifying" session. Given the fact that four pounders look enormous to me, I can only speculate on what 12lb of Chunky Rainbow would look like.

I'd like to ask some advice from the collective if I may...

My folks got me a Sportfish voucher last Xmas and I finally got round to spending it, some of it on a "Type 6" sinking line. I bought it for fishing boobies at the tanks in the cold months. Mike's post at the weekend made me think I should be considering using it. Thing is, I have no idea what I'm doing Rolling Eyes ;

- Does the line sink and drag the boobies down on it's own, or do I have to give a few pulls to get the flies down?
    - Any advice on leader lengths and fly spacing -The internet advises everything from 15 inches to 15 feet?
    - Any other things I might need to know before I begin my dalliance with the dark side?

Think this is the right place for the question as It'll really only be the Tanks I'm using it at I think, so a BW specific question.

Thanks

Tom
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

In my view (which others may not share) your line will pull your boobies down of its own accord. However it is a good idea to give your line a pull (or two) after it lands to straighten everything out so your line is straight as it falls though the water column. This will help you to know if a fish intercepts your fly on the drop

Fishing from the bank, I find that leader length is trial and error and some of the determining factors are how big your booby eyes are (ie how buoyant your fly is ), how fast you retrieve (the slower you retrieve the higher your flies will fish) , how cold the water is (cold water usually means the fish want it deep and slow) and on windy days how much undertow there is which you need to compensate for with your retrieve or leader length. This sounds complicated but put simply if you are catching the bottom slow down or increase your leader length. If you get a few tugs then bingo! You are doing it right! Laughing

For bank fishing I usually start with a 4 foot leader with two boobies equally spaced and go from there but if you are fishing at the start of the season it is best to fish only one fly to avoid double hook ups , especially on Chew or Blagdon.

Although derided by many, I find tripping a booby slowly along a clean lake bed can be a fascinating way to fish. Sometimes your line will just lock up and a fish is on, but if you're lucky you get a series of sharp irregular tugs and it can turn into a real cat and mouse game trying to get them to take the fly properly. Sometimes stopping your retrieve works, other times speeding up does the trick and often neither approach works consistently so you just have to work it out on the day. Smile

I've found that White Boobies and Sparkler Boobies can work well at this time of year, tripped slowly along the bottom with irregular tweaks to imitate fry in distress.

I must be honest though. The mild Springs and Autumns in recent years have meant that I haven't used a fast sinker from the bank for a while now, as I find other lines more effective. Smile

Hope this helps Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Bewick ( a man who knew how to fish boobies) wrote and said,start with a six foot leader and one fly then adjust it according to what the fish want.
It works for me at Farmoor.

Another point he made was to use a sinking line and boobie (from the bank) to work out where the fish are in the water column. This was achieved with a very long cast ( in his case 40 yards plus) then as soon as the line lands on the water start a slow fig of 8. By counting and retrieving you can work out where the fish were feeding and fish accordingly.

Very Happy
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, arkle, Thomas Tom-Thomas
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONKEY ALERT!

An 11lb 11oz Rainbow trout was caught from a boat off North Shore today. I've seen the pic and its a cracker! I've also heard a rumour of at least one fish of around 9lb from Blagdon too!

There are some special fish coming out of the lakes at the moment and that's why I love fishing the back end so much. Cool

Forget the wind and the rain - get out there! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Last edited by Allrounder on Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, BristolFlyer
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. Really useful stuff, particularly around the leader length and set up. Like the tip on finding fish in the water column too. I'll try that.

Appreciate your advice as always.

On a different note I see there was another double out of Chew today. Shock

Cheers

Tom

**Edit - looks like Alan scooped me on the big fish by a minute Very Happy ***
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: