The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Allrounders Almanac
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a week in Falmouth with the wife and what a week to pick! Crying or Very sad The weather didn't look too bad to start with and I shared a very enjoyable Sunday morning fishing with Warren (Cornish Stalker) who took me to one of his favourite Bass marks. We started just after low tide while it was still dark and I was convinced my trusted Gurgler approach would pay dividends but apart for one splash behind my lure just before dawn that was it for me. Crying or Very sad

Towards the top of the tide we left to try one of his Mullet spots where we found plenty of fish to cast at. Some of them were a couple of pounds and would have certainly put up a spectacular fight in the shallow water but again none of them took any interest in my special mullet flies tied up for the occasion. Crying or Very sad

However despite the disappointing fishing the morning finished on a high note when we managed to book a table at a local pub for Sunday lunch with our other halves and Warrens lad Finley which proved to be a great way to end the morning. Cool

We agreed to have another session later in the week but I have to confess I wussed out due to the horrendous weather predictions. Embarassed Embarassed Perhaps I need some lessons from this guy ... Laughing
https://www.facebook.com/JoeBrooksFlyFishing/videos/367497326782472/?t=0

In the event the weather some mornings wasn't as bad as predicted and I did manage an afternoon float fishing session for mackerel but gave up soon after due to the gusting wind. Sad

So a bit of a disappointing week apart from meeting and fishing with Warren for the first time. Very Happy He really was the perfect gent, picking me up at 5am outside my lodgings and refusing to allow me to pay for any drinks back in the pub afterwards. Shock

Warren - I owe you big time and I won't forget next time you are up my way to fish Chew and Blagdon. Very Happy

Alan Wink
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan it was a very good morning with great company, pint and roast after was nice with our familys. Mullet fishing was so frustrating.
Sorry i couldnt get you a bass or mullet, it was a shame the gales rain came in all week.
Im looking forward to next years sessions down here, hopefully can put you on some fish next time.

Plus few up your way.
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just come back from a 4 day break at the Parkdean Warmwell holiday resort in Dorset with the wife and friends and their grandchildren. Knowing that this type of holiday isn't really my thing, they tempted me with the promise of fishing on site and in the event it was a good break. Very Happy

The fishing consisted of 3 lakes with one being a specimen pool with the others being allocated for pleasure fishing which is what I wanted. Although I would much sooner be fly fishing, a bit of coarse fishing was better than no fishing at all so I packed the river gear and centre pins as that's all the coarse fishing gear I have these days with the hope of fitting in a session or two in among the other family duties.

As is often the case at such venues the coarse fishing wasn't exactly cheap at £9.50 a day (£7.50 half day) and to make matters worse I found that unhooking mats were compulsory on all lakes, not just the specimen lake, so that added a further £5 hire charge on to the cost making it £14.50 a day / £12.50 for half a day plus bait. Sad

My first session was a few hours on a half day ticket targeting silver fish with loose fed maggots and although I was hoping a carp or two might gatecrash proceedings I ended up with perhaps 6lb of Roach to around 8oz so not an unpleasant way to spend a few hours. The only downside was that I paid for a pint of maggots which turned out to be more like half a pint which the fishery manager refused to acknowledge when challenged, although he did promise me 'a few more' next time I came in. 'Next time' didn't happen as I bought a can of sweetcorn in the camp grocery store instead. Mad

My second and final session was fished with sweetcorn and this proved to be a good move as it produced a better stamp of Roach, a couple of big skimmer Bream to about 1lb 8oz and a solitary Carp of about 4lb which pleased the carp boys no end when they heard my Rapidex centerpin's drag chatter as they sat behind their silent bite alarms! Laughing

So an interesting diversion for a few days but no replacement for fly fishing on my beloved Chew! Wink

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or two ago I came across an intriguing offer from the South West Lakes Trust who have decided to allow Perch fishing with lures and flies on Roadford reservoir in North Devon. This offer is available during August only on what is a natural/stocked Brown trout water for a reduced permit fee of £10 plus boat fees and so I wasn't surprised when Jack Welshman (who is a total Perch fanatic) jumped at the chance to share a boat! I know that South West Lakes Trust operate a little differently from Bristol Water Fisheries so I wasn't too surprised when I booked the boat to find that they went out 'after 9am' and they had to be back in 'by 5pm' Sad but we felt it was still worth the 225 round trip to try somewhere different where some decent Perch would be a real possibility.

We arrived a little later than planned but soon we had the boat loaded and we were ready to start exploring the lake. We asked the Ranger on duty where most of the Perch were coming out or where he thought the best area might be to start to which he replied, 'I don't know' each time. That was a little disappointing but to be fair to him he looked like he knew a lot more about paddle boarding and kayaking which is one of the issues when angling becomes only a small part of a much wider 'Water Sports' offer. Sad

Roadford is around 780 acres although it is worth pointing out that the top half of the lake is 'out of bounds' for boats as is the area by the jetties, the dam and the inlet tower. Water clarity was good in the main body of the lake although not as good in some of the inlets due to recent run off but it was nothing to worry about and nor was the weather with light winds and good cloud cover. What could have been a problem was that the new Coulam boat we had are the same design as as Farmoor boats which meant I couldn't mount my sounder bracket over the gunwale, but fortunately Jack had his 'Go Deeper' sounder which told us all we needed to know.

For the August trial SWLT are allowing drop shotting with soft plastics etc on what is normally a 'fly only' venue so Jack brought his small baitcaster set up as well as his fly gear. We started by exploring each of the bays around the lake in turn and quickly realised that Roadford is a very different lake to Chew. Many of the banks dropped very steeply into the water where a good cast from the bank could easily put you over 30 foot of water. We also found that most fish that showed on the sounder were hugging the contours and Jack soon had a few small Perch out on his baitcaster set up including a 12oz Brownie before reverting to fishing a D7 and bait patterns the same as me.

Some of the bays we fished simply screamed Perch but at first we found pulls quite hard to come by on the fly gear. However further up the lake we managed to set up some nice slow drifts hugging the shoreline where the pulls were much more frequent but the fish were small with the largest not making 8oz. Then I hear a shout and when I saw his rod pulled over it was clear that jack was in a much better fish. We hoped it was a big Perch but when he said the fish took his big fry pattern on the drop I predicted 'trout' which was confirmed when it leapt 3 feet into the air like a Polaris missile! It left the water once more before it was safely subdued and what a fine fish it was ....

After that bit of excitement we carries up up the other side of the lake towards the dam where we picked up plenty of small Perch but nothing worth netting. We tried a few drifts out a little deeper just beyond where the small fish were holding in the hope that bigger fish might be found but we had no luck. It was fish in closer and get plenty of pulls from smaller fish, or fish out a little deeper and get nothing at all.

Soon we reached the nearest bay to the dam at the top end where at last my luck changed ... but not by much! I had two fish that I thought were nice Perch but on both occasions they turned out to be Brownies weighting between 8 - 12 ounces and they really wanted the fly - taking my #8 White Zonker well inside the mouth! After that we had a few more small Perch but all too soon it was time to head back to the jetty to meet the 5pm curfew.

It was a shame that we couldn't find a better stamp of Perch as even a few from 12oz to 1-8 would have made our day, but you can't be disappointed when your boat partner nets such a magnificent Brownie. Sadly a 225mile round journey means that Roadford won't become a regular destination for me although I thoroughly enjoyed fishing a completely different water both in character and stocking policy. Smile

You can find a short clip of the day on the facebook group page ... https://www.facebook.com/groups/completefisher/

Hope the Stripeys make an appearance at Chew soon!

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: BristolFlyer, lakefisher
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent last week in Cornwall staying in a cottage on the Fal estuary in the hope that the Mullet would come out to play. There have been some major developments in recent years with Mullet anglers like Colin MacLeod developing new flies and approaches that make them a much more viable target with 'proper' flies (not bread imitations) so I was looking forward to losing my Mullet virginity with the help of Warren (Cornish Stalker). Laughing

My first session on Sunday was a fair drive and early start but soon Warren and I were surveying a pool of water at low tide for tell take signs of fins cutting through the flat surface. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw nervous water to my right (being reservoir trout angler here was an advantage!) and soon I was covering a group of fins with a floating line and two MacLeod mullet flies. There was no response to my first two casts but on my next cast the line slid forward a few inches and then the water erupted as I lifted into a good Mullet which took to the air before it shed the hook on re-entry. Was I disappointed? I was - but only a little as a Mullet had taken one of my flies for the first time ever which showed I was on the right track and I was confident there would be more where that came from. However as the tide continued to flood the fins got fewer and soon it was time to try another mark.

The next mark was a Golden Grey Mullet mark and in the morning sun you could have easily mistaken it for a bonefish flat. However despite our best attempts in the strong wind, the GGs could not be found and so it was off to our final mark close to my cottage where Warren had taken fish to nearly 4lb previously. Sadly things had deteriorated since the previous week and the water, which Warren assured me was usually clear, was now coloured although it was possible to identify where the fish were through looking for disturbed water.

We both covered disturbed water with no result and when we finally did spot a couple of fish cruising in clearer water a walker let her dog jump in next to them and that was that. Crying or Very sad

Next morning I was up at the crack of dawn and on the mark just as the sun was rising. It was low water and I could see mullet about 50 yards down from me and once the tide began to flood they moved up to within casting range. Again it was necessary to look for water movement rather than the fish themselves due to the poor clarity but the occasional surges against the far bank made it obvious they were feeding on something. I covered a couple of fish well but had no response before the heavens opened and the wind got up so as it was an exposed area I called it a morning.

From then on the weather well and truly broke with strong westerly winds and heavy, regular showers so it was a case of finding somewhere safe and out of the wind to fish. Fortunately Warren came to the rescue and pointed me to a rock mark on the Lizard which would be possible to fish in that wind direction. This mark was above deep water at all states of the tide and it would have been possible to fly fish, but I have a guilty pleasure which is float fishing for mackerel with frozen sandeel for bait so that was my plan of attack, along with fishing a metal lure on another rod if the fishing was slow. As it turned out it was slow for the first 40 minutes or so then, I noticed my float had disappeared due to a good sized mackerel taking the bait. That was supper sorted!

I took another 4 Garfish which put up a surprisingly strong resistance before I gave it best as I was meeting Warren after work for a Bass session on the North coast.

Well that was the plan. Unfortunately the swells made it far too dangerous to fish Warren's chosen marks so we settled for a final session in the Fal estuary on lures. We started on metal lures which caught a tiny Pollack for Warren and as darkness fell I changed my lure to a surface popper but by 9pm it was clear it wasn't going to happen so we gave it best.

My Cornwall week chasing Bass and Mullet was scuppered by the weather breaking just as I arrived but it was great to be shown new marks and to imagine what the result could have been if the decent weather had lasted just a week longer. Fortunately the Mackerel and Garfish interlude meant I did get my string pulled which was more than welcome, given the weather.

Many thanks to Warren (Cornish Stalker) for the lifts to and from my door and sharing his marks with me. I look forward to repaying the compliment when we share a boat during the Fluff Chuckers multi species match on Chew later this month.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: blondie, Fryfishing
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Alan, sorry I couldn't put you on more fish.
It was gutting the weather played up.
Hopefully next year that mullet will come for you. Least you got few areas now to target them.

You cant beat float fishing for mackerel and gars
cornish stalker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to fluff chucker day out and sharing a boat with you .
Slowly getting gear ready and getting perch flys
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fishing Diaries and Blogs -> Fishing Diaries All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: