The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Ladybower Autumn Social

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Social Events -> Social Events and Fishing Partners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Ladybower Autumn Social Reply with quote

As most will know the Completefisher Autumn social was held on Ladybower Reservoir again this year following the success of last year. We had almost non stop rain for the the entire weekend and occasional bouts of blustery wind too but despite all that the fishing was still very good and an excellent time was had by all. I arrived Thursday afternoon to reports that many of the early birds had managed double figures so things were looking good right from the off. After setting up the tent and greeting all the old (now getting very old Laughing ) faces we all headed to the Ladybower Inn for food and a few drinks... Richard being part of the furniture there (and very predictable so it would seem) had his usual meal of Moussaka personally delivered by the chef before the rest of us had even ordered... an offence which placed him well in the lead for winning the hand of Satan at this point!. Unlike the socials of the past the ageing members of the group (that's nearly all of us now) retired at a paltry 11pm Shock

Friday saw me fishing for the 1st time since the Elinor Social in the Spring!. Many of the old faces here will be shocked and saddened by the fact that among the social attendees I am now officially the last bastion of proper reservoir fishing namely loch style (free drifting from a boat) the rest all content with trolling for fish all day every day sat in their inflatable swimming aids. Anglersvoice (Kevin) having a a crisis of conscience, it would seem, decided to try proper fishing for a change and joined me in the boat for the day. It wasn't particularly easy fishing but were lucky early on to find fish in what seemed to be tight shoal out in open water off the end of the cages. We both used floating lines pulling back mainly black and green lures just sub surface and ended up with 25 fish to the boat split as equally as is it's possible to get. The usual BBQ, beer and banter in the Marquee Friday night rounded of the day nicely.

Saturday I once again flew the flag for proper fly fishermen the world over and took to the boat alone (Anglersvoice quite understandably opting to visit family rather than endure another day of wind and rain) method wise, for me, it was much more of the same Floating line pulling back lures just subsurface though it became apparent that the fish had moved closer into the cages overnight making it necessary to jostle for position with the armada of inner tube clad trollers circling the nets to be in with a chance of catching... Fish came fairly steadily all day falling again to a mainly black and green themed collection of lures (as per the picture below) I was happy to call it a day about 3.30 when a few boats decided to anchor themselves to the cages spoiling any opportunity to drift along them and also having spotted some serious rain in the distance. I ended the day with 18 fish to the boat having lost countless more Smile Another epic BBQ followed with all the usual banter and story telling before yet another early night.

Sunday I decided not to fish and instead to take a short walk up and along Bamford Edge (the rocky outcrop overshadowing the reservoir) whilst the rest took to their inner tube trolling vessels to assault the fish cages once again.

A few photos in no particular order:

The successful flies (minus a few others that also caught but eventually got lost to snap offs... namely SKB white & green blob and a gold headed / long tailed version of that black & green blob)

It was nice to see all the usual suspects + a few new faces who I hope enjoyed the weekend and attend the next one in the spring.

Thanks must of course go to Ladybower fisheries & the Staff for putting up with all weekend it really is an excellent venue for a social. Also must say thank you to Whistlekiller for all the organising and preparation that goes into the socials and of course to Sue for looking after us and putting up with the constant swearing... no names mentioned Mr Dewey! . I look forward to returning next year for more of the same (if we're all still welcome Laughing)
Liked by: Whistlekiller
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Social Events -> Social Events and Fishing Partners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: