The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

R.I.P. Bob Church

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Posting Guidelines and Announcements -> Forum Announcements and Membership Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkle
2,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: R.I.P. Bob Church Reply with quote

I saw he passed away yesterday morning. Deepest sympathies to everyone.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great fisherman that took the snobbery out of fly fishing opening up the "new" reservoir trout fishing - met him a couple of times at Grafham back in the early 70's always friendly and free with advice for a young (me) beginner. RIP
arkle
2,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd know Bob, from the 70's where I'd met him at several Game Fairs. A few weeks after I'd moved here from Essex, in 73 (I think) I was fishing Blagdon, maybe for the 1st or 2nd time & whilst I was setting up. he & some friends turned up & we started chatting. Anyway I gave him s few flies to try & didn't see him again that day.

A few weeks later, I gort a phone call at work from Trout Fisherman mag. & they asked if I could write an article on the fly I gave to Bob, as he couldn't stop catching on it. So out came the typewriter & the article got published etc, I then joined the BRFFA & not long after was helping out at their fly tying clsases at the "Uni".

Not long after that I was asked to become a commitee member & a few years later I founded the Bristol FDG, Thanks Bob., you really were one of the, very few great's of the fishing world
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club
User is Online

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never met the guy, but I felt I knew him from his many articles in the angling press and from his book 'Reservoir Trout Fishing' which was originally published in 1977. I still dip into it from time to time. Smile

I have a fond memory of Bob from a televised angling show back in the day (was it hosted by Jackie Charlton?) on a small fishery where while the host was speaking to camera you could hear Bob in the background saying 'I'm in' or 'I'm in again' Laughing . For many years after that became my way of announcing I had a fish on , although it was a very rare occurrence back then! Nowadays I tend to say 'here we go' but I digress. Laughing

One thing that may come as a surprise to many is that Bob was an early advocate of fly fishing for pike! Shock Here is the first part of an article he wrote nearly 40 years ago for the December 1979 edition of Trout Fisherman ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was indeed and great innovator of technique, tackle and fly tying along with people like Arthur Cove and Steve Parton.
His role in competition fishing was also very important when he bought in sponsors and publicity to the competition scene. Plus he won most of the titles and cups at some point during his time.
Another sad loss for fishing, R.I.P Bob.
P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Posting Guidelines and Announcements -> Forum Announcements and Membership Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: