The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished tank 3 yesterday evening. The empty car park was a bit ominous when I arrived but conditions seemed good. Up the stairs and it was immediately obvious that the levels were well down since my last trip which brought the weed back into play. The water had a real murky green tinge with lots of suspended algae so I wasn't full of optimism. I had a walk up the south shore and it looked like the least weedy spot was off the pipe casting towards the city end. After the fry feeding last week I brought a lure rod as well and there was certainly lots of activity around the end of the pipe with swirls and sticklebacks flying all over the place. I was picking up weed every cast so switched back to the nymphs/indicator and soon had a nice fish to a small hothead DB. No blank at least Very Happy

The fry feeding picked up a notch but I had the strong suspicion that it wasn't trout doing the chasing. This was confirmed shortly afterwards when I landed my first ever perch from the Tanks. Only a small fellow but with no competition from pike and lots of food I'm sure they will grow fast!

No evening rise again despite quite a few buzzer and caenis hatching after sunset.
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I have ever caught a Perch from the Tanks either Dave, but its good tso hear. Very Happy

Well done on avoiding the dreaded blank. Cool

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a boat on Chew yesterday which was sooner than I would have liked after last Thursday but my boat partner could only do Monday this week. With the cooler weather and longer nights I was hoping that more of the colour might have dropped out of the water but sadly that wasn't the case although the temperature has dropped to 66F/18.9C which was good to see. Word in the Lodge was that plenty of fish were being caught in Herons but our plan as usual was to try for the Perch with sinking lines although I had plans to switch to trout later in the day.

Sadly we couldn't locate any baitfish shoals in the usual places or congregations of fish near the bottom so neither of us had a pull before I dropped Jack off at the jetties at 4pm due to an unexpected call back into work. Remind me again why I always switched my phone off when fishing before I retired! Laughing However we did note while we were out that the stocking truck had been busy at Wick and Woodford and there was plenty of evidence of recent stockies swimming around the jetty when I dropped Jack off. Very Happy

Earlier there were a number of anchored boats in Herons which made access difficult but when I had a look later on most had gone so I decided to try my luck. The stiff breeze and the need to fish between the weed beds meant that anchoring was the only real option and I set up about 50 yards across from the only other boat anchored there. They had obviously found the sweet spot and where catching fairly regularly but interest in my flies was much less frequent and mainly confined to swirling at the Hopper Popper on the point, although one did take a fancy to the Red Holo DB on the dropper to enable me to avoid a blank. However it was uncomfortable fishing due to the anchor regularly dragging through the mud and weeds despite having all the rope out so I gave it best at 7pm and came in early.

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, BristolFlyer, blondie
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on what the weed is like from the bank on Blagdon at the moment?

I'm keen for a dangle this weekend and it sounds like Blagdon is the best option.

I'll probably just catch perch Shock
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Tony Donnelly Reply with quote

Just seen on Facebook.

RIP
We were absolutely devastated to learn of the sudden passing this week of Tony Donnelly, former BW fisheries manager and great friend and supporter of the club.
He gave genuine passion and enthusiasm to our lakes and our fishing. He will be remembered by all of us for having made such a great and positive impact on our fishing lives.. We are sure that our friends and club members will have his family in their thoughts and prayers at this tragic time.
# taken too young
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder, lakefisher
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was truly shocked when I hear the the terrible news about Tony Donnelly on FB. Sad

Prior to his arrival at Bristol Water I felt the fishery was in an inevitable slow decline until he took it by the scruff of its neck and turned my incorrect assumption on its head. During his time he raised the bar, or rather he reminded us of where the bar should be, and his results during the few years he was with us speak for themselves. Although he could sometimes be passionate to a fault which did not endear him to everyone, his drive and enthusiasm was what the Fishery needed and he provided the foundation that John and his team are now taking forward.

RIP my friend.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, blondie
lakefisher
3,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only agree with Alan's comments regarding the devastating news of the sudden death of Tony Donnelly - A true gent that will be greatly missed. Crying or Very sad

My heartfelt condolences to his young family

Tony, you have many friends who will all be saddened by your passing - RIP

Another Tony
Liked by: blondie
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news, only met Tony a few times but his passion for angling was clear to see,RIP.

Fished cheddar water this morning, arrived just after 6 and there was a rise going on, most of the fish were out in the middle but the odd one closer in, hooked and lost a fish 3rd cast then caught a nice 3 ib rainbow which was super fit.
The wind then got up and was coming straight at me so after 2 tangles I left for butcombe lovely conditions here but no takers.
Driving back across the dam I could see fish rising all through the middle of the lake so the boats should have a good day.
Weed no problem on a washing line and dont have to wade through it either, clarity good especially at butcombe but lots of suspended algae.

Happy with a fish especially when it strips line off the reel like the rocket I had today.

Cheers mike
Liked by: JCP, arkle, Allrounder, blondie
csfcodhunter
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP Tony.

You single handedly took on BW. Respect to you. Very few on here will know the full details of what challenges you faced v BW. A true gent who always had the fisherman at heart. Quality bloke who was only too happy to spend time, especially with the beginners to angling. Fly fishing at BW will be worse off.

Thanks for all the tips and advice you gave us all.
Will be sadly missed by all your friends around the CV. Quality bloke!
Liked by: lakefisher, JCP, Allrounder, blondie
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: RIP Di Donnelly. Reply with quote

Count myself lucky to have shared a boat with Tony on a few occasions.

https://youtu.be/wsJwK4IKRLI
Liked by: Allrounder, lakefisher, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a morning boat today on Chew and was met by almost perfect conditions due to an overcast sky and just whisper of a Northerly breeze. I was also pleased to report that the clarity has improved to just under 3 feet and the temperature has fallen again to 65F / 18C.

Despite the odd trout rising through the middle I decided to see if the better Perch had arrived so I meandered around in front of the Yacht Club with my sounder looking for bait fish with larger blips around them. I eventually found what I was looking for but whatever the larger blips were showed no interest in my flies but as I drifted further out the smaller fish were replaced by lots of what were almost certainly trout sitting about 10 -12 feet down in 30 feet. That persuaded me to reset the drift and change to a D5 with a booby on the point and nymphs on the droppers but unbelievably despite drifting over the same spot they had moved and I couldn't find them again. Nobody told me they have fins! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Not long after that the wind dropped to almost nothing and fish could be seen moving in the surface obviously feeding on the small brown buzzers that had been hatching on and off all morning. However my attempt to catch them on a washing line with small buzzers held up by a small booby came to nothing apart from a half hearted take on the hang where the fish grabbed the marabou and not the hook. I was half expecting the rise to dissipate quite quickly but it continued for some time which left me with my usual dilemma - do I swap to dries or stay with the washing line? I eventually decided to swap to dries and you guessed. - the sun broke through the clouds and the rise dried up. Typical! Rolling Eyes

I decided to follow the fish down with the D5 and had a stroke of luck when a desperate stocky took my Zonker on the drop but that was the only take I had. On spooning I found it was stuffed with small (#14 - #16) brown and black buzzers. I tried dries again when they reappeared on top and even changed back to a washing line but had no more interest before it was time to come in. Sad

No excuses for this morning. The clarity has improved since last time as has the water temperature and there were plenty of trout around me taking small buzzers but I just couldn't decide which species to fish for or settle on what tactics to use and I ended up doing everything badly. A lesson for the future perhaps? Smile

Until next time ... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Last edited by Allrounder on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: lakefisher, BristolFlyer, tenet, Silver Invicta, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

post deleted
B.A.S.S.

tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really are having a tough spell Al - for a variety of reasons this has been my worst season for many a year. I can normally bank on Farmoor if Chew is playing up but both venues have been difficult, Farmoor due to water temps and nil stocking for 3 months or so and Chew acting all fickle when I've had an opportunity to visit. Ah well, here's hoping for a productive back end. Smile
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing fine until July Doug, averaging more than 5 a session (which is good for me Rolling Eyes) and more 4lb + fish than for many a year, but the bottom fell out in August. Sad

However I've seen enough fish in Chew for me to believe that the back end will fish well, and that's before they release the cage of lumps they have waiting to go in. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day off tomorrow - will it be Chew lunkers stockies or Devon bass that call to me Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: