The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

General Lure Fishing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 16th and it was open day for lure fishing at Pitsford.
I was expecting more of a scrum down at the ticket office as all the experts lined up to buy their boat tickets, but it was more of a happy mix of lure and fly fishermen.
We loaded the boat and left the dock at around 9 am so not an early start and finished unloading the boat at 5 pm, not a late finish.
The fishing for us was brutal Sad I had one small pike and a trout that came off half way too the net.
I do not often blank at Pitsford with the lures but this was a close shave. The others out on the water had all the gear, electric motors, fancy fish finders, logo shirts and expensive rods and reels, but I do not know what was caught.
I am not sure about doing open day again at Pitsford but I will go there again in the colder months, the LAS perch cup is there later this month so I will be watching out for the results.

Water was gin clear, there was little weed growth, the sun shone and the wind blew.
P
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dusted off the dropshot rod yesterday and had a few hours chasing perch on my local club water.
After a bit of messing around and talking to other fishermen I started at around 5.30 with a combination of real worms and small plastic worms.
The real worms got an immediate response from the perch so after a couple of small fish I put on a plastic worm that I had soaked in flavoring. It took a little longer but I was into a slightly bigger perch on the plastic worm.
After trying a few spots and catching half pounders, I put on a couple of real worms cast out and slowly worked the dropshot back. This produce a good solid take and the best perch of the night at about a pound in weight.
But at around 7.30 every thing stopped and I could not buy a bite Confused so I called it a night.
I miss those hungry LMB.
P
Liked by: tenet
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the weather is still to hot for a worthwhile trip to Farmoor or any other trout fishery in my area I decided to challenge myself with the lure rod.

First, I set about seeing how little weight I could get away with on my light bait casting outfit, this was a fun but a tad frustrating due to the amount of back lashes I had to pick out of the reel.
The results were worth while, a crazyfish craw on a size one weedless hook and a single swan shot was as low as I could go.
https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/product/crazy-fish-2-5-nimble-8d-orange-coffee-7pcs/
It was good fun and a learning curve fishing like this amongst all the debry on the bottom of my local gavel pit club water where the are a lot of small hungry perch.
I found it far more consistent to up the casting weight to 3 grm and fish it Texas or Carolina style.
Second
I have been trying different rigging methods on a standard ball head jig hook, this resulted in lots of immature jack pike and small perch (I was using small hooks and baits). The conclusion for me is if you want weedles on a jig head this is the way to go.
https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/product/vmc-7340rj-rugby-jig-3-5g-green-pumpkin-size-2-0-4pcs/

Only downside is you need to search the internet to find 1/0 and smaller ( for perch)

We are off to Cornwall for the first week of September so no doubt I will be trying some LRF in the sea.
Very Happy
Liked by: BristolFlyer
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learnt a lot from your posts Very Happy

I really like fishing light 2 gram jig heads with small soft plastics and just flicking them into likely areas. They sink quite slowly so much easier to control in snaggy places. Only small fish so far but that is probably the venues I fish. I saw a tip on another forum where you lip hook a small soft plastic shad with a light jig head and then hook a live worm on the hook so it looks like the lure is swimming around with a worm in its mouth. The guy reckons it rouses the larger perch's competitive instinct!
Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A live/real worm on the dropshot is also a killer and a good place to start the perch feeding and sniffing around for food. Then change to a lure and fingers crossed you are in business.
This is a picture of the texas rigged crayfish I was using.

Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a couple of hours last night playing with the crayfish patterns on a texas rig. The conditions were not great but the water was clear and I could watch the lure in the water to see how they work on different setups.
The best part about Texas rig is it will come through all the snags without getting hung up, which means losing lures and line in some of the most productive areas.
It did produce in a lot of interest from small perch but the surprise of the night was the one in the picture. I set up for pike with a wire trace a 2/0 hook and a four inch crayfish and the little Perch below managed to eat it Shock

tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from Farmoor facebook page - might be of interest to some.

Looking forward to the start of the predator season here at Farmoor.
We would like to gauge interest in a pre season perch angling match with possible dates being the 18th or 20th of October depending on your response.
Please comment below if you are interested.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, as you know I am not on Facebook but I will ask the next time I am up there.
My guess is it would be a difficult day, with all the boats out looking for bait fish and fishfinders pinging
The big perch at Farmoor are like hens teeth anyway.
Cheers
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - you have a message in your "in box"
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a change of scenery and the hope of a better stamp of perch, I took my lure rod to Cheddar reservoir which is a large man made ‘tank’ reservoir that is also part of the Bristol Water stable. It is not stocked with trout but has a good head of roach, bream, pike and my quarry the perch. It is also more open to the public than the other lakes with lots of walkers and cyclists around the 2 mile-ish perimeter. No fly casting then.

Also unlike other Bristol lakes the water is gin clear at the moment. I guess it is over the hill and in a different catchment to Chew and the Tanks but I would sure love to be able to see the bottom in 8 feet of water on Chew at the moment!

The water is clear but there are weed beds around the edges which undoubtable provide good cover. I started with a small perchy looking soft plastic and it was immediately obvious that there were loads of small perch around the edges with at least five or so following the lure in each time and nibbling the tail. I soon figured out that I had to cast right next to the weed beds to tempt the fish that were big enough to eat the lure. Still no bigger than my 7oz canal record though!

I thought a change to a spinner might tempt some bigger fish and first cast it certainly did – though it was toothy and green and was safely released. The small perch liked the spinner even more and I had about ten until I finally had a decent one around sunset. Only about a pound and a half but that is my biggest perch outside of Chew.

So a really fun evening and good value at only £45 for an annual ticket or £6 for a day ticket. When the weed dies back I will have the confidence to fish bigger (more expensive) lures for the pike and big perch.

Perfection in miniature

Liked by: Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also fancied a go at Cheddar, I am told it requires a long cast to reach the deeper water.
Maybe next time I am down your way.
Very Happy
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fryfishing wrote:
I have also fancied a go at Cheddar, I am told it requires a long cast to reach the deeper water.
Maybe next time I am down your way.
Very Happy

I heard the same but that bigger fish come into shallow water towards dark. I will definitely be back!
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked at it on Google Earth and it almost looks like a concrete bowl, Is It ?
Try a Kastmaster or ABU Atom spoon there, they cast a mile and catch fish.

If you can not find Kastmaster the link below may work ( between 3 to 10 grms) but Kastmatser are the best product.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zebco-Laxus-Blinker-Spoon-Wedge-Style-Silver-Spinners-2-5g-28g/153270513042?hash=item23afa26d92:m:mNAx0OOLJKN_3QmDXh1t3fw

P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: