The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Mark, and it must have been hard if you blanked! Shock

Hope this fresher weather stirs them up a bit. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank 3 last night fished just up from pipe fished team buzzers and had a rainbiow nearly take my Rod into the drink as I cast out then put rod down to adjust waistcoat and off it went managed to grab it before it went,the fish was probably 1.8ib! And took middle dropper. Missed another soon after then nothing until late where i took 2 more to bobs bits. Not a bad rise and surprised the weed was not to bad at all for the time of year.

Cheers mike
Liked by: tenet, JCP, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swampydick wrote:
surprised the weed was not to bad at all for the time of year

Great result Mike, and you mention something I have also noticed at Chew. The Pike Fly Fishing Association has their Summer Social over last weekend although I could only fish the Saturday. I was surprised at how far down into Herons it was still possible to fish and how little weed there was at the top end of the lake towards Stratfords. Not many trout boats out, although I understand one had 16 to the boat. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished Herons from 12pm yesterday and had a 4.75lb within 20 minutes. Then nothing so I tried a few spots at Walley, it was quite rough with dirty water so I went back to Herons to finish off and caught another 9. Only trouble is the 9 were Rudd caught washing line Very Happy
Liked by: arkle, tenet, Allrounder, blondie
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The levels were up on tank 3 which obviously helps, you could of fished stockie corner if you wanted although not sure straight nymphs.
I had the wind behind me and fished a 15 ft leader with gold head on point and didn’t catch weed until I’d retrieved half way back so just speeded up a bit.
Although if levels drop as they do might be a bit different
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day on Chew yesterday. Water temp was 71C on the sounder and clarity was not good at a couple of feet tops although I have caught in worse.

Spent the morning and early afternoon fishing for Perch and Pike but although I managed a few plucky Perch that took a liking to my mini lures and boobies fished deep on a D7, the lack of wind to move the boat didnt help my piking and I blanked.

There were plenty of fish to be seen throughout the day in the flat calm but many of them seemed to be 'blowing bubbles' rather than feeding although I did notice a few flying ants in the boat so they mIght have been the culprits. I tried the usual approaches as evening arrived at Wick, Herons, Villice, Woodford and the dam but didnt get a sniff so came off early at 8.30. Sad

What may be of interest to any bankies out there is that the water depth just off Moreton Point and Nunnery Point is now around 3 feet so close to where wading is a possibility.. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, blondie
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Alan glad I cut the grass instead of travelling down - should BW not institute a catch and kill policy, with water temps at 22c any fish caught will probably die if returned,
Liked by: Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Chew wading Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
Tough day on Chew yesterday. Water temp was 71C on the sounder and clarity was not good at a couple of feet tops although I have caught in worse.

Spent the morning and early afternoon fishing for Perch and Pike but although I managed a few plucky Perch that took a liking to my mini lures and boobies fished deep on a D7, the lack of wind to move the boat didnt help my piking and I blanked.

There were plenty of fish to be seen throughout the day in the flat calm but many of them seemed to be 'blowing bubbles' rather than feeding although I did notice a few flying ants in the boat so they mIght have been the culprits. I tried the usual approaches as evening arrived at Wick, Herons, Villice, Woodford and the dam but didnt get a sniff so came off early at 8.30. Sad

What may be of interest to any bankies out there is that the water depth just off Moreton Point and Nunnery Point is now around 3 feet so close to where wading is a possibility.. Smile

Alan

And I thought that was a giant heron I saw there a few summer ago.Should be some sport if they get on the ants.Had some memorable days during ant falls in the past.One in particular was a big fall on upper Litton top end.Caught some splendid browns.Shame about the water colour but inevitable given the conditions.

Best JP
Liked by: Allrounder
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Al

Didn't see you out on Thursday or I'd have come over for a chat. I had a morning boat, more just to get out than with any real expectation. It started well enough. Lodge said some fish had been caught drifting from platform in mouth of Villace towards Woodford so I went & had a look but was put off by the amount of surface algae/general gunge. Found it was better around the cages & there was the occasional fish rising in the flat calm so I parked, cast team of nymphs & was somewhat surprised when all went solid & a nice silver 2.8 came to the boat. Spoon suggested it had been eating anything it came across, living or otherwise.

Nothing else for a while & cloud cover increased so I put out the dries. First cast, flies had just landed and one rolled over on the claret bits. Perfect. That was a smaller fish probably just under 2lb & went back & swam away strongly after a recovery spell in the net.

Sadly that was the total action for the session. I saw 1 other caught from a boat off nunnery point but I suspect most others would have struggled as well.
Liked by: Allrounder, JCP, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd take a chance on Chew yesterday with Jack Welshman in the hope that things might have improved but it wasn't to be. The Southerly wind meant there was a lot of green algae on the surface by the jetties and despite some cloud cover the water surface temperature averaged 21C all day. Sad

Due to the lack of wind we decided to target the Perch in the morning with fast sinking lines but it was hard going and we could only managed a couple of half pounders between us by noon. We then had a look around the dam basin where a few fish could be seen on the sounder near the bottom but we had no way of telling what they were, although the fish in mid water were probably trout. Jack also spotted a small shoal of Roach near the surface but we could only muster a pull each which was probably small Perch. It was very interesting to note how relatively shallow much of the area directly in front of the dam is before it briefly plunges away by the valve tower into 30+ feet as you cross the old river bed. Smile

From early afternoon the wind picked up so we had a look at the pike but it was nothing doing . I also tried for trout as evening arrived as I wanted some for the table, but the few fish that were rising in the morning had disappeared. I thought about going for them first thing but decided against it as keeping them fresh in a boat for 8 or more hours in air and water temperatures in excess of 70C+ would be a challenge to say the least. Then the first spots of rain arrived at around 7.30pm so we decided to give it best.

Hopefully the stormy interlude forecast for this weekend will give the lake a much needed freshening up! Smile

Until the next tide ... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Silver Invicta, arkle, tenet, lakefisher, JCP, BristolFlyer, blondie
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 30 foot water, could anyone tell me if you are allowed to use split shot on your leader on Bristol Waters? Cheers Very Happy
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Shot Reply with quote

Too late Shock Embarassed Thought it was all non-toxic nowadays ?

JP
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penultimate boat league match last night on blagdon. 7 fish won it. Second had 6 and two chaps with 5 got 3rd and 4 th split by the time they caught their fourth fish.
Mainly caught to inter or di3 lines with mini lures. All along the lawn and I the dam basin.
Cheers Mark.
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder, tenet, blondie
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday afternoon solo boat on Chew,, breezy too say the least. Found a little spot off morton where I could set a drift
So midge tip and nymphs with the occasional blob on point. Only one take and it threw the hook after a short fight. Tried villace joining others anchored up but even with an anchor I drifted quite fast!!! Then off to the airators where I had 2 very small fish about 1.4lb. No real take just hooked themselves before I had tightened the slack. I knew it would be challenging. On reflection as ever a gold head on point may have had better results. Plenty out trying but most finding it tough.
Liked by: Allrounder, tenet, blondie
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Ian. A result in very tough conditions. Very Happy

What was the water clarity like? Still poor? Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: