The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.fishskb.co.uk

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank 3 last night, fished just up from the pipe lovely ripple, clarity good and the weed not too bad.
Nothing doing however until 10 ish when a half decent rise took place I had one rainbow to a bobs bits but while unhooking managed to straighten hook on the net and too dark to tie on another so went back to 2nd rod which was set up with washing line but they were having none of it.
So must put my headlamp in the pocket for next time.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas, tenet, blondie, Allrounder, mc07fly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Mike and I have shared your pain many times although in my case it is usually a tangled leader that brings my fishing to a premature close. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
ravageagain
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blagdon yesterday for a morning boat.

Lots of fish around the boils and dam area. Most fish to black buzzer fished very slowly.

Tight lines

Adge
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder, mc07fly
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chew today with Alan , top of Villace holding fish . Small damsel booby , hopper popper , red holo db with jc and corixa . I had one beauty of 6lb 2 oz in very good condition . Kept some and released a few . Fish were feeding on large blood worm , corixa and olive buzzers of various sizes . Thanks again Alan great day !
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, blondie, mc07fly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed a great day and I thought we were going to empty the place in the morning. However as more boats arrived to share our little corner of paradise the fishing tailed off considerably, but not before Pete landed his 6lb 2oz cracker ... Cool

Tail on that! Shock Cool

We then decided to try pastures new including Herons, behind Denny, Walley and Woodford but we only saw one or two rising fish all afternoon and didn't get pull between us. After dropping Pete off at around 6pm due to his long journey home I went back out and had one more in Villice but they were very finicky and I only saw one fish move all evening. Normally I would have stayed to last knockings but as the wind showed no intention of dropping I gave it best and came off early at 8.30pm.

Many thanks to Pete for his company and sharing many anecdotes of times gone by. We will have to do it again sometime! Very Happy

Until the next tide ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Silver Invicta, arkle, blondie, mc07fly, tenet, JCP
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Blagdon Wed am 10th July Reply with quote

Back refreshed after a really good break.

Blagdon appears firmly in summer mode and (as Adge reported) the fish are becoming concentrated in the dam basin. The water level is now falling and is 2-3 ft off top water with the shoreline appearing at the top end which has become heavily weeded.

Four other boats quickly shot across the lake and anchored along the dam wall especially on the Bywash side...and they remained there all morning!

I decided to try and find a few elsewhere so worked my way along Cheddar and Pipe Bay where the sonar gave me some confidence that there were fish holding in about 12-14 ft just beyond the weed line. There was a light algae suspension but the water was pretty clear although now 21C.

I had some early success and returned a couple of nice fish well over 3 lbs and missed a couple of hard pulls. But as the sun rose higher things went very quiet with nothing showing and minimal fly life.

Just after my success I had also been entertained by one of the regular bank anglers who had expertly managed to net a similar sized rainbow through the weed at Cheddar. It was a patient and impressive effort taking the best part of ten minutes but I don't think he would have had much chance using my barbless hooks.
My two early missed pulls had been on 9.5 lb tippet and my success came after I changed to 7.5 lb. and only two flies but I it was touch and go with these beasties near the heavy weed.

So it has become a little tricky for the amateurs like me and the areas to find feeding fish have reduced but the fish are clearly still feeding in the better oxygenated water along the dam wall and into the basin and their condition remains fantastic so they put up a memorable scrap.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: Silver Invicta, tenet, Allrounder, blondie, arkle, JCP
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Chew July 10th Reply with quote

Really tough day.3 takes between us and they were all mine.2 fish boated and one real leviathan slipped the hook at the net after a really good scrap.Tried most areas except Villace which on reflection looks like a mistake but we could not buy a take other than in the dam basin.Did see a couple caught in Herons and a nice fish ''resting'' at the weigh station.Conditions not great as more sun than expected.Tried various floating line permutations but could not get dialled in.Really looking for some top of the water sport but was not to be on this trip.Maybe next time.

JP
Liked by: blondie, Allrounder, mc07fly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confidence was high as I drove down the A46 with wall to wall cloud cover, moderate breeze and humid then I arrived at Woodford Lodge. The clouds broke, the sun shone and the breeze picked up becoming quite brisk. Oh what joy.

Added to the world's carbon footprint in fishing the basin, north shore, picnic 2, Villice, Moreton, Stratford, Wick and finally Herons. Not ONE SINGLE PULL. So a blank and probably my worst result in 50 years of fly fishing. Water quality very good with about 6ft but slight turbidity on windward shore. Only saw 1 fish rise and didn't see a single fly hatch nor bird hawk .

Very few boats out and those that I saw didn't have any fish basses hanging over the side - likewise didn't see the banksmen in Herons or Wick catch.

All in all very disappointing and with Farmoor in the doldrums I might take up knitting Sad (only kidding)

Cheers - Doug

Edit: Farmoor 1 closed to fishing and Farmoor 2 is catch and kill only. Water temps are very high . Full marks for putting fish welfare as a high priority.
Liked by: mc07fly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard luck Doug. Sad

I never look forward to this time of year on the trout fishing calendar.

Alan
B.A.S.S.

MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chew today.

Different conditions to you Doug and JP.

Just insane. We had at least 6 fish to the boat at 5lb or over. The two I killed went a total of 10lb4oz on the scales. Many, many fish to 3lb plus.
Fish from Villice, Herons, Walley and the basin. Interest (and a pike) from Stratford. All to staright line or washing line nymphs (did not matter what pattern, they were not picky). Packed up early having been run ragged by a number of fish.

Good 6' of viz. Spooned fish corixae, buzzer, bloodworm, damsels and daphnia.

If you are out in good conditions don't go light on the string!

Mint day on what has to be one of the best venues in the country at the moment.
Liked by: lakefisher, Silver Invicta, arkle, tenet, JCP, Noob, Doombar, blondie, Allrounder, mc07fly
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: MarkS on Chew Reply with quote

Well I guess there are flyfishers and then there is the Phantom Nympher.Bet Simon is glad he went fishing with you.The day will take some topping even for you.

Luv Grandad Very Happy
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several sucessful morning boats so far this season with a couple of real gems among them I was due a tough one, and so it proved this morning.

Started well enough in that from the lodge there were a fair number of fish moving in the more or less flat calm, mainly out towards the cages. Once out there things went downhill. The fish that were topping wouldn't look at anything I threw at em, but close up I could see they were mainly splashy rises from small trout, possibly the fish let go from the family day.

Tried all the usual spots with nymphs both WL and straight, various damsels, bright glittery things, dries for a couple of spells and even the dreaded bung back around the cages for the last half hour. Total action was a strong pull in the corner of North Shore that came while I was having a swig of water and watching the black swan. Needless to say it didn't stick.

I wasn't alone in struggling. Spoke to a couple from another boat who had come in to cool down (did I mention it was very hot out there?) & they'd had no action at all. Similarly 2 chaps in the car park had come over from Blagdon having decided it was devoid of fish. Sadly I couldn't offer much by way of encouragement.

On the plus side, from the reports it's clear there are stonking fish out there to be caught if conditions are anything like reasonable. Wouldn't mind betting they'll go nuts tonight! Until next time.
Liked by: JCP, mc07fly, lakefisher, Allrounder, tenet
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Fri 12 July Reply with quote

Apologies for the late report.

A morning session at Blagdon last Friday. Only two other boats out on a bright warm morning with some broken cloud cover.... but I didn't care....it was still nice to be out again.

The water temp had now risen close to 22C and after three fruitless hours without a pull straight line or washing line nymphing all round the dam basin I was still enjoying myself....but a bit less!

So, without too much confidence, on went the slow inter with a well tested daphnia emerger on the point and a flashback PT on a single dropper. This combination has got me out of jail on many hot bright summer days on Blagdon. And, just to be sure, I sidled up to the main aerators by the outlet pipes and cast out.

As soon as the formerly top secret peach emerger with sunburst dyed pearl flashabou tail hit the water a finned young lady jumped on it .....followed by another one on my next cast. But I did have to let that one sink for a bit. Nothing special around 2 1/4 lbs I guess but I thought that they should be given another chance. So back they went.

I decided not to push my luck as I was beginning to get that rosy glow and it was not due to my usual late morning retiree intoxication.

So I headed back to the lodge and then home for a shower and a brief lie down! So I'm on for a hat trick on the first cast of my next visit.
Well, at least I have something extra to rekindle that feeling of excitement in the pit of my stomach.
Don't laugh, Dear Reader. It may happen to you one day.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: tenet, Silver Invicta, MarkS, BristolFlyer, arkle, lakefisher, Allrounder, JCP, Doombar
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: