The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Doombar report Reply with quote

Nice one Colin.Barbless are a godsend when you want to let 'em go.The Kamasan B110's on buzzer patterns are often the devil's own to get out keeping the fish in the water.Often ended up killing fish I would have returned.

Best JP
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Blagdon am Mon 11th June Reply with quote

First time out for a month due to the worst sort of unplanned family matters.

The morning weather pattern was as described by Doombar for Chew. You could feel that a major shift was on the way and the clouds were building.
The water temp is now 17C.

With a Northerly forecast I headed for Butcombe which was flat calm at that stage but no takers for the first hour or so. So back over to Cheddar with the wind picking up and found some nice fish in the corner of the dam tight in against the weeds. However after returning two of about 3lbs each they passed on the message and melted away.

Tried a few more Cheddar pitches but no joy and absolutely nothing hatching. As Doombar has described the wind was now picking up with a slightly chill edge so I scampered back to Butcombe and resumed Plan A.

The sheltered bay at Butcombe felt like a warm oasis and a perfect ripple saw my confidence return. But still nothing hatching.

Tried the shallower end first but couldn't interest the fish lying above the weed. So explored the deeper (11ft) water just out from the path shore and now found some willing takers. However once again it was hard to catch a second from a pitch. Yes, I know, but the drogue was lying in the car boot.
Anyway, fish came steadily to a GH HE fished F08 as slow as possible.

The size was smaller than earlier in the morning at Cheddar and averaged 2 1/2 lb but they fought surprisingly hard and looked in great nick. Possibly some of the latest recruits stocked in the last few weeks.

The air then suddenly became colder and some serious black clouds were gathering so I headed back to the Lodge just in time to... almost... avoid the worst of the first shower. Good to be back after them again although the rest of this week now looks pretty ordinary.

Best,
McFly
Liked by: JCP, Doombar, swampydick, Allrounder, tenet, arkle
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reports there guys, and nice to see the lakes are still fishing well. Hopefully the silver lining to the recent dark, rain laden clouds is that the water temperature will remain in the trouts comfort zone for longer the year. Very Happy

Doombar wrote:
I'm now a definite convert to proper barbless hooks which make life so much easier & having had several days out with them I'm confident I'm not losing any more than before.

It seems counter intuitive but that's the been my experience too and the experience of everyone I have spoken to who have tried hooks that are barbless by design. Barbed hooks with the barbs crushed are not the same as manufactured barbless hooks. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: JCP
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly seems to be the case Al. Even after carefully debarbing there's still a lump left that can get stuck in the gristlier bits of the mouth.

Other big benefit of proper barbless is the ease of getting hooks out of everything else. Nets, clothing etc. Haven't tried it on human skin yet & hope not to, but one of the cunning blighters on Monday ran under the boat & through the drogue ropes, snagging the top dropper which I was able to slip out & go on to land it. Not quite as simple or elegant as I just made it sound, but without barbless, little chance.
Liked by: Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted before on the subject of barbless and converted a few seasons ago using mostly Hanak and Fulling Mill hooks.

A corollary - whilst fishing the Thurso last week I managed to impale my thumb over the barb on a size 10 double. Thankfully the ghillie was conversant with the loop of nylon over the bend of the hook and pressed down and a sharp tug and all was well.

Here's a video of how it's done.

https://youtu.be/U3kSCeT9jH8
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Barbless Reply with quote

Probably Doug who wised me up.I found crushed barbs dropped a bunch of fish on the Bristol Lakes and Farmoor probably due to the insane behaviour of the trout.On the river not so noticeable but manufactured barbless for me.They do have a pronounced curve which helps I think whereas a crushed barb can just fall out.

JP
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I have noticed about manufactured barbless hooks is that they appear to have a longer point compared with the barbed version which seems to fully compensate for the lack of a barb. For example the two hooks below are both Fulling Mill Competition Heavyweights in barbed and barbless versions ...

I have also found the 'Grab Gape' style that JP refers to are also excellent although occasionally they can be surprisingly difficult to remove! Great hooks all of them. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.

tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said the winds would abate by mid afternoon, they said the rain would move north giving dry conditions, they are lying barstewards. Arrived for an afternoon boat on strict instructions that sailing would not commence before 1515 hours. Tackling up and 2 bedraggled druids appeared having fished on an all day ticket. "How did you do" I asked. The reply was somewhat unintelligible but the upshot was they had blanked. The wind was brutal so a bumpy trip into the shelter of Villice to join 4 or 5 other boats. 3 or 4 drifts across with the floater and only one stockie that punched way above its weight. Tried the inty but not a pull - MC was out with guests and he didn't seem to catch either. Moved around into Herons and on leaving the shelter of Nunnery am convinced I saw BristolFlyer hanging 5 on his surf board the waves were that big. Motored down to the shelter of the causeway and threw the hook out and fished without any confidence so motored up to the head of the foot(?) as the wind had finally abated somewhat and set a drift toward the oaks. Feeling more confident especially as the wind had swung more westerly so re-positioned the boat to drift along the shore behind Bobs house toward Moreton point when disaster struck. I thought my fly line was inboard but no it rapidly shredded around the prop and then what ensued was me hanging out of the end of the boat disentangling the rig. Line toast but the furled leader ok.
Re-positioned myself to continue the drift in what was now a gentle breeze and continued the drift with a nymph rig. A very strong take just of the old pontoon and a 3lb - 31/2lb fish was in the net. Further along and a very gentle take had me hooked up with something special. The fish was very strong and soon had me into the backing boiling subsurface 40 or 50 yards away. Finally netted what was a good 5lb fish that was fin perfect. The picture doesn't really do it credit:

Finished the drift without further incident and arrived at Moreton point and re-positioned to drift across the mouth of Herons. Twiddling away and another good pull and yet another very strong fish that had me almost into the backing which would have made 31/2lb - 4lb.

All too soon the whistle blew and was pleased to have the help of the ranger to disembark. The fish came to GRHE and green holo DB's on a floater. Very little fly life apart from millions of longhorn sedges and some caenis type fly. Didn't spoon any of the fish as I was under strict instructions not to bring any home as we had enough in the freezer so all were returned safely. The water quality, unsurprisingly, was a little murky although you could see into about 5ft with the chewing gum test. So 4 GOOD fish in not the best conditions is a result in my book.

Until the next time - Doug
Liked by: arkle, lakefisher, JCP, mc07fly, Doombar, swampydick
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Tenet On Chew Reply with quote

Belting fish Doug.Bet they scratched your itch Very Happy .

JP
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: C&R pics Reply with quote

Very well done, Doug!

I have rarely taken a decent pic of a rainbow (brownies better) when fishing solo on C&R. I think the problem is that there needs to be something else in the pic to give the fish some proportion and scale.

I now use a match carp landing net with a lightweight handle that pulls apart close to the net. I can then weigh the odd fish quickly by attaching digital scales and with a quick lift just out of the water.

Best,
McFly
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a result in my book too, Doug! Very well done! Cool

My hand hovered over the phone yesterday as I also considered taking an afternoon boat but I am more fortunate in living only 25 minutes away so when the wind still hadn't abated by 2pm I thought better of it. Sad

Latest weather forecast for the BRFFA Hidden Teams match on Chew tomorrow is for 15mph winds with a lot of South in it between 10am and 4pm. Fortunately I will be fishing from the bank. Wink

Alan
B.A.S.S.

tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:
That's a result in my book too, Doug! Very well done! Cool

My hand hovered over the phone yesterday as I also considered taking an afternoon boat but I am more fortunate in living only 25 minutes away so when the wind still hadn't abated by 2pm I thought better of it. Sad

Latest weather forecast for the BRFFA Hidden Teams match on Chew tomorrow is for 15mph winds with a lot of South in it between 10am and 4pm. Fortunately I will be fishing from the bank. Wink

Alan

You might need one of my Skagit fly lines. Very Happy Good luck to all who venture forth.
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived shortly before 7.00am on Sunday in driving rain for the BRFFA Hidden Teams bank fishers draw yesterday to find only two others brave enough to face the elements so the draw didn't keep us long before we were on our way. The wind at 7am wasn't too bad although it was forecast to strengthen as the day wore on so the plan was to try to get some fish early. I had a hunch that with the lakes fishing so well a lump or two could make the difference to the final weight so while my colleagues set off for Walley bank, I went in the opposite direction to Herons which has been producing a few better fish lately. Wink

I found I had the bank to myself so I set up a washing line with two DBs and an Olive Booby on a #7 floating line and after casting out across the wind I let it drift around , barely keeping in touch with the retrieve. Luckily I didn't have to wait long for my first pull which after a fiesty struggle turned out to be a what I was hoping for - a 4lb 4oz rainbow which took the damsel booby on the point. Not long after a flash near the end of my fly line signaled another take on my top dropper and soon I had another in the bag, this time a 2-3 stockie. Things were going even better than I hoped but as so often happens for me that was it at Herons, other than having the good fortune to meet Codfather, who had sought refuge after being blown off of Woodford. I fished on for a while with no more success so when the wind started to pick up further I decided it was time to move to Plan B. Wink

Plan B was to move to Wick which should offer more shelter from the prevailing wind so I bid farewell and 'tight lines' to Codfather around 11am to take my chances. There was a risk involved as Wick can be very busy in this wind but I was surprised and very relieved to find only two other anglers present, and one of those had just packed up! He told me he had 3 fish and had lost another 3, as had the other angler who was still fishing, so I decided to slip into his vacated swim next to the reeds by the bird hide. By now the wind had increased further creating a stain in the water but beyond that there was clear water and over the next 30 minutes I had one or two taps and stabs that didn't stick to give me hope before I lifted into a slow draw on my line that stripped the line through my fingers. This turned out to be a 5-2 Rainbow, my best fish so far this season, which took the olive Booby again. Things were certainly looking up and when I took my 4th fish shortly after on a Red Holo DB I had visions of completing my limit early but there is nothing like fishing to give you false hope! Rolling Eyes Laughing

As the afternoon drew on the wind, which had been challenging to say the least, stepped up another gear which made controlling the speed of my retrieve very difficult. It became obvious that they wanted it high in the water and really slow so the trick was to cast more upwind and retrieve towards you rather than across the wind which swung things around too fast, but the fish were there if you managed to get it right. I got it right a few more times but also lost 5 fish including 4 on the trot Embarassed before I netted my 7th and final fish with 20 minutes to go. I'd like to say that the lost fish were due to the very blustery conditions and rolling waves as I'm sure some were lightly foul hooked, but I'm also sure a lot of it was bad angling too. Laughing

Back at the weigh in both of the other bank fishers who fished Walley had done well, one catching his 8 fish limit with the other catching 7 which from memory gave them over 16lb each with 4 oz between them but fortunately my 7 fish bag weighed 19lb 8oz thanks to my two better fish. From the bank result it was clear that the lake had fished really well and that was confirmed by the the Hidden Teams result which took some time to calculate due to the number of fish and anglers involved. I'm sure that the results will be published in due course but from memory I believe there was only ounces separating the top teams, such was the quality of the fishing. Very Happy

Once again many thanks to the BRFFA Committee for the usual excellent organisation, Toby Merigan and Funky Flytying for sponsoring the event (and for my gift voucher for top bank weight Very Happy ), BWF for the truly exceptional fishing at the moment and to the Sailing Club for the after match dinner and refreshments.

That's the last of this years BRFFA matches with a bank section, although I may fish the Hidden Pairs on Blagdon from a boat this time. That will bring me crashing back down to earth again! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Until next time....

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, JCP, arkle, mc07fly, Bovver, swampydick, blondie
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Monday17th June Reply with quote

After all the recent impressive reports from Forumites at CVL I'm sorry to have to report a less than mediocre result at Blagdon this morning.

I got that sinking feeling upon arrival to find an empty car park and only one bank angler at Green Lawn.

I worked my way along pitches from Cheddar to past Rainbow Point as a very gusty SW wind gradually strengthened. The good news is that the water temp has now fallen to about 16C and the clarity has improved a lot from last week.
My method was to start with a washing line rig in a shallower pitch and then try deeper nymphs further out on a second rod out if no joy after 15 mins or so.

However.....only one to the boat by mid morning when three more boats came out and four bank anglers also appeared..... all at Green Lawn.

So I reworked my route back to Pipe Bay and took a couple more in the deeper water pitches but just couldn't crack it in the shallows where I could see fish above the weed on the Sonar but couldn't buy a pull. My trusty GH HE got me out of jail in the deeper pitches.

On my return run a couple of anglers had moved into the shallows at Pipe Bay and appeared to be finding a few so I clearly need to do some homework on my shallower water rigs.

I have booked a vacation from the end of this week so at least you will be spared further reading of reports of my not catching at Blagdon!!

Tight Lines,
McFly
Liked by: Bovver, tenet, arkle, Allrounder, JCP, swampydick
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Alan. Is that some sort of CVL Grand Slam?

Have been occupied doing other fun things recently, but managed a very short session on the tanks last night.

Arrived at around 7.30 and went for a walk before buying my ticket. Fish moving all over tank 3. Real slow head and tails (looked like the fish were almost wallowing in the same spot) everywhere. There was thick weed with algae all over the surface around stockie corner, and the far end of the tank had maybe 10 people lined up in clearer water.

2 was much quieter. Just the odd rise and only 2 other Anglers on the whole tank. Weed was in it's usual ring round the concrete sill and was inches below surface. Was clearly feeling misanthropic, so opted for solitude over fish numbers and set up on 2 at about 8.

Anyway, it turned into a half decent rise and I took 3 fish before finishing about half 9. Damsel on the point and diawl back on a dropper. Both took fish.

I had an effective method of stopping the fish diving into the weed. Once I hooked up, I ran up the concrete bank with my rod in the air applying maximum pressure. I hooked 3 and landed 3 so it worked well, but I did feel somewhat Basil Fawlty-esque galloping up and down, so perhaps not great for the dignity.

Put waaay more stick on the fish than I normally would. Was quite an eye opener how quick you can get them in if you do that. Had an overwintered 3.5 pounder come over the weed fairly easily.

Bumped into Bernie in the car park who was saying good things about the dry fly sport on 3. He'd had 4 and lost loads more in the weed. Said it was the best season he could remember on the reservoirs. High praise indeed.

Had a load of snails in the sink after cleaning my fish Confused
Liked by: tenet, swampydick, Bovver, Allrounder, mc07fly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 19 of 23

Jump to: