The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Farmoor 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Mayfly Reply with quote

Vulgatta probably Doug on stillwater. Danica on the river.Vulgatta are much darker than their cousins.Good you enjoyed some sport.As you say water temps climbing too fast.Could be another tough season.
Hopefully not of course.

JP
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My First Farmoor 2019 blank today Sad
I arrived at 2 and fished till 4 without a sniff of a fish but saw a few fishing moving on No1, so took a break until about 5.15.
On my return there were a lot of fish moving in the ripple but I could not tempt them with nymphs, buzzer, dries, washing line and lure.
At 7 the rain started to threaten so I made a dash for the car and missed a big down pour then headed for home.
P
Liked by: JCP
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Farmoor Reply with quote

Liked the post for honest appraisal.Lot of ''uncatchable'' fish moving in the ripple reads like feeding on daphnia ?

Best JP
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayfly Reply with quote

JCP wrote:
Vulgatta probably Doug on stillwater. Danica on the river.Vulgatta are much darker than their cousins.Good you enjoyed some sport.As you say water temps climbing too fast.Could be another tough season.
Hopefully not of course.

JP

The mayflies that come off the Thames are Vulgata. When we were doing the fish population surveys on the river at night in July there would be clouds of them hatching off. They were attracted to the lights of the electric fishing boat we used.
blueflyingtonight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished Sunday evening. Quite a few anglers out who had done well in the morning but the fish seemed to have switched off later on. I started a 5.30 p.m. and didn't see a fish rise until 7.30 p.m. Hard going. Two on the Diawl Bach and a couple late on on dry elk hair sedge. Dropped to a flat calm. Lots of sedges and caenis lifting off but the rise was sporadic at best.

Steve
Liked by: JCP, Fryfishing
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a day of gusty winds at Farmoor yesterday 14th June, I arrived early afternoon and took my time before starting to fish. I dropped in at the west end of the causeway on No1 which seemed the best option for wind direction, comfort and casting. There were also fish on the move in front of me and two anglers who were catching fish so game on.
I tried buzzers but no joy, then with a hint from the angler next door the washing line was hung out. This produced a rise and take to the big dry on the point, my next fish which was the biggest so far in 2019 came to a DB on a dropper.

I was then joined by Wylye and he set off along the causeway to find a spot.
The fishing then changed as the fish were up in the surface so switching to dry fly produce more takes and fish but I could not catch them consistently.
People moved on and Wylye moved up next to me and then found the method and started to catch but I could not get them to come to the flies I selected Confused
We packed in at 8.30 and may have missed some action as the wind seemed to be dropping.

Unfortunately that was not the end for me as my car broke down on the way home and I did not get back to Watford until 2.30 and now fanced with a hefty repair bill.
Sad
Liked by: tenet, JCP, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report Peter - I was on Chew yesterday and it did blow. Do you know how F2 fished. Difficult to get any reports from management whereas they should be keeping the punters fully informed. Sad

Hope the car repairs ain't too painful.
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw fish being caught by car park one as I drove around and there were anglers over that side all afternoon which tends to suggest they were catching as you always see a fleet of locals leaving No2 if its not fishing.
There are some major sailing and other events taking place at the weekend on N02 so worth avoiding at the weekends June.
Thanks
P
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Peter didn't mention was the we couldn't buy a take on nymphs. Very odd.

Shame about the car, Peter. What was the problem?
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the nymphs were completely ignored, apart from the big un on a DB & washing line.

The car Sad a diesel injector packed up, £630 to replace just the one, time for a new car.

P
Silver Invicta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: F2 23rd June Reply with quote

Hi all , I have not been fishing lately ( sprained ankle and holiday ) . Club outing on sunday F2 . Very busy lake and car park ( regatta ) . This did not interfere with the fishing . I think that most of our club members caught ( bank or boat ) . I opted for a boat ( unsure of ankle stability on sloping bank ) Lots of offers , takes , long range releases and fish in the bass . Washing line with a fiery brown hopper popper on the point , diawl bachs on droppers ( various guises ) in the morning session . Afternoon takes dried up a little , went on dries ( fiery brown hopper most successful ) , I had very few positive takes ( out of the blue ) however if a fish was spotted and covered straight away the takes were quite severe .

Unfortunately a good day was spoilt with the A34 living up to its reputation , what is generally a 1 hour 20 minute drive was extended to nearly 3 hours to get home . At least my dinner was not in the dog when I eventually got home !

PS . Spooned fish showed a good mixture of foodstuff , green buzzers ( various sizes ) , daphnia , bloodworm , small dark snails , and some adult fly .
Liked by: tenet, JCP, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lake now - very little interest- had a couple to dries but gone ver quiet
- hope things pi I up

_
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Silver Invicta.
I have come to the conclusion that no1 & no2 fish better in the mornings at the moment.
Talking to other bank anglers on my last couple of visits they had all had a good result in the morning only for it to slow right down as the afternoon wore on.
The evening rise has also been taking place but the fish have been uncooperative.
P
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for scrambled post but it was too bright to see the screen.
Took a solo boat this afternoon - arrived to a flat calm but on motoring across to the SW corner espied a couple of rises. Out with the dries and after a few casts a lovely head and tail rise and the 1st was in the net. Visions of a trout fest but not to be. Stuck with the dries and had numerous abortive rises notwithstanding changing pattern and size. Ended up with 2 to dries and 2 to nymphs. Only one other boat out and they struggled boating 7. Very few banksmen but a couple of regulars did ok on wl and size 16 nymphs. Just goes to show. Water quality very good with about 10ft visibility , some floating green algae. Perhaps the comp and regatta at the weekend put the fish down. until the next time. - Doug
Liked by: JCP, Allrounder
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some crackers coming out of F2 notwithstanding the hot weather. Away for a few days but will get out again later next week.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=892801401063881&id=186140178396677&set=pcb.892801441063877&source=48
Liked by: Allrounder
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Catch and Fishery Reports - All Disciplines -> CFF Members and Guides Catch Reports -> Fly Fishing Stillwaters Catch Reports All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: