The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com/

Large Mouth Bass in Vermont

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fryfishing
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Large Mouth Bass in Vermont Reply with quote

I have just returned from another trip to see my friends in Vermont before they sell up and move back to the UK. Of course one of the main reasons to go is the wealth of Bass fishing in the local ponds, lakes and reservoirs plus to opportunity to fish for trout in the snow melt rivers.
After the flight to help with jet lag I had an overnight stay outside Boston which was close to a massive Bass Pro shop in Foxboro, so it would be rude not to go and spend some money.
I had purchased my fishing licence on line so I could get started once in Vermont. Jet lag and light early mornings meant I was wide awake by 5am so off I went to chase the largemouth and small mouth bass.
The fishing was brilliant, on most sessions I was catching 20 plus bass and more on some occasions. They are not big fish most that I caught were between a pound and a half to two pound. Just imagine going out perch fishing with the same sort of results.
I also had great success fishing for them with the fly rod; one of the ponds was on a golf course which meant there were no issues with the back cast. My fist session with the fly rod started as a bit of practice casting without any expectation of fish. I tied on a woolly bugger made a couple of casts and saw the front of the floating line dip, must be in the weed I thought but it was fish on.
The fly fishing in the river for stocked and wild trout was a real learning curve and challenge. It involved a weighted big fly (6 long shank) plus a shot or two depending where we fished and a sink tip line. I did manage to catch some fish and lose some as well.
It was a great experience just being somewhere where you go out and expect to have a good days lure fishing. I will go back to the same area of Vermont as I now have knowledge of places and tactics for the bass and trout.

Link

Thanks
Peter
Liked by: tenet
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Lure Fishing Discussion -> Lure Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: