The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Elinor Spring Social 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Social Events -> Social Events and Fishing Partners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Moray
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

springwell wrote:
"Wonder what the weather will be like. Twisted Evil

It all makes sense now!!!
I've seen that Avengers film, "Stormbreaker" that axe was called ----- you're Thor!! Laughing

Hope things are well Bill,
Tony
Liked by: springwell, lakefisher
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fantastic weekend, Thank you to all that attended and made the weekend what it was! A special mention must go to Nigel for the organisation and also to Kevin, Mick & Tim and anyone else who picked up the tongs for cooking for everyone.
The fishing once again proved to be good albeit frustrating see just how many fish were in the lake that weren't interested in anything artificial. It was nice to finally have a day in the boat with Alan on Friday... Still can't believe after all these years of socials we'd never fished together. What a day that turned out to be... although Alan was very unlucky with the Pike in the morning he made up for it in the afternoon and evening with the trout! personally I managed a tally of 13 all to dries (either Black or Olive Shuttlecocks or Claret Bobs Bits). The icing on the cake was witnessing what was probably the best evening rise I've seen that lasted well into the darkness. Saturday from the bank in those conditions proved a bit more tricky but I still managed 10 over the course of the day either on Black shuttlecock or Holo Red or Olive Diawl Bachs the total could have been quite a bit higher having lost 2 fish right at the net and having been snapped 4 times.... bad knots or bad luck god only knows Shock.

Generic Boat Shot:

Fridays Camp Site:

Bob sipping on the Ladies Drink:

Micks alcoholism rearing it's ugly head... note the drink in each hand!:

Usual Friday Night Food with Mick Rimmer bansihed to the old cow shed out the way there no nasty vegetables to taint this BBQ!

Alan into his last fish Friday evening at 9pm... yes it really was that dark...

Mick Rimmer relieving himself in Bobs vintage Pile Cushion:

A few more generic Elinor photos:

John G enjoying the last of the light Saturday evening:
Liked by: Allrounder, RogB, lakefisher
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great pics there, Paul! Very Happy

Well that's another Elinor Social over and another one that didn't disappoint. There are some reasonable pike in Elinor but once again they managed to evade my clutches although I did managed one that was only marginally larger than the fly I was using and I lost a much better fish and had a follow from another but they were smaller than the 'double' I was hoping for. However on the plus side the dry fly fishing and the evening rise on Friday night as Paul has already mentioned was the best I have experienced for a number of years. In fact it was so good that we suspected that some of Paul's takes as the light faded were double hook ups, such was the ferocity of the response when setting the hook. Cool

Saturday was a much sunnier and hotter day but the fish were still happy to take a well presented dry although as to be expected I found the sport a little slower that the previous day. However it was good to share a boat with Andrew who hadn't done much dry fly fishing before although he didn't take long to sort things out and catch himself a few fish too. That's what makes Socials so special - sharing knowledge and improving your game. Talkiing of games, here was a 'certain game' on Saturday night which meant I would have to reluctantly miss the evening rise but unlike last season things turned out better for my team. Just a shame that someone has to lose but in my case I paid for it by missing the evening rise. Sad

I usually leave on Sunday morning but as I was still feeling the effects of the night before I decided to fish instead and leave later in the afternoon. My game plan was to explore some new areas for pike but the wind was so strong and the weed so thick that the anchor sat on top the weed and wouldn't hold so I decided to find a more sheltered area and fish the dries. That turned out to be a very good idea. I had noticed fish consistently moving in a bay and after setting the anchor in a weedless sand bar it wasn't long before I got my first offer which I duly missed. However it didn't take long to get my first fish and from then on there were only a few short periods when I didn't get at least an enquiry although hooking and holding on to them was a different matter. I ended up at 4pm with 18 to the boat from around 1-8 to 3lb with many lost fish due to bullying them to the net to aid their safe C&R . Successful flies were Bob's Bits and Klinkhamers although the Claret or Olive Bits did the most damage. Wonderful sport and well worth the journey up from Somerset to enjoy! Cool

Many thanks to Nigel and the team for organising another cracking weekend and to those who turned up to make it so special. I'm looking forward to Elinor 2020 already! Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: lakefisher
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> CFF Social Events -> Social Events and Fishing Partners All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: