The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Blagdon Fri 10th May Reply with quote

A gentleman's start today at 10am. I fear my alarm clock may be from the same stable as Doombar's waterproof pants.

And did I have a problem parking? Well, not exactly. Only five cars. No doubt punters have been beguiled by a replenished and rampant Chew Lake.

But your correspondent has never been deterred by reality. So into the fray we went. First thing to note is that my water temp measurement indicates about 15C which a lot higher than the 8-9C reported by BWF. But no matter. The sonar now shows the fish to be well dispersed so I set up the stall in Pipe Bay and tried quite a number of pitches over about three hours.

The only boat reasonably close off Cheddar had been doing well and they reported fish taking green buzzers. However I don't think the only bank angler at Cheddar had so much as a sniff all morning.

I accumulated gradually on both the GH HE and a couple of DBs..claret and peacock green all fished slow and deep and I returned to the pavilion after releasing seven just before 2pm. I met a new ranger in the car park who said that they had added "some" new stock on Thursday and I saw all the other boats were huddled together in Long Bay.

But I was happy enough....more like old times really and the end of my extraordinary purple patch, I think.
The fish were all a good stamp at around 2lb 10 oz to 2lb 12oz and I was richer by two buzzers (black!) removed from the noses of two of my temporary recruits...so a win-win morning I think...and back almost to normal times.

Now, to buy a proper alarm clock.

Until the next tide,
McFly
Liked by: arkle, tenet, Allrounder, JCP
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great reports and advice there, guys! Keep 'em coming! Cool
Doombar wrote:
Oh, and my new waterproof trousers failed miserably. Buy cheap, buy twice. When will I learn.

I share your pain, Colin, although I have bought expensive and still suffered from 'wet bum' syndrome when sat in a boat during the rain. Sad

In the end I went for non angling branded workwear which is advertised as waterproof and breathable and mostly is, although I still get 'wet bum' syndrome. However at £20 delivered I can live with it. Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading reports from both JH's an eagerly anticipated trip to Chew was arranged for yesterday afternoon. The wind was from the NNE and somewhat cold so the thermal vest was a great afterthought. Lots of boats out with Woodford holding about 8 all anchored so our first drift was across false island. Floating line and nymphs but not a touch. Motored across toward East Shore and worked our way down to Wick on a diagonal drift into the shore - not a touch. Think I saw Alan and Tony anchored about 200m from the end of Denny but whoever was at the pointy end was well covered up.
Motored over to Moreton but from the clear water of East shore encountered lots of green suspended algae so took a trip into Herons and threw the Hook near the Oaks. Not a pull. Motored out and saw a banksman on the rocks catch so we anchored lodge side of the spit off the willows. Finally Pino had a smash take and a c4lb bright 'bow arched through the air with his fly but no longer attached to his leader. Bollox

My turn next and a 4lb Jack was netted followed by a couple of bite offs and another small pike of about 6lb. Time to move and time was moving on. The wind had died and the lake was mirror calm so we gently drifted between the cages as Woodford was still crowded but the Jetty full of tethered boats from folk having early baths (or so we thought). Finally called it a day about 8.15 to be greeted by a friendly ranger who told us that North shore, Walley and Woodford were the places to be and many had bagged up. Bollox again.

We had tried floaters, nymphs, small lures, big lures, Inty's, and di3's on our journey for the sum total of 2 pike, 1 pull and 1 boil as I was lifting off. Only saw 2 or 3 fish show during the afternoon and the only fly life were tiny (caenis size) bugs and long horn caddis which never seems to garner much interest from the trout. Managed to get to the Salt and Malt for a box of chips and an uneventful journey back to Stroud.

Always enjoy Pino's company as we have been friends for 40 years or more and I introduced him to fly fishing all those years ago. He has joined the Farmoor Angling club that used to fish F1 prior to TW taking it over. They now lease a water nearby called Darlow and my next trip will be there sometime next week.

Cheers - Doug
Liked by: mc07fly, Allrounder
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug. Sorry to hear you had a tough day. I've not had my usual morning boat this week so couldn't report.

Did manage 4 hours on Thursday morning on the bank at Woodford. Pleasant early (just after 6 so not that early) & a couple of nice fish in the first hour but then the NE breeze that had been putting a gentle bow in the line started blowing a bit and while I changed to slowest inty to try to keep flies in the zone & felt it was all fishing nicely, sadly the fish didn't agree. Distinct lack of insect life, prob due to a bit of a cool edge to the breeze.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
Think I saw Alan and Tony anchored about 200m from the end of Denny but whoever was at the pointy end was well covered up.

My turn next and a 4lb Jack was netted followed by a couple of bite offs and another small pike of about 6lb. Doug

Nice report there Doug, although that wasn't Tony and I anchored up as we were drifting on a drogue all session. It is also a bit disconcerting that we went out loaded for bear ... sorry pike ... with bespoke pike kit ably assisted with a good echo sounder and you still caught better fish than we did! Rolling Eyes Laughing My report can be found in the fly pike section. Very Happy

These days Tony likes to beat the evening traffic in Bristol so after dropping him off at 4pm and swapping my pike kit for my trout gear I was ready to go back out. I was advised in the car park that Woodford was fishing well and a cluster of boats suggested this was correct but rather than play dodgems I decided to try False Island to start with but I had the same result as Doug. Sad

Warren (Cornish Stalker) and a group of friends from Cornwall were also fishing the lake and a text suggested he was catching at North Shore so I decided to have a look myself. A bank fisherman was in the corner by Picnic Area 2 so I set up a couple of drifts from the other end out into the lake but not a touch so as time was going on I decided it was time to look at Woodford for the last few hours. On the way back I noted 3 or 4 boats fishing the False Island but never thought anything of it, other than they were likely to blank! Laughing

When I got to Woodford a couple of boats were in position with two or three bank anglers fishing but I noted that my 'get out of jail' place just past where the wood starts was unoccupied so I decided to get in while I could. Wink

Due to the wind direction the water was flat calm (to start with) but I elected to drop the hook anyway in order to maintain my position about 40 yards off shore ( bank anglers cannot fish here) . As advised by the chap I met earlier in the car park I had a buzzer and a Red DB on the droppers but I swapped the FAB for one of my small black boobies on the point and that fly proved to be what they wanted. My best fish went 4-7 on the scales and I released another 7 before keeping a final fish weighing 3-8 so a fantastic way to end the day. The successful tactic was to cast towards the shore, retrieve as slowly as possible and to lift into any abnormal line activity as very few takes pulled the line. Most of the takes were simple 'stops' in the retrieve.

Back in the car park John Harris asked me if I had got his text which was advising boats that there was a hatch taking place on the False Island? I hadn't because I was 'otherwise engaged' but it explains why there were so many boats there as I motored past in the evening. Top marks to John for helping his customers to catch fish. Very Happy

Until the next tide ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: JCP, Bovver, Doombar, lakefisher, mc07fly
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Alan - teach me for being perverse and not joining the crowds. My pike seemed to like Damsel fly nymphs with red dumbbell eyes tied on a size 12 hook. Pino had 3 bite offs and a jack which he lost. Not happy as they were the last humungus flies in his box. Laughing
Liked by: Allrounder
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenet wrote:
pike seemed to like Damsel fly nymphs Laughing

LMRHO......! They like a Damsel alright Doug. If fishing for pike it think that's the best option..., ditch the half parrots....!

My good friend Myles was on Blagdon in a solo boat yesterday. I managed to manipulate workload and get out to join him late in the day for an evening boat. Great to get to the lake and find the elver project at the end of a busy day. Brilliant to see this level of work going on to try and improve things.

The boat fishing was also very busy. Chatted to two gents that were just packing up and had hit limits plus a couple. Interesting to see the note on lack of fly at Chew. Blagdon was buzzing. Sedge, midge, buzzer and the biggest and most prolonged hatch of pond olives I think i have ever seen down there. There were at least two hobby's filling their faces as I stood in front of the lodge anticipating getting on the water.

Myles had had two fish, both full of corixae. So we set off up the top end Hobby's in tow. Fish there, moving and taking nymphs. Should have put up the dries but was too lazy to do so. Had a fish to the buzzer set up that has been doing the business this year but the leader now at least three sessions old gave at the dropper knot....

With fish moving I set up a nymph rig with a competition flash back damsel on the point. Diawl/PTN/HE on the droppers. Fish early on to the damsel. Then later in the drift a tight line but no thump or jag in the fight, just a dull, solid weight, bending the 10' 7wt almost in half. Did not take esox long to sever the tippet. The number of green backs in the two lakes with my damsels in their chops......... They are barbless so not for too long I hope.

The wind dropped to nothing and we were left with a sheet of glass. Toured Butcombe and Polish and the front of the lodge for a couple more fish, one on the bung.
Shame as a ripple may have seen a good end.

Fair amount of suspension in places but good areas clear. Insect for ever more. Fish full of buzzer, corixae mainly.
Nice to be out.

Up north for wild fish tomorrow....
Mark.
Liked by: JCP, arkle, Allrounder
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Blagdon. Reply with quote

Leprechaun time then Idea Laughing Laughing Laughing . Have a good session on the Wildies Of The Tarn Mark.

Best Grandad Cool
Liked by: mc07fly
codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan I was fishing at the end by the woods. Was that You who was asked by someone in one of the other boats if You had caught 20. I caught 8 mainly on Diawl Bachs. I think I lost a few Flies on your anchor rope, either that or it was fish Very Happy Very Happy You say Your takes were mostly gentle, I was getting snapped up or losing droppers on the take. I had to step up to 8lb single Fly to reduce breakages. What line does everyone use when the fish are hitting Nymphs hard.
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
tenet wrote:
pike seemed to like Damsel fly nymphs Laughing

LMRHO......! They like a Damsel alright Doug. If fishing for pike it think that's the best option..., ditch the half parrots....!
Mark.

Oh if only it was that simple Mark, but I've tried it but found that the regulation 40lb BS wire trace rather spoils the presentation! Laughing

codfather wrote:
Alan I was fishing at the end by the woods. Was that You who was asked by someone in one of the other boats if You had caught 20. I caught 8 mainly on Diawl Bachs. I think I lost a few Flies on your anchor rope, either that or it was fish Very Happy

Not sure if that was me, Codfather. Confused I didn't get there until after 6pm and although I was fishing only 40 yards from the bank , it would have taken a very long cast to the right to catch my anchor rope. Laughing When were you fishing? Smile

On the subject on tippet strength, I never go lower than 0.21mm fluorocarbon or 8lb in Sightree G3 / 9.5lb in Riverge Grand Max for nymphs and pulling on the Bristol reservoirs. For dries I find 0.20mm Gigafish Ultra Power copolymer at 0.20mm /9.9lb BS to be superb as long as you remember to rub it down with Ledasink compound. Smile

Hope this helps

Alan
B.A.S.S.

codfather
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan I was on the bank at the end of Woodford. Were You near 2 other boats. One of the Guys stopped fishing and the other carried on. Why do Trout hit Nymphs
so much harder than Lures? Doesn't make sense. I think I will take Your advice and step up My Tippet strength, I usually go down to 6lb G3 in clear water. Thanks
Allrounder
5,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was probably me then. The other two boats further down from me were were Cornish Stalker and his mates from Cornwall who I invited to move nearer to me in the hope they would share my good fortune. Smile

codfather wrote:
I think I will take Your advice and step up My Tippet strength, I usually go down to 6lb G3 in clear water. Thanks

6lb? I think you are very brave! I used to fish 7lb Riverge and found that too light when they were in a fiesty mood. Stronger tippet also assists with C&R as you can get them in and out of the net quicker. Wink

Re lost droppers ... I have a theory about why at certain times they hit nymphs so hard they rip your dropper off. I have only personal anecdotal evidence and others may disagree, but here goes .... Laughing

In my experience when you have a combination of good water clarity, optimum water temperature and a pod of feeding fish in front of you they will often compete with each other to grab food items. This can result in them charging up and grabbing your fly and then swimming off quickly in search of the next food item before another fish in the pod gets it first, resulting in a 'smash' take and sometimes a lost dropper.

But why does your dropper break so easily, given the strength of your tippet? The best way to demonstrate this is to grasp a length of ordinary cotton in both hands and slowly pull it apart until it snaps. You will find it is surprisingly strong. Then take the same cotton and quickly pull it apart in a snatching motion and it breaks as 'easily as cotton' as the saying goes. In fishing terms the fast 'take' causes the snatch effect and the dropper breaks at the weakest point which is the knot, especially if your rod to pointing toward your flies so it cannot cushion the take.

Can I prove this? Nope, but unless someone has a better suggestion it is the best answer I have! Laughing

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: mc07fly
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Tippet Reply with quote

Use the strongest for diameter fit for purpose especially if using powerful rods and low/non stretch fly lines.I pre make looped droppers and loop around tippet wet and slide up against Fig 8 stop knot.I recall my resurgence into Reservoir fly fishing after a long lay off due to a nomadic life.Bob was at the helm and I went into the shop and bought a spool of good quality fluorocarbon tippet.I went to pay and think it was one Martin Burgess on the desk said to me ''you're not planning to go out there with that are you'' [i] Embarassed Shock.A eureka moment indeed.

JP
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was wondering, if anyone uses the small silver/stainless rings these days ?
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: rings Reply with quote

Still use the rings where feel there is an advantage.If reference to reservoir dropper rigs I did try it but found more tangle prone.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 17 of 28

Jump to: