The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://fishskb.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=146

Bristol Water Reservoirs 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get out for the second time in a week today Very Happy

Set off down to Chew as I haven't fished it this year. Bought my ticket in the lodge and headed out for the North Shore. Arrived at 5 to find one other angler there, fished for 45 minutes, didn't see a single rise, and the other chap seemed to be changing flies a lot. It just felt a bit flat.

Blow this! I suddenly thought. Tank 2 here I come!!! Razz

Back to the car, and over to the tanks (possibly rather faster than I should)...jogged down the bank of 2 towards the East end and could see a few rises. Chucked out the standard buzzer/DB combo and...whack! Fish first cast! These stockies had clearly read Trout 101 because they were rising in little pods swimming straight against the ripple. I was watching them come down the roadside bank and chucking the flies in front of them. You could tell when you were about to get hit (3-2-1....thump!). Really enjoyed it.

After 2 very quickly on the buzzer, I took the DB off the dropper and replaced it with a buzzer, at which point, the next two hit the dropper, so it does seem like they were selective.

It hadn't taken long to get the four, and I felt like I wanted a bit of a change, so went over on tank one and threw gaudy lures on a sinker to no avail for a bit. Bumped into Bovver out on a scouting session and we had a chat. No rises other than an absolutely massive brown that head and tailed about sixty metres out (just to remind me that I haven't caught one yet)

Stopped on the walk back to chat to a guy fishing at the other end of Tank 2 roadside to where I had been. He'd also been hauling them out, While I was there I saw the most ridiculous pod in front of him. Maybe 15 or 20 fish all working up the wind head and tailing together Shock

Anyway, in summary each end of Tank 2 roadside is still absolutely loaded with obliging fish. Everyone said they were fishing buzzers.

Also in summary I know I should have stayed on Chew and been all Zen and meditated on the Pastoral Beauty of it all, but frankly I don't have the moral fibre to resist the thought of pods of stockies parading up and down showing a bit of ankle.

Got into the car to drive home and the radio was playing "Chasing Rainbows" by Shed Seven. Very appropriate!
Liked by: Bovver, Allrounder, BristolFlyer, tenet, blondie, Doombar, arkle, swampydick, mc07fly
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom.

Blagdon today for me from the boat. Same set up as Chew last week. Black buzzers straight lined off a full floater. Excellent fishing only bettered by emergers being visibly sipped from the surface. Top end, static and hang on.......! Quality fish, all gone back so no spooning. First view of an Osprey down here for me.
Cheers, Mark
Liked by: JCP, BristolFlyer, tenet, Allrounder, blondie, Doombar, swampydick, mc07fly
MarkS
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat league last night on Chew. Very well run and Chew fishing really well. Full credit to Andrew on organisation and to BW for providing the excellent fish and the Stoke Inn for pizza and chips. 20 out I think with average just over 5 fish. Fish well spread and taken to differing methods. Water clarity great. Buzzer hatching in profusion.
Mark
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an afternoon boat on Chew today but I didn't do as well as the Evening League lads last night. Sad

I set out at around 3pm in a lovely ripple and decided to have a look at the eastern side of Wick. Clarity was excellent at around 8 foot although due to the bright sun and cloudless sky I decided to set up an intermediate as well as a floater to enable me to fish my nymphs a little deeper. I started drifting over deeper water for the first couple of hours with both the intermediate and floater with buzzers, DBs, Tadpoles and Crunchers but there was nothing doing so when I saw a solitary fish move closer in by the reeds I decided to move closer and drop the hook .

I had high hopes to start with but nothing interfered with my nymphs on the intermediate until I decided to replace the DB on the top dropper with a Blob and this resulted in my first pull but unfortunately the fish threw the hook. A few casts later I saw another fish come out of nowhere and have a go at the Blob in the clear water but it didn't stick and that was it for a while. I then tried a few drifts down below Wick into Stratford but that didn't work and as time was now fast moving towards the 7.50pm curfew, I decided to go back to where I started to the East of Wick for the last hour as at least I knew there were some fish there. Wink

As the sun was going down I elected to fish the floater alternating Crunchers and a Tadpole on the point with DBs on the droppers but nothing was working. In desperation I changed the point fly to a Tequila Blob and .. you guessed it! ... I got a savage pull on the next cast but unfortunately the fish spat the hook out while doing a great impersonation of a Polaris missile. Then just as I had concluded that it wasn't going to be my evening I got the gentlest of takes and after a short battle my blank was saved by a 2-8 Stockie that once again ignored my 'proper' flies .... and took the Blob instead ! Laughing

I thought the idea of including a Blob on your cast when fishing nymphs was to pull the fish in who would then take your nymphs, but obviously the fish hadn't got the memo. Not that I'm complaining! Laughing

Until next time ...

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
Liked by: tenet, lakefisher, swampydick, arkle, mc07fly, Thomas Tom-Thomas, blondie
Doombar
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning boat on Blagdon yesterday, looking for some of Marks 'cast out and hang on' sport at Top End. Turned out it was not to be, possibly due to the cold N/NE breeze. Very little fly life & no interest at all to nymphs or brighter stuff on floater, slime or D3 despite trying all over Top End. Half a dozen other boats around but I only saw one fish caught & that was from one that had anchored in the middle, suggesting fish probably deep.

By about 11.00 I was bored & uncomfortable so decided to have a look in Butcombe, thinking at least it would be a bit less unpleasant. Turned out to be a good move. Different world altogether, much warmer, buzzers coming off and fish being caught. Several other boats about but everyone was on the drogue & being sensible & considerate which was needed in the variable gusts. I kept 2, lost a couple & returned 4, all around 2.4 to 2.12 & very good conditioned fish. Successful fly was the simple black buzzer - every fish took it on the middle dropper, ignoring the DBs on top & point.
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, MarkS, mc07fly, Thomas Tom-Thomas, swampydick, blondie
mc07fly
100 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Blagdon week 7th April Reply with quote

A couple of very chilly morning (Mon & Thurs) sessions last week. The frost warning light was glowing on both mornings as I arrived in the car park and on Thursday it also informed me it was 0C.

To further cheer me up the water temp had fallen slightly from last week and the viz was about 8ft.

Undaunted your correspondent was the first to leave the dock on each day and my decision to take gloves and a neck roll warmer for the ride to the Top End was a good one for this old timer!

My set up was the same as in previous weeks with a GH nymph on the point and a single dropper about 6ft away with a #12 black DB nymph.
All tethered to a 6wt floater.
However this time I started in deeper water at 11 ft and found fish even deeper at 13 ft.

A slow start followed on both mornings with a highlight of watching the only other early angler on Thursday subdue an affronted 20lb plus pike.

On both days the fish started to feed properly and deep at about 10.30 am and then switched off by about 12.30 pm.
I gather that the pattern is now burst feeding on and off through the day.

They averaged about 2lb 10oz with a number between 3lbs and 3lbs 8oz.. On Monday most took the small GH point nymph after a drop of about 40 secs. On Friday all without exception took the DB after a long drop of 70 secs.
On each morning the retrieve was as slow as possible with a few tweaks to induce a lunge, My final fish on Friday was my 100th of this Season taken over six morning sessions and is certainly my best start to any Trout Season since 1977!!

I haven't seen a cormorant damaged fish yet and their overall condition has been outstanding. I've been using 8lb plus fluoro and heavy weight hooks. With my technique anything much lighter for deep nymphing would be inviting disaster.

It takes a bit to get this old'un excited these days but I have been re-energised by the fishing over the past month and have even started some serious fly tying again to seek a few variants rather than depleting the ancient stock box.

Happy Days! Very Happy
McFly
Liked by: arkle, tenet, JCP, MarkS, Doombar, Allrounder, lakefisher, BristolFlyer, Thomas Tom-Thomas, swampydick, blondie
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report as ever Mc07 - my excitement this week was discovering that Sainsbury,Tesco and Waitrose were all giving 25% off wine. Decisions decisions decisions on who gets my business. Smile Smile
Liked by: mc07fly
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed a couple of hours at the tanks this evening. Arrived about 5.30 and headed straight for 2 roadside. The cold wind seemed to be blowing straight onto the bank, rather than along it as it has last week. The other change was the complete absence of any fish activity...

Fished a couple of spots on roadside with no result, then headed over to tank 1. Fished the south east bank with the wind behind me for about 20 mins, but still not a sign of a single trout...Walked all the way round the natural bank of 2 (cold wind, no trout) then put a few casts in where I'd started the session off, as there were plenty of hawking Martins (but, as it turned out, no trout)

I could look over to tank three from where I was, and I could see the wind was coming across it in an Easterly direction, but decided I'd use the last hour before sunset to try there anyway. The level was about a foot off the overflow on 3, and I fished the pipe for a while with no result. Decided to call it a day there as there was obviously nothing doing. As I was packing up I saw the first fish of the session move in the calm water behind the spit of the pipe, then a few minutes later, another one out in the ripples of open water.

It was twilight by now, but I decided to try again. On went an intermediate and a big fluffy cats whisker. I thought I'd pull it along about 5 to 10 feet below the surface.

Turned out to be a good move. As I was making my first cast more fish started to move, and as I started to lift the line out to make the fourth cast or so, the tip went over and I had my first fish Very Happy . Two casts later, I got a really aggressive pull, which stuck, and soon I had the second fish in the net. Shortly afterwards, the fish stopped moving and the lake felt empty again...

Was really pleased with my two fish, felt I'd worked hard for them. There's nothing like that pull on the line in the last casts of a blank session to make the heart jump Very Happy
Liked by: tenet, Allrounder, swampydick, mc07fly, blondie
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Tom! Your perseverence got it's just reward! Cool

I'll be glad to see the back of this Easterly wind though. Sad

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: Thomas Tom-Thomas
swampydick
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Tom
It was cold last night, I was fishing green lawn where I had another jack pike on a damsel this time.
I managed 2 rainbows last night also on damsel fished off a floater. Clarity was very good with large buzzers coming of the water, where house martins were mopping them up. Lots of swans on the lake practicing the landing techniques which always looks like it should end in disaster but somehow they manage to pull it off.
Guy next to me had a few fish as well as a jack and was bitten off on numerous occasions.
All the boats were moving around a lot this week looking for fish and did not see any boats up top end while I was there.

Cheers mike
Liked by: Allrounder, Thomas Tom-Thomas, mc07fly, blondie
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allrounder wrote:

I'll be glad to see the back of this Easterly wind though. Sad

Looks like you might get your wish Alan. 20c on the forecast now Embarassed

I might try for a dawn patrol session at some point over the long weekend - maybe even take a trip down to Blagdon. Anyone else out and about over Easter?
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last we have lost that cold easterly wind so I decided on an afternoon boat today on Chew today in order to avoid the morning rain. I arrived at around 2pm to find a flat calm lake, little or no wind, around 8ft clarity and mist hanging over the top of the Mendips so things were looking very promising as I set off across the lake. Smile

BWF released 2,400 fish from one of of the cages off Woodford this morning so I decided to avoid that area and start in Herons, which has been good to me so far this season. I started with the 10 foot #5 weight with a buzzer on the point and DBs on the droppers and was greatly encouraged by a couple of taps on the first few casts although they didn't lock up. As a result I decided to try the Bung put had no interest shown at all so when a couple of other boats arrived I decided to try elsewhere.

Next stop was Wick where I decided to alternate between a D5 with Blobs and Boobies on the #6 over deeper water and the #5 weight and nymphs closer in. Again the fish showed no interest in either approach so I then decided to try North Shore. This plan was interrupted on the way over by a dozen fruitless casts off the north end of Denny when I saw a couple of fish move but it wasn't long before I arrived at the corner of North Shore by Picnic area 2.

By now it was past 6pm and much of my early confidence was starting to drain away. I decided to concentrate on the nymph rod although I changed the point buzzer for one of my Black Tadpoles as I needed something to get me out of jail. That proved to be a good move when a few casts later the line tightened up and a fiesty stocky fought all the way to the net before being safely released. It took the Taddy. At not much more than around 2lb it was smaller than average but I never complain about a fish that allows me to avoid a blank! Wink

I was hoping there might be a few more fish by the reeds in that corner but nothing else happened so I decided to have a few casts at the other end of North Shore in the bay by Picnic area 1 before trying Walley bank although in the event that didn't prove necessary. My first cast resulted in a follow as I lifted off and the next hour or so resulted in plenty of stops, taps and pulls resulting in another 7 fish coming to the net. Most took the Taddy on the point although two had a GRHE on the middle dropper and one took a small Green Cruncher on the top dropper. All the fish were the same stamp as the first one I caught on the other end, averaging around 2-4 although they all fought extremely hard for their size. After the 8th fish was released things went very quiet until it was time to go in but I certainly wasn't complaining! Laughing

A couple of pics ....

I love 'soft' days like today on Chew ... ! Cool

Spotted on the way across the main bowl. Most likely a spawnbound female Pike probably around 20lb when she was alive ...

Until next time ... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, mc07fly, arkle, tenet, Doombar, Thomas Tom-Thomas, blondie, Bovver
Thomas Tom-Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot out for last orders today. I've fished Barrow pretty exclusively this year, so despite the fact it was 6.45 before I left the house, when I hit the A 38 at the tanks I turned right towards Chew rather than left towards the car park.

Deep water and time efficiency seemed the way forward, so after buying my ticket I wandered (well jogged actually) down to Woodford bank. It was busy when I arrived and one chap was playing a fish - things were looking good. There were a few big buzzers about, but not much rising, so hedged my bets with a 15 foot leader on a floater, beadhead damsel on the point and a buzzer half way down.

Hooked up on the damsel early on, but the fish went airborne and I lost it. Shortly after, I got a good tug, and had a decent fish on the buzzer. It gave a very good fight and I was pleased to get it in the net. Just over 3 pounds. Switched the point fly to a buzzer too and took another smaller fish about half an hour later. By this point, the air was very buggy indeed. Lots of big buzzers and some bitey things (clegs?)that took a liking to my legs.

Dusk was coming on, and a few more fish were rising, but nothing was coming to the buzzers, so the supersub from last weeks fixture at the tanks - The Cats Whiskers - went on again. For a while nothing happened, and I went all mellow, looking across the monochrome lake at the car lights coming down Harptree Hill and up at the stars. I was just thinking how lucky I was to live in such a great place, when my reverie was rudely interrupted by a solid yank on the line. I was more likely to get pulled into the lake than miss this one, so I landed a fish around the 2 pound mark.

It was properly dark, so I called it quits there. A very enjoyable short session. All the fish were recent stock I think. Everyone else was catching too, though the end closest to Villice definitely looked the most productive.

Hope everyone's having a good Easter weekend.
Liked by: Allrounder, arkle, tenet, mc07fly, swampydick
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had what could be described as an 'Old School' bank session on Chew today by fishing the first few hours from first light and then the last few hours of the day. I decided to fish the Oak Trees and after picking up my two fish ticket I pulled into the car park just as it was getting light enough to tie on my flies. There was no wind at all and the gin clear water and cloudless sky suggested that I had made the right decision in going early before the sun got up.

I fished a floating line on the 10 foot #5 weight with a Red DB on the dropper and a Black Tadpole on the point more in hope than anticipation so was surprised when I lifted into a decent fish that took the Red DB on my very first cast! The fish led me a merry dance in the early morning light and took ages to subdue, which wasn't surprising when I saw it in the net! The scales said it weighed 4lb 7oz and as I prefer bigger fish for the table it was one for the bass bag. After allowing the swim to recover I carried on without any further interruptions and once the sun rose over the Mendips I should have really called it a morning but I fished on until 9am with no further luck. Sad

After spending the rest of the day at home I returned to the lake this evening at 6pm to fish the last few hours before dark. My initial intention was to try another area but the left to right ripple at Oak Trees looked so inviting I couldn't resist! My set up was the same as before although initially I alternated between a Tadpole and a Buzzer on the point and then finally a small Booby while adding a further dropper in order to fish both a green and red DB.

There were two boats a couple of hundred yards below me and I saw them catch 3 or 4 fish between them but they were out in the middle far beyond my casting range! Closer in, the combination of a flat calm, gin clear water and no pulls didn't do wonders for my confidence but I convinced myself that the fish would move in closer once the sun set behind the hills. Soon the boats departed for the jetties and as the light started to fade I started to fish more intently but in truth I was starting to think that I had made the wrong call in picking Oak trees again. Then my line slid forward an inch or two and I instinctively lifted into a fish that seemed to come out of nowhere! It was probably around 2-8 and took a Green DB before it was released after giving a typically good account of itself.

By now the light was fading fast and the fish had made a mess of my leader but I managed to sort it out and as the fishing Gods were obviously on my side, I decided on a few more casts. By now there were one or two fish moving within casting range but I was still surprised when I felt a sharp tug and lifted into my final fish of the day, which was another well mended cracker that was well over 3lb and just didn't want to come in. It took one of the DBs but I don't know which colour as it was too dark to see.

So not a bad days bank fishing ... but why 'Old School'? I think it was Bob Church who used to talk about fishing the 'brackets' by which he meant the hour or so before sunrise and before dark and its an approach that used to get me in trouble with the wife some 30 years ago when my kids were still small. Laughing Living around 30 minutes away from Chew meant I could fish the brackets which my wife insisted was TWO fishing trips but I argued that as they were on the same day ticket they only counted as one! Fortunately now my kids have grown up she is far more understanding! Laughing

Until next time .... Smile

Alan
B.A.S.S.

Liked by: lakefisher, Thomas Tom-Thomas, arkle, tenet, JCP, Bovver, mc07fly, Doombar, swampydick, blondie
Bovver
750 Post Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to try the tanks yesterday despite the bright sunshine... Arrived about 7am and set up on No2 roadside bank with floating line and 3 buzzers. While waiting for Mike Brownsville to arrive I had lost a fish and had some great tugs and nips. Fish were showing all morning and the action was fairly constant with numerous fish managing to shake the hook or not stick at all... By 1pm I had managed 6 all around 1.6lb while Mike took 8.. At times there was no ripple and the fish were still feeding hard... Things slowed around lunchtime so we agreed to return later... 6pm returned to same spot but despite good conditions we both failed to catch, probably should have stuck to nymphs and buzzers but evenings on the tanks always call for the dries.... Fish were freely rising and in places especially off the ramp area of No2 it was a great sight to see. But always out of range and by 8.30 they had not moved closer so we called it a day... Really good fun session.
Liked by: mc07fly, Thomas Tom-Thomas, tenet, swampydick, Allrounder, blondie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Bristol Water Reservoirs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 12 of 19

Jump to: