The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index The Complete Fisher Forum
Social, Fly, Coarse and Sea Fishing with Fly Tying

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Referral CenterReferral Center    CalendarCalendar    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   ChatChat    Fisheries DatabaseFisheries   Donate    RSS Feed
http://www.sølvblank.no

Decent intermediate line

Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Decent intermediate line Reply with quote

I really don't replace my lines as often as I should. i think my Airflo intermediate is about 12 years old now Shock

It has been good, but in a flat calm sometimes it doesn't break through the surface film very well. Can anyone recommend a slow sinking intermediate - preferably on the mid to lower end of the price scale.

Cheers!
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current version of Airflo Slow Glass. Nice slow and very even sink rate but still cuts through the surface no problem. Also sinks on a level plane. Not the cheapest but will last forever (well nearly).

Nicest intermediate I have for casting is the Snowbee neutral density. Beautiful line but simply refuses to sink. Not cheap either.

You could also look at the SKB Ultra neutral density. Always great value and very nice lines.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
Liked by: BristolFlyer
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd the SKB line - they do a neutral density at 0.5" sink rate and an Inty at 1.5" sink rate. Good value at circa £25.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Snowbee, who are re-packaged lines from other makers (?Airflo, which the eq. was a few £'s cheaper) not that impressed t.b.h.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fossil-fish wrote:
Current version of Airflo Slow Glass. Nice slow and very even sink rate but still cuts through the surface no problem. Also sinks on a level plane. Not the cheapest but will last forever (well nearly).

Nicest intermediate I have for casting is the Snowbee neutral density. Beautiful line but simply refuses to sink. Not cheap either.

You could also look at the SKB Ultra neutral density. Always great value and very nice lines.

I found the slow glass in a half price sale so have gone with that Very Happy

I seem to be fishing concrete bowls a lot these days and the swirling winds make floating line control hard. Planning on fishing intermediate line more for slow nymph and buzzer fishing.
Liked by: tenet, fossil-fish, Allrounder
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize it maybe a bit late now, but SKB a.o. do "midge-tip" lines, well worth considering for a future possible addition to one's armory.
Hi there, I have around 40 yrs exp. of tying flies, incl. some semi-pro work. I've taught at adult evening classes, written for and supplied photos for most U.K. fly magazines. Given talks/slide shows/lectures/demonstrations etc. Am founder and life pres. of local Fly Dressers Guild (27years), our members have won more prizes for tying than any other similar club, we've also won several national flyfishing comps. I look forward to both learning from and contributing to this highly respected forum.

Last edited by arkle on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liked by: Allrounder
Allrounder
4,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
I found the slow glass in a half price sale so have gone with that Very Happy

Good choice! I have the Slow and Fast Glass intermediates and find them excellent. If you are on the lookout for new lines then there are still some bargains to be had for around the £25 mark but be quick! Very Happy

The SKB Midge Tip is also highly recommended and it's my 'go to' early season floating line from a boat when the fish are holding a little deeper. Very Happy

Alan
B.A.S.S.
Pike Fly Fishing Association

If you see me on the bank, say hello.
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frustrating first session with the slow intermediate. It started out by not sinking at all - then after an hour the belly started sinking a bit but the last ten yards refused to sink, even in a ripple.

Bad for confidence as with a line profile that resembled a roller coaster track , I wasn't confident that I would be feeling subtle takes. I eventually had a fish on a fast retrieve that hooked itself. Hopefully it will get a bit more 'sinky' with use!
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you clean the line at the end of last season, as any surface oil may have dried onto it & taken a good time to remove itself ?
wylye
250 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:
Quite frustrating first session with the slow intermediate. It started out by not sinking at all - then after an hour the belly started sinking a bit but the last ten yards refused to sink, even in a ripple.

Bad for confidence as with a line profile that resembled a roller coaster track , I wasn't confident that I would be feeling subtle takes. I eventually had a fish on a fast retrieve that hooked itself. Hopefully it will get a bit more 'sinky' with use!

Now you know why you got it in a half price sale.
fossil-fish
2,500 Post Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BristolFlyer wrote:

This is definitely not my experience of any Airflo sinking or intermediate line. I have a slow glass in sixth sense and 40+ version. I also have a fast glass and a di3 and di5 but these don't really get used much. What they all have in common, apart from sinking cleanly through the surface film, is a level sinking plane. Very obvious when you see the line in the water during the retrieve. What you are describing sounds really weird. Could it possibly be a forgery.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/woodfordfly/
BristolFlyer
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkle wrote:
Did you clean the line at the end of last season, as any surface oil may have dried onto it & taken a good time to remove itself ?

It was a brand new line, but I have now cleaned it with washing up liquid as there may have been 'something' on it. I guess it was probably old stock if it was in half price sale but that shouldn't make that much difference. Bought from a well known online retailer so hopefully not a fake.
arkle
2,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that happen with a new inty, but it may been on display in a wndow or somewhere it might have got hot, over a radiator etc so could have been some plasticiser migration ?
tenet
1,000 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough Pino was using a new skb blue inty (11/2"/s) yesterday and initially had the same problem. He carefully ran the line through some some mud, obtained from the anchor, and the line then sank as it was supposed to do. I guess there maybe some sort of coating from the manufacturing process.
JCP
500 Post Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Inty Reply with quote

Hello Flyer

Too late post deleted. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic       The Complete Fisher Forum Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Discussion -> Tackle Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: